UnderGround Forums Holyfield/Foreman - How'd Foreman stay standing?

Edited: 10 days ago
1/1/01

I remember watching this fight live and wondering if Foreman's head was really just a bowling ball in disguise. Watching it now I still wonder the same thing.

This was April 19, 1991 for the WBA, WBC, IBF and Lineal Heavyweight championships.

10 days ago
7/24/16

Did anyone drop big George other than Ali? Foreman might be the most durable heavyweight ever. He hit like a truck and could take just about any shot. 

10 days ago
1/1/01

I think Jimmy Young knocked down and beat Foreman, too

10 days ago
2/6/15

Holyfield was probably thinking , "What sort of steroids do I gotta take to get this guy out of here ?"

10 days ago
4/11/11

Foreman had one of the best chins in history.

10 days ago
11/20/08

Holyfield had quite the chin as well, he has been hit by some heavy handed hitters his career.

Big George was just insanely tough, chin of granite and hits hard even in his later years as seen by the Moorer fight, young George fucked up smoking Joe, Ali also had a granite chin but it wasnt George's chin that failed him that fight, it was the mind games the temperature and his cardio.

If Ali and George had a rematch in the US I think it would end differently if George wasnt mind fucked after the first fight, the rope a dope only works once and Ali was out of his prime. Still one of the most amazing fights of all time. Boxing back then was so amazing, it was the golden era

10 days ago
6/7/18

Ali was only 32. That shit about him being so old is a bullshit narrative. Manny Steward used to to say it best. Ali only had a jab and a right cross. Incredibly overrated.

Smokin' Joe was damn near blind by the time he fought George. That could've gone very differently.  Ali vs. Liston II could've also gone very differently for other reasons.

10 days ago
1/16/17
Alonzo_Harris_Monte_Carlo_1979 -

Ali was only 32. That shit about him being so old is a bullshit narrative. Manny Steward used to to say it best. Ali only had a jab and a right cross. Incredibly overrated.

Smokin' Joe was damn near blind by the time he fought George. That could've gone very differently.  Ali vs. Liston II could've also gone very differently for other reasons.

wahwahwahwahwah.

wahwah.

wah.

10 days ago
7/2/15

Just like Tyson,  I think it’s the 3 years out of the game that slowed him down

10 days ago
1/22/05
GoffRAMSmahome'sgutsOUT - 

Did anyone drop big George other than Ali? Foreman might be the most durable heavyweight ever. He hit like a truck and could take just about any shot. 

Ron Lyle dropped him multiple times in their fight. One of the greatest fights in heavyweight boxing history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLXt7nLUgDU
10 days ago
1/24/16

Foreman fought like a fucking mummy but he had power and noone had a better chin. 

10 days ago
7/2/15
dinkledorf -

Foreman fought like a fucking mummy but he had power and noone had a better chin. 

He didn’t have the Best chin but was top 5 definitely 

10 days ago
6/8/10

What was just as impressive is the speed and power Foreman had at 43 years old, Evander was a monster and couldn't put him away. 

10 days ago
2/29/16

Heart. All heart. Even when he was exhausted he was always in it.

10 days ago
7/12/06

Ron Lyle I believe was his name hurt him too. If youve never seen that fight you should. It was a slugfest for as long as it lasted.

10 days ago
7/12/06
JOB -
GoffRAMSmahome'sgutsOUT - 

Ron Lyle dropped him multiple times in their fight. One of the greatest fights in heavyweight boxing history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLXt7nLUgDU

Oops missed this comment. He's right.

10 days ago
11/9/18

I believe Holyfield was 205lbs for this fight.

10 days ago
11/9/18
GoffRAMSmahome'sgutsOUT -

Ali didn't "drop" Foreman. He gassed him until Foreman fell down.

10 days ago
11/9/18

Smoking Joe would have never beaten Foreman. Even if he had six eyes. Way too small.

10 days ago
6/7/18
MM8 -

10 days ago
11/9/18

Holyfield as a bad, bad man. Boxing casuals believe that he headbutted his opponents, because that is what someone told them. Truth is, nobody can find a single example of Holyfield intentionally butting anyone.

People also believe that George was over the hill for this fight, but fail to realize he was something like 25-0 on his COMEBACK!

Either of these two guys would destroy today's current crop of heavyweights.

Holyfield is my GOAT. He was an offensive spark plug, but a defensive genius. Not many guys were as crafty in the pocket as he was. He was willing to take your one, to give you his five.

Truth be told, he is the only 5 time heavyweight champion there ever was.

10 days ago
11/9/18
MM8 -

He must have been 205 for Bowe. I'm going off of memory.

9 days ago
5/31/16
MM8 -

Holyfield as a bad, bad man. Boxing casuals believe that he headbutted his opponents, because that is what someone told them. Truth is, nobody can find a single example of Holyfield intentionally butting anyone.

People also believe that George was over the hill for this fight, but fail to realize he was something like 25-0 on his COMEBACK!

Either of these two guys would destroy today's current crop of heavyweights.

Holyfield is my GOAT. He was an offensive spark plug, but a defensive genius. Not many guys were as crafty in the pocket as he was. He was willing to take your one, to give you his five.

Truth be told, he is the only 5 time heavyweight champion there ever was.

This guy is an idiot

9 days ago
11/20/08

What a fight. Back then the heavyweights really threw down and stayed active for the whole fight. Modern heavyweight division just does not compare.

9 days ago
6/7/18
MM8 -
MM8 -

He must have been 205 for Bowe. I'm going off of memory.

He was definitely 205 for Bowe. Bowe was only 235. Holyfield and camp thought Bowe would quit because he always did in sparring. I've talked to the mitt-man.