Champ Khabib Nurmagomedov
1. Tony Ferguson
2. Dustin Poirier
3. Conor McGregor
4. Justin Gaethje
5. Donald Cerrone
6. Paul Felder
7. Dan Hooker

The champ fights #1 Ferguson in the main event of UFC 249 on 4/18 in Brooklyn, NY. McGegregor and Cerrone fight in the main event of UFC 246 on 1/18 in Las Vegas, NV; bout will be at welterweight because MMA. Felder and Hooker fight in the main event of ESPN+ 26 on 2/23 in Auckland, New Zealand. Dustin Poirier is recovering from surgery.

Only Justin Gaethje has no fight scheduled. "The Highliight" is on a three-fight win streak, stopping James Vick, Edson Barboza, and Cowboy Cerrone, all in Round 1, earning a performance bonus in each. In fact, Gaethje has won a performance bonus in each of his six UFC fights.

During a recent appearance on The Luke Thomas Show, Gaethje said he's waiting for a title shot.

“I got the winner of the fight in April, as far as I’m concerned," said Gaethje, as tranascribed by Jed Meshew for MMA Fighting. "Three knockouts in a row. I’m not sure what else I need to do? If there’s someone else in the way, then I would happily go through them, but I don’t think there is.

“So the winner of that is looking most likely. I’m planning on trying to maybe push myself to be ready for around that date just in case something happens but it’s super hard for me to get up for a training camp, to get up for a fight when I don’t actually have an opponent. So I don’t know if that’s gonna happen.”

“Ultimately I got into this for one reason and that’s to fight for a world championship. So if that’s at the end of the road, then absolutely. I don’t want to [wait]. I’m not getting any younger, but I want to fight for the world title. I’m not going to be a fool, I’m going to make smart business decisions from here on out. Not strictly but I mean right now, three wins in a row, three knockouts, three first-round finishes in a row, so that’s what I’m looking for.”

"I think the fact that [McGregor] is fighting at 170 just takes it off the table that the next fight is - who knows? Khabib stated publicly that he won’t fight the guy. I really - he might fight GSP after this - I really don’t know. There’s so many scenarios that could happen right now but in my mind, Conor could fight Cowboy but if he wants to fight for a world title he has to get another win that’s in the lightweight division. It’s as easy as that. It could be me, it could be Poirier. It doesn’t matter which one but it has to happen.”

“I want the winner of Tony and Khabib. When I fought [McGregor] was retired. After I fought he was not retired so that’s why I started calling him out, because that was the most direct path to the title shot. And to avoid him trying to fight somebody else and try to jump past me. I’m under contract, I’m not gonna fight him for any more money. He’s not a champion, I’m not fighting for a world title so I was going to fight him for whatever money is in my contract for the next fight. Doesn’t matter if I fight him, if I fight Poirier, if I fight Hooker, it’ll be the same amount of money. So that is irrelevant. I wanted to fight him because that’s the most direct path to the lightweight championship.”

“If they cover the cost of the training camp, then I’m in [as back up at UFC 249,” said Gaethje. “I need to get in shape anyways, so it couldn’t hurt. But again, you know what it is. Financially, it’s a commitment to train for a fight, especially for a fight like that. I wouldn’t be against it. Ultimately, I want to fight Khabib. I have to fight Khabib. If that’s ultimately how it goes down, I will only be mad at myself if I’m not ready for it.”
Edited: 12/4/19 9:29 AM
9/13/11

Taking nothing away from Donald. You can put whatever numbers you want in front of whatever name you like, no way is cowboy ranked number 5 at LW. Whoever contributes to these rankings should feel embarrassed.

Its time they used statistics and records to rank fighters instead of punch drunk blue belts who email a paragraph to Yahoo every 2 months.

12/4/19 9:27 AM
11/8/08

"Three knockouts in a row. I’m not sure what else I need to do?"

Only three? Lol. 

12/4/19 10:05 AM
1/23/06
Conor could get the winner of Khabib/Ferguson by beating the guy that Gaethje just beat without having to cut weight. It's possible that Justin will have to take another fight before a title shot.
12/4/19 10:19 AM
8/19/03

I wouldn't have an issue with Gaethje getting a shot.   He's one of the few highlight reel-type fighters who is actually good enough to legitimately contend for a title.  

I have no issue with Conor or Poirier, but they both got demolished by Khabib and neither are in a title fight position of you look at it objectively. 

The newer, smarter version of Gaethje is looking really, really good.  His wrestling pedigree, speed,  and hands would make for a very interesting fights against either Khabib or Ferguson. 

12/4/19 10:23 AM
2/15/06
Justin needs to stay flexible and see how things develop. With Conor and GSP floating around still he may have to get another big win before he gets a title shot. Especially since Khabib doesn't fight a whole lot.
12/4/19 10:45 AM
11/20/05

Justin should call it Dustin P and try to avenge his loss. I think it's a very winnable fight for him, and would go a long way in his quest for a title.

12/4/19 10:47 AM
11/20/05
RepsOne -

Taking nothing away from Donald. You can put whatever numbers you want in front of whatever name you like, no way is cowboy ranked number 5 at LW. Whoever contributes to these rankings should feel embarrassed.

Its time they used statistics and records to rank fighters instead of punch drunk blue belts who email a paragraph to Yahoo every 2 months.

McGregor hasn't won a fight in 3 years, and is 1-1 in the division and is still ranked #3...... Yet you choose to pick out Cowboy? At least Cowboy is active, and fighting the best in the division. McGregor maintained his standing punching senior citizens and raping bitches.

12/4/19 11:40 AM
1/23/06
Gaethje/Poirier 2?
Tony beats Khabib.
Khabib and Conor rematch
12/4/19 4:54 PM
6/1/16

I think DP VS him makes a lot of sense. Need to get that one back first imo...then no question, title shot 

12/4/19 4:57 PM
11/20/08
WaltJ -

I wouldn't have an issue with Gaethje getting a shot.   He's one of the few highlight reel-type fighters who is actually good enough to legitimately contend for a title.  

I have no issue with Conor or Poirier, but they both got demolished by Khabib and neither are in a title fight position of you look at it objectively. 

The newer, smarter version of Gaethje is looking really, really good.  His wrestling pedigree, speed,  and hands would make for a very interesting fights against either Khabib or Ferguson. 

Agreed 100%

12/4/19 6:57 PM
1/13/11

If Khabib really did pop, put Gaychee in vs Tony. 

12/4/19 7:25 PM
11/10/18

Funniest thing in that was Gaethje saying he might fight GSP. Lmfao if he really thinks GSP would fight him. These guys are seriously delusional. 

12/4/19 8:10 PM
10/12/15
Eskimo -

Funniest thing in that was Gaethje saying he might fight GSP. Lmfao if he really thinks GSP would fight him. These guys are seriously delusional. 

He said khabib might fight gsp

12/4/19 8:41 PM
4/11/11

Gaetje poses the biggest threat to Khabib, not doubt.

Edited: 12/5/19 8:51 PM
3/12/15

Khabib should want to fight Gaethje to shut up all the doubters. If he never beats a D1 All American level wrestler with a well rounded MMA game then that will be a huge asterisk on his legacy.

A majority of the MMA greats are high level wrestlers with capable striking. And that also happens to be the style everyone thinks would be a nightmare for Khabib. If he beats Gaethje then doubters like myself will have no choice but to shut up and accept his greatness. 

It would be the equivalent of if Brady got traded to the Green Bay packers and beat Aaron Rodgers and Belichicks Patriots. There would be nothing left to say. 

But I predict Khabib will not take this risk.