UnderGround Forums Geoff Neal's coach updates on medical condition

8/11/20 12:15 AM
1/1/01

UFC welterweight Geoff Neal was scheduled to fight Neil Magny at UFC on ESPN+ 33, but the bout was dramatically derailed when Neal announced on his social network that he had been hospitalized for a week, and nearly died.

Neal's coach, Fortis MMA founder Sayif Saud, spoke recently with Brett Okamoto for ESPN, and detailed what happened. neal apparently suffered an infection, fell into critical condition, and was in the ICU for seven days.

"For two days, we didn't know if he was gonna make it," said Saud. "He went to the emergency room on Sunday [8/2], he was septic by the time he got there. I spoke to the nurse and she says, 'We need to take him to ICU right now, he's in critical condition.' That's when my heart really sank.

"They said his white blood cell count was 20,000, when it's supposed to be 12,000. His body was fighting something, but they didn't know what it was. They still don't."

Saud said Neal's heart was failing at one point, and that he was placed on dialysis, but that he is now recovering. COVID-19 was ruled out.

Neal, 29, was given a contract after a win on Dana White's Contender Series, and is currently on a five-fight win streak in the UFC. Neal was replaced by Robbie Lawler in the fight vs. Magny.

8/11/20 12:41 AM
10/24/10

Fuck man. Love watching this guy fight. Hope he fully recovers!

8/11/20 12:57 AM
2/3/10

Well wishes 

8/11/20 1:58 AM
10/5/12

That sucks no matter what age, but definitely more since he's young still. I hope they figure it out so he can move forward safely. He's one hell of a fighter, so I hope it doesn't end his career.

8/11/20 9:47 AM
8/20/03

Well, at least it wasn't space herpes...

8/11/20 9:49 AM
2/17/03

That's terrible.

8/11/20 10:43 AM
1/1/01

Damn. Is he still in the hospital? Poor guy.

8/11/20 6:59 PM
7/28/09

I don’t know what geoff has but I also had a life threatening infection (hospital,icu, induced coma) and that whole process of recovering takes a massive toll on ur body. For literally a year or two.  Hope he is the same sharp killer we have all grown to love. God speed Geoff best wishes

8/11/20 7:25 PM
2/17/03
MDKSDMF - 

I don’t know what geoff has but I also had a life threatening infection (hospital,icu, induced coma) and that whole process of recovering takes a massive toll on ur body. For literally a year or two.  Hope he is the same sharp killer we have all grown to love. God speed Geoff best wishes

I've had a couple. Never so bad that it took that long to recover. But it is absolutely terrible.

8/11/20 10:42 PM
9/27/15
Scary shit. I wonder what caused him to go septic? I've had Rhabdo before but didn't go through anything like Geoff did
8/12/20 2:34 AM
5/3/20
wiggum -
MDKSDMF - 

I've had a couple. Never so bad that it took that long to recover. But it is absolutely terrible.

It’s brutal. It could have been a cutting incident where immune system wasn’t high, and everything began shutting down and became susceptible to infection.

most likely staph of some sort that got into his bloodstream . I’ve battled with staph a few times and felt like death at points, like when I stood up blood pressure dropped, and staph was in the bloodstream. I could only imagine what Neal . Yourself and others have been through. 

8/12/20 9:33 AM
2/17/03
TAPES - 
wiggum -
MDKSDMF - 

It’s brutal. It could have been a cutting incident where immune system wasn’t high, and everything began shutting down and became susceptible to infection.

most likely staph of some sort that got into his bloodstream . I’ve battled with staph a few times and felt like death at points, like when I stood up blood pressure dropped, and staph was in the bloodstream. I could only imagine what Neal . Yourself and others have been through. 

Also, possibly the opposite. He might have had a minor infection and once he began cutting, everything got fucked.