UnderGround Forums Gaethje talks Nurmagomedov and damage

9 days ago
1/1/01

Justin Gaethje has a history of fighting as if his priority is exchanging damage until the other man falls. From some perspectives, it's a wise choice. Fans flock to it. And judges have endless methodologies to determine the winner, but in the absence of a finish, it comes down to who hurt who more.

Gaethje fought Michael Johnson in his league debut, and was staggered some, before earning a win. He then lost the next two, the first defeats of his career, to Eddie Alvarez and Dustin Poirier, both inside the distance. While Gaethje went 1-2 in his year in the UFC, the fans won - the three fights earned Gaethje four performance bonuses. And Justin Gaethje ultimately won, as the losses were lessons - he became just one degree less willing to trade.

"The Highlight" is still arguably unequaled in the highlight department. His next four fights were all wins, all inside the distance, winning five performance bonuses, which brought his seven-fight UFC career total to nine. And now Gaehtje is the UFC interim lightweight champion, heading into a unification fight vs. division champion Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 254 next Saturday.

The fighter spoke recently with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell on Morning Kombat and analyzed "The Eagle." What he sees is someone unwilling to take damage. Of course, Gaethje probably sees the same thing in the Jake LaMotta character in Raging Bull.

“I create damage,” said Gaethje. “If I barely miss and barely clip, it’s still damage, damage that’s done. In a 25-minute fight, I will create damage one way or another. The thing about Tony [Ferguson] is that Tony loves that. One sure thing about Khabib is that he does not love that.

“His main priority is to not take damage, so he can live a quality life and that’s admirable. But when I hurt you, where does your mind go when your first thought is, ‘Don’t get hurt?’ I don’t know, I’m excited to see his reaction to that.”

“I’m talking damage of nerves, of bone touching bone. When one person’s bone touches another person’s bone something has to give there. It’s physics. It’s as true as true can be. I think he’s been cracked. I think he’s been clipped, but I don’t think he’s taken sustainable damage like leg kicks, body shots, and things like that. I don’t think nobody has been able to do that.”

“Obviously [the fight] is huge, but internally you have to stay leveled, you have to stay grounded. I can’t make it this huge event because it’s 25 minutes of time and you have to be perfect in that time. That’s all I’m preparing for.”

h/t Danny Segura for MMA Junkie

9 days ago
1/1/01
WFA
8 days ago
1/18/04
This. A big factor in this fight is that Khabib flinches and panics when he is touched.

Gaethje will win this fight.
8 days ago
2/17/03
Son of Neckbone - This. A big factor in this fight is that Khabib flinches and panics when he is touched.

Gaethje will win this fight.

I'm not sure that I'd call it 'panic.' But his reactions to being hit have always looked a bit strange--outside the Edson fight when he was so determined to march forward.

People--including me--forget that Dustin had him on skates for a bit.

8 days ago
7/10/02

I love this crazy SOB. But it also reads as wishful thinking. Barbosa was kicking Khabib hard and dude just continued to plow forward as he knew sitting back would get him destroyed. He took the pain damn well.

But it made me wonder what his approach against Justin will be. Pressure him as well? Gaethje likes to fight up close and exchange blows so it'll be interesting.

The bout itself could be boring or one sided, but damn is it intriguing! So was Izzy-Costa and we now how it turned out...

8 days ago
2/17/03
Sprawl'n'Stall - 

I love this crazy SOB. But it also reads as wishful thinking. Barbosa was kicking Khabib hard and dude just continued to plow forward as he knew sitting back would get him destroyed. He took the pain damn well.

But it made me wonder what his approach against Justin will be. Pressure him as well? Gaethje likes to fight up close and exchange blows so it'll be interesting.

The bout itself could be boring or one sided, but damn is it intriguing! So was Izzy-Costa and we now how it turned out...

Yeah, that's what's so strange.

When Khabib gets hit, his footwork/reactions don't often look good. But it has never caused him trouble. And, in the Edson fight, when his game plan was to charge forward, he never wilted.

8 days ago
7/10/02
wiggum - 
Sprawl'n'Stall - 

When Khabib gets hit, his footwork/reactions don't often look good. But it has never caused him trouble. And, in the Edson fight, when his game plan was to charge forward, he never wilted.

He never wilted indeed. BTW while he totally dominated Barbosa, I also loved how Edson kept trying KO blows till the very end, even if he knew that they were homerun or getting down shots. Conor connected some good shots as well in round 3 and Khabib gladly continued to exchange. Michael Johnson did connect good a few times in round 1 as well, Khabib never changed demeanor.

But it is true when you're going to face Justin or Ferguson, you expect to get battered.... unless you are a TD artist, so we'll see how Khabib reacts if he cannot take him down.

8 days ago
4/22/20
wiggum - 
Sprawl'n'Stall - 

Edson doesn't have the hands, though. Crashing into him is the safe zone. Every wrestler and grappler, sans Makwan, employs this strategy.

What was more intriguing was when Poirier hurt Khabib on his feet and Khabib went into desperation takedown mode and Poirier couldn't find/create space to continue the standup fight. Poirier does have good hands, with power but he also concedes takedowns too easily, imo.
Edited: 8 days ago
2/10/20
Sprawl'n'Stall -
wiggum - 
Sprawl'n'Stall - I love this crazy SOB. But it also reads as wishful thinking. Barbosa was kicking Khabib hard and dude just continued to plow forward as he knew sitting back would get him destroyed. He took the pain damn well.

He never wilted indeed. BTW while he totally dominated Barbosa, I also loved how Edson kept trying KO blows till the very end, even if he knew that they were homerun or getting down shots. Conor connected some good shots as well in round 3 and Khabib gladly continued to exchange. Michael Johnson did connect good a few times in round 1 as well, Khabib never changed demeanor.

But it is true when you're going to face Justin or Ferguson, you expect to get battered.... unless you are a TD artist, so we'll see how Khabib reacts if he cannot take him down.

About third round with conor, khabib remembered he is wrestler and circled around, there were few good conor punches and its bad angle you can see them pretty well at normal speed, but conor as gassed connected clean, but it wasnt enough for caucasian mountains goat, khabib definetly isnt a third diaz brother but u need to be fresh to trully hurt him

8 days ago
2/17/03
Colby Covid19ington - 
wiggum - 
Sprawl'n'Stall - 

Edson doesn't have the hands, though. Crashing into him is the safe zone. Every wrestler and grappler, sans Makwan, employs this strategy.

What was more intriguing was when Poirier hurt Khabib on his feet and Khabib went into desperation takedown mode and Poirier couldn't find/create space to continue the standup fight. Poirier does have good hands, with power but he also concedes takedowns too easily, imo.

100%. That's why Khabib used that strategy against Edson but not Conor and Dustin, IMO. Gaethje has hands that make that approach very dangerous.

Justin showed terrible fight IQ when he hurt Khabib. Justin would not make that same mistake.

8 days ago
4/21/06

I'LL PROVE THE HATERS WRONG

Justin Gaethje says he knows his upcoming fight with UFC champ Khabib Nurmagomedov can change his life forever -- and to steal a line from Hamilton, he's not throwing away his shot.

"The stakes are huge," Gaethje tells TMZ Sports ... "This is life-changing for me. I go out there and get a dub?! This is life-changing."

And, for all of the critics who think he'll get smoked by the undefeated Dagestani, Justin offered up this message ...

"I am prepared and you can bet your bottom dollar I will not go out like no bitch!"

Justin and Khabib -- two friends who share the same manager, Ali Abdelaziz -- are scheduled to throw down for the UFC lightweight championship at UFC 254 on Oct. 24 on Fight Island in Abu Dhabi.

Wanna hear Justin's fight plan?

"I'm gonna go out there and I'm gonna try and break his face, I promise you."

That simple.

We asked Justin what he believes will be the biggest challenge in the fight -- and his response was interesting.

"Right now, this man is gonna be very hard to beat. With the passing of his father -- for people like us that is a driving motivating factor. He's going to be 100% motivated but I do believe ... that I can beat him."

Justin says he knows he has to punish Khabib early and often -- explaining, "If he takes 8 clean shots I truly believe that he will understand that he doesn't want to take this damage."

Justin says the UFC is flying his parents out for the fight -- and when he wins the belt, they'll be the first people he seeks out to celebrate with.

"When I win, I'm gonna go find them and give them a huge hug because we f*cking did it!"

We also asked Gaethje about Conor McGregor -- and if he still wants to fight the Irishman after all of the back and forth over the years.

"When I get this belt, the target will be on my back and I will have no need to call anybody out," Gaethje says.

"Honestly it wouldn't matter who I fought after Khabib. This will cement my legacy and that's the only thing I'm here for."
8 days ago
1/1/01
Colby Covid19ington - 
wiggum - 
Sprawl'n'Stall - 

Edson literally had no straight attacks until just recently.

For such a great and feared kicker, he only employed round and spinning kicks. He didn't have a straight kick like a teep or side-kick in his arsenal.

It's like a boxer with a brutal hook and uppercut not having a jab and a cross.