UnderGround Forums Greatest UFC HW champ applies for full-time job

25 days ago
6/27/18

Stipe Miocic and family return to normal life back in Cleveland after winning UFC championship for second time

Returning to normal life also means going back to work: Ryan is a real estate agent, while Stipe is the most famous part-time firefighter and paramedic perhaps in the world. He’s certainly that at the Oakwood and Valley View fire departments, where he’s worked the last 10 years. His first shift back is next week.

In fact, Stipe, who was reportedly paid $750,000 for UFC 241, loves the job so much he recently applied to become a full-time firefighter with the Valley View Fire Department.

“Hopefully, he’ll get it. There are a lot of candidates,” Ryan says with optimism in her voice.

25 days ago
6/27/18

What a fucking joke. Greatest heavyweight champion in UFC history. Still needs a full-time job.

This is a pro league, right? Bigger than the NFL, huh Dana?

No wonder elite athletes say MMA isn't worth it.

The sacrifices these fighters make, the risks they take, the damage they sustain.

The greatest UFC HW champ should be set for life, not hoping for a 40-hour pay cheque.

25 days ago
12/15/11

^agreed.

Edited: 25 days ago
3/12/15
TequilaYuen -

What a fucking joke. Greatest heavyweight champion in UFC history. Still needs a full-time job.

The sacrifices these fighters make, the risks they take, the damage they sustain.

The greatest UFC HW champ should be set for life, not hoping for a 40-hour pay cheque.

Stipe is an elite athlete. He was a multiple sport D1 athlete and probably could have went MLB if he focused purely on baseball.

But I agree with the fighter pay.  

25 days ago
10/3/11
TequilaYuen -

Read dumbass...no need.

25 days ago
6/23/12
TequilaYuen -

I'm not saying they shouldn't be paid more, but I think the point of this is that he likes being a firefighter. 

25 days ago
1/30/10
TequilaYuen -

Chill out ....he’s going back to work because he loves the job, not because he needs money 

25 days ago
3/26/13
TequilaYuen -

Obviously you didnt read the OP, and if you did, then you seriously lack reading comprehension.

25 days ago
1/1/01
Does UFC offer their fighters health insurance? This why?
10/15/13
solidsnake - Does UFC offer their fighters health insurance? This why?

Where in the article does it say "I am applying to be a full time firefighter because i need health insurance"?

And WTF. You've been here since Day 1, you don't know the ins and outs of the UFC??

25 days ago
8/20/03
TequilaYuen - 

I have often said that there should be some sort of pension plan for fighters.

It could be as simple as putting money per fight into some sort of locked retirement vehicle which could also help with taxes.

We were all just talking about how taxes screw fighters as independent contractors, so maybe this might also have a dual purpose of putting together a pension of some sort and assisting with tax issues?

25 days ago
4/2/11

Firefighters are god damn heros. 

Stipe is the man.

25 days ago
12/9/13

all these pro's beaten by an parttimer an amateur, lol

25 days ago
10/9/10
TequilaYuen -

Yeah I agree fighter pay isn’t great but I think his family is doing more than great on that salary 

I’m pretty sure he just wants to be a firefighter 

25 days ago
1/10/13
TequilaYuen -

Stipe is looking for a full time position because challengers like Overeem were making twice as much $ as Stipe did being the defending champion. He has to be the least promoted UFC champion in the last 10 years. When he fought Francis they barely mentioned Stipe in any of the promotions. They thought Stipe would walk right through him. Stipe sat out a year while DC was being praised as the possible P4P greatest, then comes back and knocks out the UFC company man(no disrespect towards DC here). You can bet they will push the Francis rematch on him again. I hope he beats him again.

25 days ago
10/15/13
boxing wiz -
TequilaYuen -

Stipe is looking for a full time position because challengers like Overeem were making twice as much $ as Stipe did being the defending champion. He has to be the least promoted UFC champion in the last 10 years. When he fought Francis they barely mentioned Stipe in any of the promotions. They thought Stipe would walk right through him. Stipe sat out a year while DC was being praised as the possible P4P greatest, then comes back and knocks out the UFC company man(no disrespect towards DC here). You can bet they will push the Francis rematch on him again. I hope he beats him again.

To his detriment, Stipe is quite boring and has zero 'presence'. Promoting him has to be a fucking challenge. 

25 days ago
4/18/19

If Stipe and dc didn’t both make over 2-3 million each for that fight... then I’m not sure what to say. 

Espn and Ufc are getting to keep all of the money since ppv model is gone. 

25 days ago
12/7/10

The UFC is not the bad guy here, Stipe has always said in interviews that he enjoys being a firefighter. I don't think he needs, the job, he likes the job. Good for him. And good for his city. An MMA champion on your firefighter roster is a boss move anywhere.

25 days ago
5/6/16
stainlesssteel - 

The UFC is not the bad guy here, Stipe has always said in interviews that he enjoys being a firefighter. I don't think he needs, the job, he likes the job. Good for him. And good for his city. An MMA champion on your firefighter roster is a boss move anywhere.

This,Also looking ahead to when he can't fight any longer
6/5/12
Captain Canuck -
TequilaYuen - 

It could be as simple as putting money per fight into some sort of locked retirement vehicle which could also help with taxes.

We were all just talking about how taxes screw fighters as independent contractors, so maybe this might also have a dual purpose of putting together a pension of some sort and assisting with tax issues?

they dont need a pension plan, they need to not be fucking retards who think they're ballers and spend like the taps will never be turned off.

I mean, it's not like these idiots get told repeatedly that they should be saving money, that their careers are short, that they will need to develop something to do with themselves 'post fighting/baseball/football/basketball/whatever' 

It always seems to come as a surprise to them that they go broke. Maybe buy a fewer masaratis and fancy suits and watches you posers? 

Plenty of sensible athletes out there know and understand this, they do VERY well by using their money wisely, but you don't hear about them, just the charity cases that are, almost always, dumbasses with money. 

pension, lol. 

25 days ago
1/1/01
Stipe wants and chooses to continue as a firefighter. He loves it. He's stated this before.

OP fail.
9/13/18
TequilaYuen -

He probably loves it, that and I'm sure he'll get good benefits with medical and what not. Correct me If I'm wrong but doesn't the UFC expect their fighters to take care of their own injuries outside of the actual "fight"? That and I'm sure it's a bit of a work out, fires must be crazy in Cleveland lol 

25 days ago
1/13/11

Pretty fuckin smart of you ask me, dudes fighting heavyweights, that shit doesn't last forever. And a firefighting career is a fantastic job to have. 

25 days ago
8/20/03
x9uv - 
Captain Canuck -
TequilaYuen - 

they dont need a pension plan, they need to not be fucking retards who think they're ballers and spend like the taps will never be turned off.

I mean, it's not like these idiots get told repeatedly that they should be saving money, that their careers are short, that they will need to develop something to do with themselves 'post fighting/baseball/football/basketball/whatever' 

It always seems to come as a surprise to them that they go broke. Maybe buy a fewer masaratis and fancy suits and watches you posers? 

Plenty of sensible athletes out there know and understand this, they do VERY well by using their money wisely, but you don't hear about them, just the charity cases that are, almost always, dumbasses with money. 

pension, lol. 

I would think if done properly that not only would the fighters have some kind of retirement money, they would also save on some tax issues, and the UFC could also probably save on some tax issues and by doing so pay the fighters more in the form of some kind of income, be it now or later.

I understand that people are responsibile for their own financial issues but i would think that if set up correctly this could be win/win/win in a lot of ways.

To laugh at the idea and walk away would seem to be incredibly short siighted.

25 days ago
1/1/01

Sounds more like he enjoys being a firefighter rather than needs that money. Can you imagine how wonderful your life would be if you had 2 of your dream jobs? Good for him.