UnderGround Forums Gordon Ryan v. Bo Nickal

22 days ago
1/1/01

heres the problem with BJJ and no gi points.If a guy pulls guard he is avoiding the takedwon points.In wrestling not only is it a takedown if u flop on your ass its also backpoints,.2 takedown and 2 or 3 back points depending if its freestyle or folk.I gaurentee Nickel will fare better in grappling match than Gordan would in a wrestling match.

22 days ago
5/11/11

Gordon just verified Bo will have to engage guard after he gets his takedown points. The only chance Bo has under these conditions would be to dance around, get a last second takedown, and hang on gords hips for dear life.

22 days ago
1/1/01
iqwrestler -

Gordon just verified Bo will have to engage guard after he gets his takedown points. The only chance Bo has under these conditions would be to dance around, get a last second takedown, and hang on gords hips for dear life.

and Gordan has ZERO chance to win a wrestling match..He would get tech falled in 2 minutes Gaurentee Bo does better in a grapplling match than Gordan would in wrestling ..

22 days ago
3/6/07
wiggum - What whiny babies complaining about Bo's ruleset. Gordon--one of the biggest shit talkers in BJJ--fully expected Downey to have special rules if they ever competed and had no problem with it.

We might as well be asking why Gordon doesn't have the guts to wrestle Bo.

Bo stepped up after Gordon had two people pull out. He has never seriously trained BJJ. It's a cool, mixed rules event. Anyone interpreting it any other way is a big baby.

As long as we are saying it’s for shits and giggles then this should be fun. 

it will be just like a training session they could have done in the basement. Cool. 

22 days ago
2/17/03
jkd4200 - 
wiggum - What whiny babies complaining about Bo's ruleset. Gordon--one of the biggest shit talkers in BJJ--fully expected Downey to have special rules if they ever competed and had no problem with it.

We might as well be asking why Gordon doesn't have the guts to wrestle Bo.

Bo stepped up after Gordon had two people pull out. He has never seriously trained BJJ. It's a cool, mixed rules event. Anyone interpreting it any other way is a big baby.

As long as we are saying it’s for shits and giggles then this should be fun. 

it will be just like a training session they could have done in the basement. Cool. 

100%.

It's nothing more than a cool exhibition. Just like Downey v. Nicky Rod and Burroughs v. Askren. Won't be close, but is still cool.

22 days ago
5/11/11
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

and Gordan has ZERO chance to win a wrestling match..He would get tech falled in 2 minutes Gaurentee Bo does better in a grapplling match than Gordan would in wrestling ..

Lol ok? I’m just commenting on the match that’s actually happening. 

Edited: 22 days ago
1/1/01
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

thought the hang on for dear life was kind of a cheapshot when Bo stepped up for his very first grappling match against the best in the world.I have YET to one time see an elite grappler or BJJer take on a top wrestler in a wrestling style match,,That said I been a fan of Gordan since he grappled and beat my friend 2x ( at 170 pounds ) Like 8 years ago.I knew he would be a star but not to this magnitude.Im a fan but Bo should get nothing but props for stepping up and lets see what happens Honestly i expect Bo to take him down then get caught Yes Ill be rooting for BO but am an ex wrestler and purple belt in BJJ

22 days ago
5/11/11
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

thought the hang on for dear life was kind of a cheapshot when Bo stepped up for his very first grappling match against the best in the world.I have YET to one time see an elite grappler or BJJer take on a top wrestler in a wrestling style match,,That said I been a fan of Gordan since he grappled and beat my friend 2x ( at 170 pounds ) Like 8 years ago.I knew he would be a star but not to this magnitude.Im a fan but Bo should get nothing but props for stepping up and lets see what happens Honestly i expect Bo to take him down then get caught Yes Ill be rooting for BO but am an ex wrestler and purple belt in BJJ

Nick Rodriguez literally just wrestled Downey and got dicked on as expected. 

22 days ago
8/4/10

I love this!

22 days ago
2/19/18
Winston Wolf - 
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

There have been at least a few BJJ guys who did straight wrestling. I remember Rolles Gracie took down King Mo in a wrestling match.

I can't really think of many wrestlers who've competed in BJJ either. I know Ed Ruth was competing at blue belt a couple years ago, can't think of anyone beside that.
22 days ago
5/11/11
Yuri keeps calling out Snyder to wrestle too but I’m sure Snyder is too busy for all that.
22 days ago
1/1/01
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

was modified rules just takedowns and a 30 pound weight advantage

22 days ago
2/26/07

Im so in for this I don't even know what else to say

22 days ago
5/11/11
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

And this is modified rules no leg locks or guard pulls.

7/30/03
iqwrestler -

"The only chance Bo has..."

I assume the rules are similar to ADCC rules and if so then Gordon can "attempt" a takedown, for example shoot in on a single, and as long as the attempt lasts 3 seconds or more he can fall back to guard without negative points. From then on, Unless Gordon stood up again, Bo would have to engage his guard or else recieve negative points. Bo has no chance imo.

And for those saying Bo wants special rules. I doubt he asked for anything special. I would not be surprised to hear that Bo accepted the match but the promoters are looking to make it somewhat competative and tried to make the rules as fair as possible for both the wrestler and the bjj competator while still maintaining a submission wrestling format. Flo grappling has been discussing what would be a fair ruleset for matching up wrestlers and bjj guys in submission wrestling for a while so the rules probably had nothing to do with anything Bo requested but instead were made by the promoters. Unfortunately for Bo it is still submission wrestling and Gordon Ryan is certainly one of the best at it so Bo has accepted a match where he is a heavy underdog to win. 

22 days ago
1/1/01

No idea why anyone would complain about a match like this. 

22 days ago
2/17/03
bjjlurker - 
Winston Wolf - 
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

There have been at least a few BJJ guys who did straight wrestling. I remember Rolles Gracie took down King Mo in a wrestling match.

I can't really think of many wrestlers who've competed in BJJ either. I know Ed Ruth was competing at blue belt a couple years ago, can't think of anyone beside that.

Askren entered ADCC very early in his MMA career. Hudson Taylor was just in ADCC. Mark Kerr is an ADCC champion. Randy Couture competed against Jacare. Etc.
22 days ago
12/9/14
wiggum - Holy crap.

Flo has just announced the Bo Nickal and Gordon Ryan will square off in a modified rules submission wrestling match. 15 minutes; no guard pulling; no tech falls; no heel hooks.

Ryan will likely take Bo's back and submit him. But huge props to both guys for putting it on the line.

Possible to win by pin? To bad can't win by technical superiority. Nickel would have leg laced and turned him a few times to get a quick win. The ground game of wrestlers at this level is far superior than any bjj guy. Gordon has a gym body which is useless when wrestling. 

1/1/01
bjjlurker -
Winston Wolf - 
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

almost any NAGA or grapplers quest and many ADCC have had good  wrestlers compete.MOst wrestlers in UFC have done grappling as well.Tito.Matt Hughes Van Arsdale Askren all did ADCC Kerr was the champ at one point the top grappling tourney in the world I have yet to see  aBJJer eneter USA nationals.Chael and Henderson have competed as well

22 days ago
2/17/03
Also, there is a big difference from a BJJer who never wrestled competing in wrestling versus a wrestler with no submission experience competing with submissions.

All competitive BJJers train wrestling in their BJJ training. Pure wrestlers train no submissions at all in their wrestling training.
22 days ago
12/9/14
wiggum - Also, there is a big difference from a BJJer who never wrestled competing in wrestling versus a wrestler with no submission experience competing with submissions.

All competitive BJJers train wrestling in their BJJ training. Pure wrestlers train no submissions at all in their wrestling training.

Lol but I've seen top bjj guys tapping when getting leg laced and turned in wrestling practice. N

22 days ago
7/30/03
wiggum -
bjjlurker - 
Winston Wolf - 
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

Askren entered ADCC very early in his MMA career. Hudson Taylor was just in ADCC. Mark Kerr is an ADCC champion. Randy Couture competed against Jacare. Etc.

ADCC is not wrestling, bjj, sambo, judo, or any other specific grappling style.

The event was created in an attept to see which grappling style was best and it created an mma style of grappling if you will that is known as submission wrestling.

22 days ago
1/1/01
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

in wrestling the idea is to pin your opponent and or get back points This no points for either.3 point near fall or fall

22 days ago
5/11/11
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

in wrestling the idea is to pin your opponent and or get back points This no points for either.3 point near fall or fall

I have enough experience in wrestling to know how the scoring works. If you’re a purple belt then you know the most effective form of offense against a wrestler would be,

guard pull—>leglock. This is every bit as disadvantaged for gord as it was for Pat.

22 days ago
6/27/05
tryonmytoupee -

No idea why anyone would complain about a match like this. 

This forum is filled with gigantic pussies...