UnderGround Forums Guy Mezger vs Tito Ortiz (1997)

5/25/19 2:01 PM
1/1/01
Fabes -
Slash -
Fabes -
TwentyNineTwentyEight -
carcaju - 
TwentyNineTwentyEight - Man, the good ole days! TTT.

It really was. It was a different game back then.

Awesome fight.

True story, Guy was very well rounded for back in those days and is underrated. I still remember his fight with Sak and believing he got robbed, then Ken Shamrock wouldn’t let him continue, lol.

Absolutely. Mezger deserved that win.

He deserved the win because he was more well rounded? Lmao. He got starched and McCarthy saves him.

Against Sakuraba.

Ahh sorry meng!

5/25/19 2:53 PM
11/28/03

was just listening to frank and tito 

tito weighs 217  when trained to fight, pre-cut, weight 217 when fighting frank. weighs 224 when in the ring at 205

frank weighs 188 daily for many years, weighed in for tito at 193 with weights in his pockets (they fought at 199)

188 is what 170 pounders weigh

5/25/19 3:02 PM
5/8/16
Slash -
Fabes -
TwentyNineTwentyEight -
carcaju - 

Awesome fight.

True story, Guy was very well rounded for back in those days and is underrated. I still remember his fight with Sak and believing he got robbed, then Ken Shamrock wouldn’t let him continue, lol.

Absolutely. Mezger deserved that win.

He deserved the win because he was more well rounded? Lmao. He got starched and McCarthy saves him.

I think he was talking about the sak fight.. but I agree total bullshit robbery how John made them stand again when tito was landing brutal knees and guy was almost tapping.. guy wearing 1 glove like art jimmerson

5/25/19 4:28 PM
9/18/09

ttt

5/25/19 4:38 PM
9/12/06

Cool

5/25/19 6:53 PM
2/8/12
Otlwgt - Tito's striking went downhill the further he went in his career..

Looking back on this fight, I was suprised at Tito's striking..

He got worse

No... he got hit and became AFRIAD.

Tito can strike, he just doesn’t like to get hit.  Back in the day he was fearless.

5/25/19 8:37 PM
5/30/03

Crazy how awful the production was

5/25/19 8:41 PM
1/1/01
in all fairness someone post the rematch
5/25/19 10:38 PM
11/28/03

just noticed guy fought with 1 glove

tito tried the shultz choke, guy knew how to defend it

5/26/19 3:14 AM
4/20/08

Tito also crushed Mezger in a rematch 2 years later, always wanted to see the third fight, Mezger improved a lot over the years. 

5/26/19 2:26 PM
10/10/02

I believe he has on 1 glove because he broke his hand if my memory serves me

5/26/19 2:47 PM
9/27/15
TwentyNineTwentyEight - 
carcaju - 

Awesome fight.

I'm glad pride gave Sakuraba the win over Mezger though because Sak in the Grand Prix was great..seeing him battle Royce and then Igor was great, Mezger wouldn't have done nearly as well

OH and Mezger was juicy once he went into Pride ..no doubt about it
5/26/19 3:22 PM
10/17/13
ons ear - 
TwentyNineTwentyEight - 
carcaju - 

Awesome fight.

I'm glad pride gave Sakuraba the win over Mezger though because Sak in the Grand Prix was great..seeing him battle Royce and then Igor was great, Mezger wouldn't have done nearly as well

OH and Mezger was juicy once he went into Pride ..no doubt about it

Igor would’ve smashed Mezger, but I think Guy had the perfect skill set to beat Royce. Good Kickboxing with Takedown Defense is a recipe for disaster for RG.
5/26/19 3:51 PM
10/11/18
TwentyNineTwentyEight - 
carcaju - 

Awesome fight.

Guy is criminally underrated. What really held him back was his lack of Killer Instinct. He'd have a guy on the verge being finished and he'd ease off the proverbial gas. He even dropped Chuck in their fight [PRIDE 14] when Chuck seemed untouchable so Guy had power in his hands.
5/26/19 8:13 PM
1/1/01
ons ear - 
Otlwgt - Tito's striking went downhill the further he went in his career..

Looking back on this fight, I was suprised at Tito's striking..

He got worse

This..i always found it bizarre how loose and effective Titos hands were early on but then he got worse somehow..

This fight should not have been started back on the feet..Mezger was stuck and was taking a pounding..as we saw in the rematch, Tito was much superior fighter

Why was Mezger only wearing 1 Mma glove? Lol

Earlier that night Guy broke his hand in the Christophe Leninger fight.