UnderGround Forums Greatest heavyweight boxer to never win a title?

9 days ago
1/22/05

David Tua for me has to be up there. The guy was a case of the right guy for the wrong time. He beat multiple former or future heavyweight champions in Ruiz, Rahman, Maskaev and Moorer. Excluding the tail-end of his career, he had one of the highest KO percentages in the history of the HW division with a left hook that would make Joe Frazier proud. 

When the time finally came for him to get a title shot, he was unfortunate to have to fight Lennox Lewis for the title. There were much lesser champions in the 90's/early 00's that Tua could have easily beaten to become world champion, but Lewis was a master of his craft and beating him was a tough ask for anyone. Ultimately, he never won a title but had his opponents come at a different time in his career, he could have been a multiple time world champ. 

Ike Ibeabuchi is a very big what if in boxing. Ended his career with a perfect 20-0 record before being arrested. He beat David Tua in a close back and forth war of attrition. The final fight of his career - he beat Chris Byrd from pillar to post, but went to prison shortly after and we never really got to see him against some of the other big players of the time like Tyson, Lewis or Holyfield. I've no doubt that if he stayed out of trouble he could have very well been world champ. 

Jerry Quarry is another case of the right guy in the wrong time. Jerry fought in one of the the strongest heavyweight divisions in history with the likes of Ali, Frazier and Foreman ruling the roost. The guy had relentless pressure with an iron chin. He has wins over Ron Lyle and Earnie Shavers, two of the hardest hitters in boxing along with a win over former champ Floyd Patterson.  He was a little small for the division, regularly fighting at under 200lbs and cut easily. Probably his only downfall. 

Ken Norton - This one might be a confusing choice for most boxing fans. Ken Norton never won a world title. It sounds strange to hear it, but it's true. He held a world title, but never won it. He was awarded a title after Leon Spinks was stripped of WBC belt, having won an eliminator fight with Jimmy Young. But he never beat a champion for one. I can't think of anyone who gave Muhammad Ali more trouble over his career (with perhaps the exception of Joe Frazier) than Ken Norton. He arguably beat Muhammad Ali and gave a prime Larry Holmes hell in their fight losing a split decision that nobody would have argued if it went Norton's way. It could be said he was often fighting the judges more than his opponent. 

Who else do you think should be on the list? 

9 days ago
6/24/08
Telofilo Stevenson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS7y-E9fwtk
Edited: 9 days ago
6/14/19

Tim Tomeshek.

With a full camp he could have beaten the duke

9 days ago
1/22/05
Treedoc - Telofilo Stevenson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS7y-E9fwtk

Good call. Would have been interesting to see how he would have transitioned as a pro. Lots of top amateurs failed when coming to pro boxing.
2/14/11

Audley Harrison, here he is testing a youn Wilder...

9 days ago
1/9/05
Audley Harrison is still the third best boxer that Wilder has fought.
9 days ago
1/9/05
Maybe Siverne.
9 days ago
9/24/12
Outlaw’d by Lytle -

Audley Harrison, here he is testing a youn Wilder...

This has to be a joke. Harrison, as a professional, was fucking awful.

9 days ago
1/9/05
I will go with Jimmy Young. He was one of only two men to beat young George Foreman. He also beat the other one, Muhammad Ali. But Young was robbed of the decision in a fight that he clearly won.
9 days ago
7/10/15

I wanna say Razor Ruddock

9 days ago
1/9/05
From 1973 to 1978, Young only had two losses, a split decision loss to Jen Norton and the robbery against Ali. He was still winning fights into the 90s.
9 days ago
12/16/00
Ernie Shavers should be part of the discussion
9 days ago
11/19/19
JOB -

David Tua for me has to be up there. The guy was a case of the right guy for the wrong time. He beat multiple former or future heavyweight champions in Ruiz, Rahman, Maskaev and Moorer. Excluding the tail-end of his career, he had one of the highest KO percentages in the history of the HW division with a left hook that would make Joe Frazier proud. 

When the time finally came for him to get a title shot, he was unfortunate to have to fight Lennox Lewis for the title. There were much lesser champions in the 90's/early 00's that Tua could have easily beaten to become world champion, but Lewis was a master of his craft and beating him was a tough ask for anyone. Ultimately, he never won a title but had his opponents come at a different time in his career, he could have been a multiple time world champ. 

Ike Ibeabuchi is a very big what if in boxing. Ended his career with a perfect 20-0 record before being arrested. He beat David Tua in a close back and forth war of attrition. The final fight of his career - he beat Chris Byrd from pillar to post, but went to prison shortly after and we never really got to see him against some of the other big players of the time like Tyson, Lewis or Holyfield. I've no doubt that if he stayed out of trouble he could have very well been world champ. 

Jerry Quarry is another case of the right guy in the wrong time. Jerry fought in one of the the strongest heavyweight divisions in history with the likes of Ali, Frazier and Foreman ruling the roost. The guy had relentless pressure with an iron chin. He has wins over Ron Lyle and Earnie Shavers, two of the hardest hitters in boxing along with a win over former champ Floyd Patterson.  He was a little small for the division, regularly fighting at under 200lbs and cut easily. Probably his only downfall. 

Ken Norton - This one might be a confusing choice for most boxing fans. Ken Norton never won a world title. It sounds strange to hear it, but it's true. He held a world title, but never won it. He was awarded a title after Leon Spinks was stripped of WBC belt, having won an eliminator fight with Jimmy Young. But he never beat a champion for one. I can't think of anyone who gave Muhammad Ali more trouble over his career (with perhaps the exception of Joe Frazier) than Ken Norton. He arguably beat Muhammad Ali and gave a prime Larry Holmes hell in their fight losing a split decision that nobody would have argued if it went Norton's way. It could be said he was often fighting the judges more than his opponent. 

Who else do you think should be on the list? 

Tua is a good call. Too bad he was like 5-9. Ike Ibeauchi very possibly could have made some noise. He and Tua stood toe to toe and put on a show.

9 days ago
11/19/19

Who else sees Chael in that picture of Jerry Quarry?

9 days ago
1/9/05
While I can't attest to his prowess, the old timers all said Peter Jackson.
9 days ago
1/1/01

Phenom post

ttt

9 days ago
11/19/19
Dory - While I can't attest to his prowess, the old timers all said Peter Jackson.

Too bad he spent more time making Harry Potter movies. He could have been a contenda!

9 days ago
7/20/01
GaryG - Ernie Shavers should be part of the discussion

here.
11/1/03

Can't remenber his name but there was a Mexican middleweight i think who was set for a title shot but raped a young girl [may have be consentual] and went to jail,. He got out but was too old to win a title but was still good. He had big power and speed. I think he was a shue in for the title. Googled him, Tony Alaya Jr, was wrong was a forced rape of a school teacher, got 35 years, served 16 then resumed career won 5 in a row then lost to Yuri boy Campos then breaks into an apt, with 2 women who shot him. Before trial he wins another fight wearing an ankle bracelet and gets 10 years probation. Four years later back to jail for drugs and od's at 52. Guy was a monster in the ring.

9 days ago
4/10/03

Gerry Cooney

9 days ago
11/1/03
Dory - From 1973 to 1978, Young only had two losses, a split decision loss to Jen Norton and the robbery against Ali. He was still winning fights into the 90s.

Had a win [ko i think] over Foreman although he was a slick boxer and not a big hitter.

9 days ago
8/5/17

Memory lane dood. Cool, we’ll set up post.

9 days ago
1/1/01

I think the general consensus is Quarry.  He was really good.  Some people don't (or didn't) consider Mercer a legitimate title holder because he held the more lightly regarded (at the time) WBO belt. He was very good and gave Evander and Lennox both very tough fights. I thought he drew with Lennox.  

9 days ago
1/10/13

I was in Sacramento and watched Ike beat Tua. Ike was very good. As far as best to never win, I'd have to put him at the top. He wasn't around as long as a guy like Jimmy Young, but I think he was better. It's crazy to know guys like fucking Charles Martin have won heavyweight titles and guys like Shavers, Lyle, Young and Quarry didn't. 

9 days ago
7/5/13
PassnSmash -

Gerry Cooney

Him, ken Norton amd Shavers are great picks