UnderGround Forums Helwani: UFC 249 location close to being confirmed

4/6/20 12:42 PM
1/1/01

The COVID-19 global pandemic has shuttered nearly all live sports worldwide, but UFC president Dana White is single-mindedly intent on holding UFC 249 on April 18 and following events. However unlikely that appears, Ariel Helwani for ESPN reports that ...

According to multiple sources, the promotion believes it is very close to securing a new venue for UFC 249. It's unclear at this time where the location will be, however, sources said it's looking like it will take place on the West Coast of the United States. The UFC has made a point to not share the specific location with many people outside the company at this time, sources said.

The UFC has explored the possibility of holding the event on a tribal land, which doesn't have to adhere to the regulations of the state athletic commissions, and that possibility is still very much in play, per sources.

The UFC 249 main event is apparently Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje, but the fight reportedly remains unsigned.

4/6/20 1:17 PM
1/27/12

I am still hoping that Khabib will happen. 

Huge accomplishment by Dana if he puts anything together though. 

4/6/20 1:23 PM
1/28/20

HUGE mistake, especially without Khabib. Cant wait until a fighter has to go to the hospital afterwards and gets coronavirus as a result.

4/6/20 1:28 PM
1/22/05

Dana is a moron. Event should be cancelled. 

4/6/20 1:36 PM
1/27/12
Sernie Banders -

HUGE mistake, especially without Khabib. Cant wait until a fighter has to go to the hospital afterwards and gets coronavirus as a result.

jusy some friendly dialogue here...

I am taking this very seriously.  But there is a certain, carefully controlled spread through the population (flattening the curve).  Tons of people NEED to get the virus in order to create a herd immunity.

Even with good social distancing, there is some risk and a slow and necessary spread.

To me, the slight increace in risk to the population vs how fucking awesome it would be makes it reasonable to hold he competition.

Millions interact with delivery drivers every day?  minute? So who cares about a few UFC camps who can then go in to strict quarentine?

Just doesn't seem signifigant in the big picture.

4/6/20 1:58 PM
8/10/05
JOB - 

He's acting like a stubborn child.

This event is a very bad idea for so many reasons. Plus, without Khabib, the main reason of saving a fight that has been postponed so many times is moot.

I've never attacked Dana and most often argued in his favor on here so many times. Anyone who disagrees please feel free to try and prove it. Dana is very wrong in pushing to make an event during a pandemic where in many areas it's reaching its peak. Plus this is a PPV, which historically many people watch in groups to cut out costs. For that alone, this is a very bad idea and breaks social distancing measures which help keep the virus numbers from growing. That's not to mention without proper testing there's even more risk, and with proper testing that means tests, which are limited and needed for those at risk, are simply being used to make a profit.

Edited: 4/6/20 1:59 PM
10/19/12
Sernie Banders -

Wow. Doomsday much? Did you go to the grocery store this week? There are more people there and more likely they are sick than in a giant arena with UFC fighters and staff lol. Let them bang bro. 

4/6/20 2:07 PM
6/23/10

When does Ramadan start?  Idk why this wouldn't be postponed until life resumes as normal and let this be their priority card.  Although it's a good fight, it's not the one anyone wanted to see.  I'd rather see Conor/Gaethje and Tony/Khabib as soon as it's safe and possible.   This is a waste.

4/6/20 2:07 PM
8/10/05
mikethecricket - 
Sernie Banders -

I am taking this very seriously.  But there is a certain, carefully controlled spread through the population (flattening the curve).  Tons of people NEED to get the virus in order to create a herd immunity.

Even with good social distancing, there is some risk and a slow and necessary spread.

To me, the slight increace in risk to the population vs how fucking awesome it would be makes it reasonable to hold he competition.

Millions interact with delivery drivers every day?  minute? So who cares about a few UFC camps who can then go in to strict quarentine?

- Fighters need to travel which isn't recommended at this time.

- Tests are needed for people at risk. If the UFC is testing, they are taking tests from people who need it more. If they aren't testing, well we all know what that means.

- Unemployment is at an all time low (since 1920s?). How on earth is a PPV a good idea right now?

- People tend to gather to afford PPVs. That's a terrible idea during a pandemic, and against public health recommendations.

- Fighters drain themselves to make weight, and exhaust their bodies and immune systems while fighting. Many fighters have admitted they've become sick (cold/flu,etc.) after fights. UFC is promoting unnecessary risk for fighter's health, both pre and post-fight.

- This does NOT compare to risk people take to get food or other necessities. UFC is not a necessity in any shape or form.

Those are just a handful of bullet points as to why UFC 249 is a bad idea. I could keep going on and on...

4/6/20 2:33 PM
1/27/12
Ministry of Truth -
mikethecricket - 
Sernie Banders -

- Tests are needed for people at risk. If the UFC is testing, they are taking tests from people who need it more. If they aren't testing, well we all know what that means.

- Unemployment is at an all time low (since 1920s?). How on earth is a PPV a good idea right now?

- People tend to gather to afford PPVs. That's a terrible idea during a pandemic, and against public health recommendations.

- Fighters drain themselves to make weight, and exhaust their bodies and immune systems while fighting. Many fighters have admitted they've become sick (cold/flu,etc.) after fights. UFC is promoting unnecessary risk for fighter's health, both pre and post-fight.

- This does NOT compare to risk people take to get food or other necessities. UFC is not a necessity in any shape or form.

Those are just a handful of bullet points as to why UFC 249 is a bad idea. I could keep going on and on...

- a few fight camps travelling is a small additional risk compared to the overall level of risk in society as a whole (IMO)

- testing or no, everyone can just assume they are positive after and quarentine for a month.  This event is big enougth to warrant that expence for the UFC.

- Better time than ever for PPV.  No other sports to spend money on.  In times like these, people stop buying big things like TV's, but they will still buy smaller things like beer, pizza, and PPVs.

- Maybe

- I agree.  But c'mon,  they are going in there to get punched in the head, so we all accept some risk to their health for our entertainment, every time there is a figh.

- No, not a necessity.  But worth the exception IMO.

Edited: 4/6/20 2:36 PM
1/26/08
Ministry of Truth -
mikethecricket - 
Sernie Banders -

Traveling is easy right now, there is no one on domestic planes so its pretty safe. Lots of empty flights to get on to or UFC could use private planes.

UFC using 100 tests or whatever is needed is not too much to ask for. There is so many tests being mfg right now and will be here in a few weeks and if you know the right people, they arent hard to get. There is also a at home test you can take now that is being mfg that takes 40 minutes and dont need to send it to a lab. My business partner met with the Dr who created it last week on that one and they should be here soon. Lots going on behind the scene with testing and it wont take long for us to get more if China can keep up with the mfg demand.

Unemployment is high but a lot of them are getting better unemplyment benefits than anytime in recent memory, and if you cant afford the PPV dont watch it. I'll happily pay for it, plus people want to watch live sports right now since there is nothing on.

Fighters knew about this months ago and have been preapring, they will be fine. Plus I assume a lot of the last minute fights will take place at weights which dont require fighters to cut that much weight. 

It is a necessity for the fighters if they want to get paid, they got bills to pay like the restt of us, it's their decision if they want to fight or not and if they want to fight, they should be able to fight. Its 1-1 and not a team sport, it'll be fine as long as everyone at the event is tested before hand.

4/6/20 2:39 PM
10/18/12
Ministry of Truth -
mikethecricket - 
Sernie Banders -

If they pull this off it will do huge numbers, people are bored off their asses and will buy it on their own as opposed to 20 people getting together and chipping in.

4/6/20 2:41 PM
3/20/12

show must go on

4/6/20 3:11 PM
11/10/18

I’d love to watch a live event and I don’t think the risk is a big deal at all. I mean my fucking Wal-Mart is more crowded than it is around Christmas. So if they have a show with no audience and test the fighters and staff prior I think it’s fine. 

However, if the fighters can’t train properly then it’s probably best to not have the show. 

4/6/20 3:18 PM
10/11/18
JOB - 

It isn't just him making the decision to go ahead. WME/Endeavor are calling the shots to keep the events going.
4/6/20 3:25 PM
1/1/01

WME-IMG UFC is bleeding money and ESPN guarantees dollars for a 500k ppv regardless if it only sells 80k. This shows complete desperation putting this on the without the real main event during a global pandemic. 

4/6/20 3:37 PM
11/18/15

If somehow there’s been some bluffing and it’s Tony vs Conor I’ll be so fucking happy and allz good between me and Dana. Tony vs Conor or Tony vs Khabib or go fuck your mother

4/6/20 3:48 PM
8/10/05

Yikes regarding some of the responses, so far. Hopefully no one on the card gets hurt and needs the hospital. Unfortunately, it's unlikely given the occupational hazard. I love MMA and the UFC, but I think this is a very very bad decision for so many reasons, but ultimately, I hope everything goes well.

4/6/20 3:52 PM
1/27/12
Spacezilla -

If somehow there’s been some bluffing and it’s Tony vs Conor I’ll be so fucking happy and allz good between me and Dana. Tony vs Conor or Tony vs Khabib or go fuck your mother

lol I agree accept for the go fuck your mother part

would still watch Tony v Justin tho.

4/6/20 5:23 PM
1/5/11
mikethecricket -
Sernie Banders -

With you, Mike.

Yes, it's just a fight, but the signifigance I was actually having a live event is huge. I think it can be safely done, stream it, for the whole world to see. It would be a great thing for the world to see that live sports still exist.

it would be a great thing for the sport if the UFC could be the first pro organization to get back to it, providing they do it 100% safely. This is just too tied the world over.

4/6/20 5:31 PM
12/17/06
Eskimo - 

I’d love to watch a live event and I don’t think the risk is a big deal at all. I mean my fucking Wal-Mart is more crowded than it is around Christmas. So if they have a show with no audience and test the fighters and staff prior I think it’s fine. 

However, if the fighters can’t train properly then it’s probably best to not have the show. 

This 100%.

The risk is laughable. I take more risk buying vegetables.

4/6/20 5:48 PM
2/26/05
Kirik - 

The COVID-19 global pandemic has shuttered nearly all live sports worldwide, but UFC president Dana White is single-mindedly intent on holding UFC 249 on April 18 and following events. However unlikely that appears, Ariel Helwani for ESPN reports that ...

According to multiple sources, the promotion believes it is very close to securing a new venue for UFC 249. It's unclear at this time where the location will be, however, sources said it's looking like it will take place on the West Coast of the United States. The UFC has made a point to not share the specific location with many people outside the company at this time, sources said.

The UFC has explored the possibility of holding the event on a tribal land, which doesn't have to adhere to the regulations of the state athletic commissions, and that possibility is still very much in play, per sources.

The UFC 249 main event is apparently Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje, but the fight reportedly remains unsigned.

Belarus president government has proposed holding a ufc249 contest in Belarus country !!!
4/6/20 5:51 PM
12/9/13

Khabib knew 6 months in advance and Justin can fight, why doesn't khabib fight?

4/6/20 5:51 PM
2/26/05
Kirik - 

i read one text about ufc 249

Belarus president government has proposed holding a ufc249 contest in Belarus country !!!
4/6/20 6:31 PM
3/26/13
Morpheus1976 -

Khabib knew 6 months in advance and Justin can fight, why doesn't khabib fight?

Exactly.