UnderGround Forums Holyfield/Foreman - How'd Foreman stay standing?

Edited: 9 days ago
2/20/09
MM8 -

Holyfield as a bad, bad man. Boxing casuals believe that he headbutted his opponents, because that is what someone told them. Truth is, nobody can find a single example of Holyfield intentionally butting anyone.

People also believe that George was over the hill for this fight, but fail to realize he was something like 25-0 on his COMEBACK!

Either of these two guys would destroy today's current crop of heavyweights.

Holyfield is my GOAT. He was an offensive spark plug, but a defensive genius. Not many guys were as crafty in the pocket as he was. He was willing to take your one, to give you his five.

Truth be told, he is the only 5 time heavyweight champion there ever was.

What?!  The ear-bite fight with Tyson.

9 days ago
1/1/01
How'd he stay standing? Because he's an old-school tough guy who'd been in the ring with the likes of Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Ken Norton etc., and Holyfield was his 72nd fight. George was also enormous, and was mean as fuck. Don't let his nice guy persona fool you. He was/is a nasty sumbitch.
Edited: 9 days ago
11/18/11

This fight was broadcast live on network tv in 1976. It's still the best fight I have ever seen..

8 days ago
2/19/14
Megatherium -

This fight was broadcast live on network tv in 1976. It's still the best fight I have ever seen..

i've never seen that, i appreciate it.

but for me, Bowe/Holyfield 1, round 10 especially, was it. the most amazing round i've ever seen

Edited: 8 days ago
8/13/15
Ya think? We missed out on the best of Ali. That is part of his greatness/mystique, and we dream of the fights we missed during the 3 years he was out. Like Angelo Dundee said: "what you got was plenty, but you didn't see the best of him."
8 days ago
8/13/15
Alonzo_Harris_Monte_Carlo_1979 - 

Ali was only 32. That shit about him being so old is a bullshit narrative. Manny Steward used to to say it best. Ali only had a jab and a right cross. Incredibly overrated.

Smokin' Joe was damn near blind by the time he fought George. That could've gone very differently.  Ali vs. Liston II could've also gone very differently for other reasons.

Only a jab and a right cross? How about the best ring IQ in history, and a heart to match? He also had athleticism that was off the charts in that era. He was like Roy Jones Jr. in that his style bothered boxing purest.
8 days ago
12/30/12
GoffRAMSmahome'sgutsOUT -

Did anyone drop big George other than Ali? Foreman might be the most durable heavyweight ever. He hit like a truck and could take just about any shot. 

Ron Lyle dropped George twice and jimmy young put him down in the 12th but that’s the only times I can think of off the top of my head.

I’m pretty sure George was never knocked down in his second career. To take be able to take shots from guys like Bert Cooper,Tommy Morrison,Alex Stewart,Gerry Cooney,Shannon Briggs,Michael Moorer at 40+ is just beyond words.

8 days ago
3/5/15
Megatherium -

Thanks for posting this. I haven't watched it yet but holy shit at that KO at 90 seconds in. The ref let Lyle beat on Shavers' dome like he banged his wife. Brutal

Gonna rewatch the Holyfield/Foreman fight. I caught that one live. 

8 days ago
3/5/15

That Foreman/Lyle fight was great. The face to face to end, I believe it was the 2nd round, was primal as hell. So was the face off to begin the contest.

Funny to hear Cosell mention the 'just bleed' type fans that would enjoy this fight but it wasn't 'artistic' enough for his refined taste haha.

8 days ago
11/9/18
donkypunch55 -
MM8 -

Holyfield as a bad, bad man. Boxing casuals believe that he headbutted his opponents, because that is what someone told them. Truth is, nobody can find a single example of Holyfield intentionally butting anyone.

People also believe that George was over the hill for this fight, but fail to realize he was something like 25-0 on his COMEBACK!

Holyfield is my GOAT. He was an offensive spark plug, but a defensive genius. Not many guys were as crafty in the pocket as he was. He was willing to take your one, to give you his five.

Show it? Otherwise you just proved yourself as a casual.

I can, however show you the intentional butt from Tyson in fight one, and Tyson trying to break Holyfield's arm in fight two.

Again, don't just spout off if you don't have evidence.

8 days ago
11/9/18
eubie5 -
Megatherium -

i've never seen that, i appreciate it.

but for me, Bowe/Holyfield 1, round 10 especially, was it. the most amazing round i've ever seen

Bowe should have been DQ'd for hitting Holyfield in the back of the head when he fell into the ropes.

Bowe Holyfield 1 is a prime example of what youTube fans miss when they go back and watch fights. They miss the hype, the prelude, the buildup and finally the crescendo of the whole spectacle.

Watching that 10th round, with your heart going 120 bpm was amazing.

Holyfield almost retired after that fight.

8 days ago
2/20/09
MM8 -
donkypunch55 -
MM8 -

Show it? Otherwise you just proved yourself as a casual.

I can, however show you the intentional butt from Tyson in fight one, and Tyson trying to break Holyfield's arm in fight two.

Again, don't just spout off if you don't have evidence.

Evidence?  Watch the second fight.  Tyson showed ready to go.  Every time Tyson hurt that cheating prick Holyfield would purposefully lead with his head so Mike would run into it.

Watch the fight.  It’s blatant and obvious.

I’m not saying Tyson was 100% justified in what he did but Evander definitely deserved something for that cheating garbage.

7 days ago
1/1/01
Incredible fight
Edited: 7 days ago
11/5/16

I wish Foreman was on roids like Holyfield, we’d have seen how shit could be different. Actually it wouldn’t have made a difference because Holyfield was better, but Holyfield was a well known headbutter, he would always do it in the clinches jumping and bobbing around. Good ones are dirty just like in football and other physical sports... tricks of the trade. 

7 days ago
3/20/12

unreal

Edited: 7 days ago
9/8/02
The shot at 3:57-ish is one of the hardest punches I have seen a guy take and still stand.

This was the best Holyfield has ever looked and he beat a very tough George Foreman.
7 days ago
1/12/05
PeterNorth - 

I wish Foreman was on roids like Holyfield, we’d have seen how shit could be different. Actually it wouldn’t have made a difference because Holyfield was better, but Holyfield was a well known headbutter, he would always do it in the clinches jumping and bobbing around. Good ones are dirty just like in football and other physical sports... tricks of the trade. 

He probably was. It's safe to assume that everybody, starting in the 80s, has been on something. 

7 days ago
1/1/01
holyfield was a very small heavyweight. Didn't have the power to stop big george.

7 days ago
8/20/03
MM8 - 

At that point, Forman's economy of motion was so good he could throw punches that looked like they had nothing on them but were hitting like dump trucks. He was just that efficient with his work.

Holyfield is as tough as they come too. He leads with his head and that's why the headbutts happened. He'd also come up from the charge in with his head first and thus more headbutts. None of this was ever intended to actually headbutt, it was just a result of his style.

7 days ago
1/1/01
WhereIsGoranReljic - 

Holyfield was probably thinking , "What sort of steroids do I gotta take to get this guy out of here ?"

This comment needs some love.
7 days ago
1/1/01
cruedi - holyfield was a very small heavyweight. Didn't have the power to stop big george.

Although I am sure Victor Conti did everything he could think of.
7 days ago
3/5/14

Jesus Christ those are two bad mother fuckers in there.   The amount of hard punches they both obsorbed from eachother would make most modern heavyweights puke just thinking about it.

7 days ago
1/1/01
Hurtsogood - 

Jesus Christ those are two bad mother fuckers in there.   The amount of hard punches they both obsorbed from eachother would make most modern heavyweights puke just thinking about it.

BGF almost knocked the tetrahydrogestrinone out of Evander.

--------------

If Holy wasn't juiced, BGF would probably have regained the title. Michael Moorer's lip is still bitter about it to this day.