UnderGround Forums Hiphop thug fighters and sensitivity to smack talk

7 days ago
12/4/18

How come these type of fighters have such a high sensitivity to shit talk before fights? Guys like Marty Usman, Jorge Masvidal, Adesanya seem to take shit talk from their opponents to heart? Why can’t they just ignore it or give it back and have fun with it? Why do they take it so personally and want to fight outside the octagon over it? 

7 days ago
6/6/19
Ugh, it's fighting?
7 days ago
2/23/19

Gotta use what you have in front of you to make the right kind of fuel. We're all different. Some of us need that enemy in our minds to really get the juice flowing. Could be that folks like Usman get more fired up, more passionate, more willing to do road work and drills and endless training sessions when they have a clear antagonist. Chaos magic, brudda. You make reality.

That's how I see it anyway. 

7 days ago
8/24/15

Forgot the diaz bros

7 days ago
10/14/02
its not a " hip hop" thing

its a street thing

a russian street guy or even some french street guy would react very differently to smack talk then some wrestler who who has a BA in math...

the concept of personal honour and not letting anyone disrespect you
is much bigger thing for one group then the other...

because in bad areas in pretty much any country
if you let people disrespect you,
your fucked until your dont...life will be miserable in a way
a middle class kid cant even think off

lol if you didnt grow up in a rough area
it wont sense

sadly to many keyboarders out dont get many fighters
come from those areas and in some sports almost all do

and its not about trying to look hard, its just how childhood in those types of areas shapes you

so its a little funny when people are shocked to see goon behaviour from fighters

should it be there...no
but your dealing with fighters not tennis players who went to ivy school's payed for by daddy the doctor

7 days ago
2/3/10

Because when you grow up in the skreets, respekt is everything. You dont disrespect someone on the streets unless youre ready to get down.

7 days ago
2/3/10
IMasturNateConstantly -

Because when you grow up in the skreets, respekt is everything. You dont disrespect someone on the streets unless youre ready to get down.

Thas all dey got growing up with nothing. Respekt is errythang.

7 days ago
7/30/03

Insecurity?

7 days ago
5/7/13

Some people arent that great and shit talking, but they are good at fighting. They didnt become fighters because they are great talkers.

Some guys can do both, like conor, they understand that selling a fight is also part of their job.

Then you have guys who only talk trash to sell fights but arent really good at fighting. Guys like chael tbh. Seems like a good guy in real life, but knows how to push peoples buttons to sell fights.

7 days ago
5/14/08

You think this is a hip hop thing? You have a little issue with race dont you?

7 days ago
2/23/19
boxingman - its not a " hip hop" thing

its a street thing

a russian street guy or even some french street guy would react very differently to smack talk then some wrestler who who has a BA in math...

the concept of personal honour and not letting anyone disrespect you
is much bigger thing for one group then the other...

because in bad areas in pretty much any country
if you let people disrespect you,
your fucked until your dont...life will be miserable in a way
a middle class kid cant even think off

lol if you didnt grow up in a rough area
it wont sense

sadly to many keyboarders out dont get many fighters
come from those areas and in some sports almost all do

and its not about trying to look hard, its just how childhood in those types of areas shapes you

so its a little funny when people are shocked to see goon behaviour from fighters

should it be there...no
but your dealing with fighters not tennis players who went to ivy school's payed for by daddy the doctor

I'm from a shit hole myself and this rings true. People would be seen as victims and it only led to worse victimisation. Actual victimisation, too, not some theory of oppression you can't perceive without your sjw glasses. Getting the shit beat out of you, daily abuse by various groups, never feeling safe. 

If you allow it, it happens worse. You have to nip it as soon as it starts. Sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.

I don't like talking about this stuff, it always comes off cheesy and there really is a cultural (more class than culture, really) barrier that will just not allow people to understand it. It's looked down upon, because really, it shouldn't be how people act. It's easy to point out the issues with it. But that's just what it is, and if you've never been in it, you'll never get it. And it's different from just bullying. It's the lifestyle of everyone around you. It's your friends and cousins and often dad's aren't much different. And then the girls you like are getting with these guys and you want the girls so you do some shit you aren't proud of and before you know it you're one of the dicks.

Some people get out of that cycle. Some don't. Education really does help. And so does getting away from those types of characters. Which can be hard, because in these less affluent areas, sometimes your mates really are the only ones there for you. Some of the family lives are fucking awful. Mums on smack, dad is an alcoholic etc etc etc. 30 years of a life like that, you can't expect someone to just have grace suddenly. 

But it doesn't matter, trying explain any of this stuff bears no fruit. Trying to give back to your community when you get out of that state is one the best things, imo. I seen that thing with Santos training local kids for free and getting reduced medical bills etc and it's fucking incredible. I really wish he had beat Jon. I'm sure Masvidal does similar shit too. You do often see these types of characters who make it giving back, because they understand how much it's needed.

This was waffley, my bad lads. Hard to put into words.

7 days ago
2/25/15
Just check prank videos online. If they do something disrespectful to some asian college kid, the asian guy will look at you weirdly and go away. Do the same to some poor black guy from a poor city and you might get punched in the face.

7 days ago
12/4/18

7 days ago
6/17/16

7 days ago
6/17/16

It is bigger than the hip hop, my brother.

7 days ago
3/17/17
You could also ask a similar question in why fans are ok with clean cut nerds that talk shit/cause altercations but when its a "thuggish" guy as you said, the outrage is so strong its actually off putting.

Racist undertones? You all love trash talkers and "realness" unless it involves someone thats considered "street" and then its not okay all of a sudden. hmmmmmmmm
7 days ago
4/27/08
Too many rassling fans in MMA...
7 days ago
12/4/18
Sage Northcock - You could also ask a similar question in why fans are ok with clean cut nerds that talk shit/cause altercations but when its a "thuggish" guy as you said, the outrage is so strong its actually off putting.

Racist undertones? You all love trash talkers and "realness" unless it involves someone thats considered "street" and then its not okay all of a sudden. hmmmmmmmm

We don’t like that kind of thuggish behavior out here in the suburbs

6 days ago
10/9/10
Sage Northcock - You could also ask a similar question in why fans are ok with clean cut nerds that talk shit/cause altercations but when its a "thuggish" guy as you said, the outrage is so strong its actually off putting.

What are you talking about? First of all what is a “clean cut nerd”. 

Second of all, no, because there are a ton of people who dislike Ben for his trash talk. There are threads all over the UG. It’s literally happening right now. Is Ben thuggish? 

Thats a narrow point of view. Where I’m from there are plenty of people with different backgrounds/styles/personalities that “talk trash” and plenty of them are considered assholes, some of them thugs. 

The word “thug” is just a term. The reason people call Jorge a thug isn’t because he talks shit... it’s because of his personality and general attitude towards everything/everyone. Or perhaps because he punched another fighter in the face after an event. That type of behavior will more than likely be described as such.

Talking trash before a cage fight is NOT the same as what is considered “thuggish” behavior. I know and have known many actual thugs in my life, many of them of Hispanic/Latino heritage, and there are a lot of parallels between them and Jorge. Not that I think Jorge is a complete thug, he just exhibits some of that behavior. 

6 days ago
3/26/13

They're not sensitive, they're taking it exactly the way it's meant.  It's only in suburban white culture that you're just supposed to brush off obvious disrespect.  The same guys that think nothing of being shit-talked to are the same guys that say stupid shit like "happy wife, happy life" and act like real-life Ray Romanos (the character, not the actual actor).  Just like how people from lower income areas are more aware of the realities of violence, they're also more aware of the realities of disrespect.  Whether you realize it or not, and no matter what people may say to the contrary, people WILL lose respect for you if you allow someone to continue to pick at you, and there are tangible consequences to be a person that isn't respected even if those consequences aren't immediate or readily obvious.  Just b/c you're sharing IPAs doesn't change this reality.

6 days ago
12/4/18

These thuggish fighters should take advise from Dalton and be nice. realize it’s just a job, it’s nothing personal. 

6 days ago
9/21/11

What about Khabib? 

Edited: 6 days ago
11/20/05
God Of Thunder - 

How come these type of fighters have such a high sensitivity to shit talk before fights? Guys like Marty Usman, Jorge Masvidal, Adesanya seem to take shit talk from their opponents to heart? Why can't they just ignore it or give it back and have fun with it? Why do they take it so personally and want to fight outside the octagon over it? 

Especially since playing The Dozens is a prime feature of black urban culture, and consists entirely of insulting each other. Like the retards in 8 Mile.
I don't think they take this stuff seriously. I think they take seriously how they can manipulate naïve people to think they do. I think young white kids are so soft and easily scared these days compared to when and where I grew up that they get all giggly or scared when someone plays the thug routine, so they're fascinated at the boogeyman and fall for it. It's their rap.

Then again, some may believe their own bullshit. Technically, and from a sociological perspective, hip hop "culture" has as its components The Dozens (as evolved into rap), tagging, break dancing and MC'g. Not much in the way of great literature, centers of learning and science, philosophy, medicine, etc. So we're not talking deep thinkers here.

Masvidal has some people thinking he was Scarface or Al Capone, as opposed to a dumb kid fighting with other nobodies over nothing. Seems like a decent guy now. Strikes me as more of a family man beneath the bullshit.
Edited: 6 days ago
6/17/16
God Of Thunder -

These thuggish fighters should take advise from Dalton and be nice. realize it’s just a job, it’s nothing personal. 

Remember when they were going to remake Roadhouse with an all female cast and Rounda Rousey as Dalton?

Think of how that would have been simultaneously so thoroughly utterly terrible yet completely awesome....

6 days ago
11/16/10
Submissable -

You think this is a hip hop thing? You have a little issue with race dont you?

Exactly what race is Hip Hop?