UnderGround Forums Gordon Ryan v. Bo Nickal

21 days ago
5/11/11

Gonna be fun to see how Bo looks strength wise against Brazilian supplements Gordon. I loved watching Bo in college, he would stand straight up daring people to shoot just so he could rag doll them.

21 days ago
1/1/01
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

Gordon just verified Bo will have to engage guard after he gets his takedown points. The only chance Bo has under these conditions would be to dance around, get a last second takedown, and hang on gords hips for dear life.

and Gordan has ZERO chance to win a wrestling match..He would get tech falled in 2 minutes Gaurentee Bo does better in a grapplling match than Gordan would in wrestling ..

Lol ok? I’m just commenting on the match that’s actually happening. 

thought the hang on for dear life was kind of a cheapshot when Bo stepped up for his very first grappling match against the best in the world.I have YET to one time see an elite grappler or BJJer take on a top wrestler in a wrestling style match,,That said I been a fan of Gordan since he grappled and beat my friend 2x ( at 170 pounds ) Like 8 years ago.I knew he would be a star but not to this magnitude.Im a fan but Bo should get nothing but props for stepping up and lets see what happens Honestly i expect Bo to take him down then get caught Yes Ill be rooting for BO but am an ex wrestler and purple belt in BJJ

Nick Rodriguez literally just wrestled Downey and got dicked on as expected. 

was modified rules just takedowns and a 30 pound weight advantage

And this is modified rules no leg locks or guard pulls.

in wrestling the idea is to pin your opponent and or get back points This no points for either.3 point near fall or fall

I have enough experience in wrestling to know how the scoring works. If you’re a purple belt then you know the most effective form of offense against a wrestler would be,

guard pull—>leglock. This is every bit as disadvantaged for gord as it was for Pat.

Of course i been caught in leglocks as has everyone and of course Gordan is super at them so yes he has  agood chasnce to win by leglock.Pat was outweighed by 30 pounds.Gordan is only a little heavier than Bo

21 days ago
1/1/01

later

21 days ago
5/11/11
BigMovie -
wiggum - Holy crap.

Flo has just announced the Bo Nickal and Gordon Ryan will square off in a modified rules submission wrestling match. 15 minutes; no guard pulling; no tech falls; no heel hooks.

Ryan will likely take Bo's back and submit him. But huge props to both guys for putting it on the line.

Possible to win by pin? To bad can't win by technical superiority. Nickel would have leg laced and turned him a few times to get a quick win. The ground game of wrestlers at this level is far superior than any bjj guy. Gordon has a gym body which is useless when wrestling. 

I’m dying to know exactly what you mean by technical superiority? As in, their ground game is better for things that only matter in the context of a wrestling match like pinning and leg lacing? 

21 days ago
8/3/12

Cool to see and look forward to it. 

There's no hybrid ruleset you could make where you'd question who the winner would be going in. 

21 days ago
12/9/14
iqwrestler -
BigMovie -
wiggum - Holy crap.

Flo has just announced the Bo Nickal and Gordon Ryan will square off in a modified rules submission wrestling match. 15 minutes; no guard pulling; no tech falls; no heel hooks.

Ryan will likely take Bo's back and submit him. But huge props to both guys for putting it on the line.

Possible to win by pin? To bad can't win by technical superiority. Nickel would have leg laced and turned him a few times to get a quick win. The ground game of wrestlers at this level is far superior than any bjj guy. Gordon has a gym body which is useless when wrestling. 

I’m dying to know exactly what you mean by technical superiority? As in, their ground game is better for things that only matter in the context of a wrestling match like pinning and leg lacing? 

Technical superiority = tech fall 

21 days ago
2/9/09

Gordon by RNC

Edited: 21 days ago
3/9/13

Bo said yesterday on the MMAHour before this was booked that he hasn't started training MMA yet and that he has only rolled a few times, because his focus is 100% on wrestling.

This won't be close to competitive. I'm still interested though.

21 days ago
8/6/06

Seems like a pretty easy sub for Gordon.

20 days ago
3/12/15

Easy win for Gordon atm

20 days ago
5/8/13
wiggum - What whiny babies complaining about Bo's ruleset. Gordon--one of the biggest shit talkers in BJJ--fully expected Downey to have special rules if they ever competed and had no problem with it.

We might as well be asking why Gordon doesn't have the guts to wrestle Bo.

Bo stepped up after Gordon had two people pull out. He has never seriously trained BJJ. It's a cool, mixed rules event. Anyone interpreting it any other way is a big baby.

Yup 

20 days ago
11/6/05
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

Gordon just verified Bo will have to engage guard after he gets his takedown points. The only chance Bo has under these conditions would be to dance around, get a last second takedown, and hang on gords hips for dear life.

and Gordan has ZERO chance to win a wrestling match..He would get tech falled in 2 minutes Gaurentee Bo does better in a grapplling match than Gordan would in wrestling ..

That’s actually a cool scenario to think about, how fast would Bo get submitted vs how fast Ryan would get pinned. Probably the submission might be easier but who knows.

20 days ago
2/17/03
will kerr - 
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

That’s actually a cool scenario to think about, how fast would Bo get submitted vs how fast Ryan would get pinned. Probably the submission might be easier but who knows.

I think it might be easier for Gordon to stall on the feet if he was trying to extend the duration before he got pinned.

20 days ago
2/17/03
My comment is regarding a ruleset that allows guard pulling and heel hooks.

Very interesting what would happen under this rule set.
20 days ago
8/3/12
wiggum - My comment is regarding a ruleset that allows guard pulling and heel hooks.

Full ruleset that allows winning by submission, points or pin... guard pulling and heel hooks allowed, gordon wins by sub 10 times out of 10.

20 days ago
2/17/03
Fern 10th Planet - 
wiggum - My comment is regarding a ruleset that allows guard pulling and heel hooks.

Full ruleset that allows winning by submission, points or pin... guard pulling and heel hooks allowed, gordon wins by sub 10 times out of 10.

I was talking about the question regarding what would happen faster: Bo pinning Gordon in a wrestling match or Gordon submitting Bo in a submission match.

That said, I think Bo would have a chance in a ruleset that prohibits guard pulling but otherwise has your rule set. If guardpulling is allowed, Gordon submits 10/10.

20 days ago
2/17/03
^^Guard pulling is the key rule in that scenario. If it's allowed, Gordon wins 10/10. If it's prohibited, I think Bo wins 9/10 at least. He waits for the big throw and throws to a pin.

20 days ago
8/3/12
wiggum - ^^Guard pulling is the key rule in that scenario. If it's allowed, Gordon wins 10/10. If it's prohibited, I think Bo wins 9/10 at least. He waits for the big throw and throws to a pin.

I doubt he gets a pin, but he could definitely stall on the feet until the final seconds and get a takedown for points.

20 days ago
8/1/09
T?bikan J?dan -
Stu Cazzo -
T?bikan J?dan -

Nothing says scared of jiujitsu like no guard pulling and no heel hooks

The guy has a chance to make the olympics in 2020....why risk that over a silly grappling match?

I agree with that. But I also think it's dumb to sign up for submission grappling against Gordon Ryan under any rule set while he's training for the Olympics.  A kimura or armbar getting cranked a little too far would be disastrous as well.  

Either way, I'll watch it. Clash of the titans

They’ve trained together before. I think both guy knows enough is on the line not to hurt each other. However, Bo doesn’t train Bjj so he probably has no idea how to defend a heel hook. He could accidentally turn the wrong way and ruin his career. Not worth it, even if Gordon is fully in control and not cranking on the sub. All of you bitching about the rule set.... they’re saving the grappling event. Rodolfo couldn’t make it, Eberth pulled out, and now Bo is jumping in to help out. Who gives a shit what rule set it is. It’s grappling and it’s not for a world title. It’s all in good fun. 

20 days ago
2/17/03
Fern 10th Planet - 
wiggum - ^^Guard pulling is the key rule in that scenario. If it's allowed, Gordon wins 10/10. If it's prohibited, I think Bo wins 9/10 at least. He waits for the big throw and throws to a pin.

I doubt he gets a pin, but he could definitely stall on the feet until the final seconds and get a takedown for points.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Bo's wrestling style, but I think a pin is very likely. He has amazing throws. It would take Gordon too long to work his escape. He'd be pinned.
20 days ago
8/13/09

What if they included pins but only from side control? Meaning Bo has to pass Gordon’s guard or score a takedown where he lands in top side control and hold the position for a 3 count? Maybe longer like in Judo?

20 days ago
1/1/01
will kerr -
Winston Wolf -
iqwrestler -

for sure disagree because Gordan has no chance to not be pinned or tech fall while Bo has a chance to not get subbed

20 days ago
1/1/01

i think people are drastically underestimating CURRENT top wrestlers Doubt it will be an easy sub for Gordan but dont doubt it would be an easy pin in wrestling That said Gordan is the best grappler on the planet Bo is not the best wrestler but top notch

20 days ago
1/1/01
Fern 10th Planet -

he not stalling on his feet he getting taken down and easilly multiple times if wanted

20 days ago
2/17/03
John Dougherty - 

What if they included pins but only from side control? Meaning Bo has to pass Gordon’s guard or score a takedown where he lands in top side control and hold the position for a 3 count? Maybe longer like in Judo?

If there is a no guard pull rule, than I would predict Bo to win. His throws are so good. He eventually gets a headlock. The three count might get in the way, though, since Gordon could throw his legs in.