UnderGround Forums How do you feel about the Tim Hague death/lawsuit?

9 days ago
5/8/13
Target_the_Gash -

I remember thinking he should have retired from combat at the end of his MMA career (I thought he actually did at first)and then not being impressed that he started boxing, seemed kind of like he was on a rocket ride to his doom. I was sad when he died but not actually that shocked or surprised. It was an obvious tragedy that he continued to compete as it was happening.

Him and other cases like his need to be kept in people's minds so that younger generations can learn from their examples and not make the same mistakes. I don't think combat sports will ever be completely 'safe', but they aren't meant to be. There are ways, however, that prices people pay for their participation can be minimalized so that it is a trade that makes more sense. There is always the possibility that you can be killed or maimed in any number of ways participating in combat sports but there are also ways to be prudent and intelligent about competing.

You only get one brain and one life. 

Another good post 

9 days ago
10/27/03
Jones right nostril -

If a requirement for the fight to happen is that a fucking waiver needs to be signed, then that’s a pretty obvious sign the fight shouldn’t be happening in the first place. 

I feel the family has a case against the commission here. Waiver or not, it was at the very least reckless for them to allow the fight to happen. 

Was this something non-standard?

9 days ago
7/22/05
9 days ago
4/22/13
Jones right nostril -

If a requirement for the fight to happen is that a fucking waiver needs to be signed, then that’s a pretty obvious sign the fight shouldn’t be happening in the first place. 

I feel the family has a case against the commission here. Waiver or not, it was at the very least reckless for them to allow the fight to happen. 

This :(

9 days ago
1/10/13
Jones right nostril -

Not trying to be hurtful or insulting, but who was in his corner for this last fight? At no point did  he ever look like he had any shot at winning.He was dropped three times I believe in the 1st round and once more in the 2nd where it could have been stopped. This wasnt a title fight or even a remotely important bout, is was two journeyman . I doubt it would have mattered, but that final KO should have been avoided. I'm sure he would have continued on though, so as I said it wouldnt have mattered.

9 days ago
8/20/03

He lost a bunch of fights in a row in a short time via head injury tko. 

He never should have been licensed to fight. 

Sometimes fighters need to be saved from themselves.

With concussion knowledge being more and more informed every day, he should have been suspended for a period of time and even then only allowed to return after passing medicals.

These waivers that people sign mean little to nothing either imo.

9 days ago
2/29/16

Edmonton screwed up but they're also learning on the go.

The family wants money and they're not going to get it.

RIP Tim

9 days ago
10/24/03
Mandible_Claw -

Edmonton screwed up but they're also learning on the go.

The family wants money and they're not going to get it.

RIP Tim

A income earning, family supporting father is dead due to neglect from everyone involved - the city of Edmonton included! He has been KOd many times before that fight PLUS when you look at the match up on paper their's no way it should have happened in real life. Both are local guys and medical/fight history information couldn't have been easier to get.

I think his family should get money from the city! If this is what happens because you signed a waiver I don't know why anyone would fight in Edmonton.

Plus, wasn't their a recent law suit in Edmonton about a student suing a BJJ gym even though a waiver was signed? I could be wrong.... 

9 days ago
11/5/13

Didn't he lose by tko/ko  6 times within  a year?.  Im sorry but it's his teams/families fault for allowing him to continue fighting like that.  This just seems insane to me.

8 days ago
10/31/07
MMARAIDER -

He cleary never should of been licensed to fight, but he signed a waiver, so his family has no grounds for the wrongful death lawsuit imo . Sucks that it happened, hes not the first and wont be the last. He knew the risks.  

I agree with this.

8 days ago
8/27/08

He probably had all of 100 brain cells left when he signed the waiver. Commission had one truly important job and dropped the ball.

8 days ago
10/31/07

A concenting adult signed a piece of paper stating they weren’t responsible if he got hurt or die, he died, how is anyone but him responsible? Should the fight of happened? No, should he possibly have not been medically cleared? Sure. None of that changes anything. If a nascar driver has a record of crashing and crashed his last 6 times out racing but wants to race again, crashes and dies is it nascars fault?

8 days ago
5/8/13
NineFightFour -

A concenting adult signed a piece of paper stating they weren’t responsible if he got hurt or die, he died, how is anyone but him responsible? Should the fight of happened? No, should he possibly have not been medically cleared? Sure. None of that changes anything. If a nascar driver has a record of crashing and crashed his last 6 times out racing but wants to race again, crashes and dies is it nascars fault?

Now we’regetting into a good discussion. I think many people feel the way you do. I’m really torn. Can’t commissions have insurance in case someone dies or is that not feasible due to costs etc..? 

8 days ago
11/18/11

Edmonton and Calgary have always been very weak regulatory regimes and this is the plain result. There are very few if any other places in North America where a match like this one could be made. It would have been farcical had it not ended 9in tragedy.

8 days ago
10/24/03
NineFightFour -

But isn't this exact incident the reason for a commission? Otherwise it's just sign the waiver and make the weight, the rest isn't important and that's not right.. 

7 days ago
3/15/15
Sorry, but his decision. A goon will always want to fight. Even at high risk. In a high risk sport, there is little one can do from stopping determined people from permanent injury or worse.
MMA is not a healthy sport, there are literally dozens of "old school" MMaers who suffered log-time permanent afflictions. Unfortunately he knew the risks.
7 days ago
8/14/10

I view it just like going to any job, ever. You get your health evaluated, you are assured you have the right skills and training for teh job, and the environment you work in is healthy. None of that existed.  I used to live in Edmonton and yes their AC is very young and free of regulations. It is for sure their fault for not providing him a safe place to go to work.

Edited: 7 days ago
7/11/12

Did anyone here know Tim? 

Joe Rogan is always banging on about concussions fucking your impulses up, so was Tim taking these fights because he couldn't think straight anymore due to the brain damage, it just seems crazy do boxing after getting ko'd so many times in mma? 

7 days ago
1/8/04
Jones right nostril - 

Did he ever wake up after that and die of swelling to the brain? Or just never woke up again after getting knocked out that bad.
7 days ago
10/5/15
PelosiesPanties -
MMARAIDER - 

He cleary never should of been licensed to fight, but he signed a waiver, so his family has no grounds for the wrongful death lawsuit imo . Sucks that it happened, hes not the first and wont be the last. He knew the risks.  

Signing a waiver is just that, you have waived .........

Please tell us you are not that simple.  This is a more serious version of the apple terms and conditions.  You sign what ever you have to to do what you want.  Doesn’t mean it isn’t a gray area.

7 days ago
8/15/17

Never new about the waiver. I agree I f that’s needed the fight shouldn’t have happened.

Regardless of whether the fight should have happened or not it definitely should have been refed better. The very first time he was dropped the ref was staring at him like you could see him thinking about stopping it and then he goes on to letting him get dropped 3 more times in one round and he ruled one a slip that clearly wasn’t a slip. Tim was clearly outclassed in that fight and the ref really didn’t need to let him get dropped more than twice. 3 knockdown rule in effect or not the ref or somebody in his corner should probably stop it after 3 knockdowns especially if it happens in the first round.

7 days ago
10/31/07
The Sauce -
NineFightFour -

But isn't this exact incident the reason for a commission? Otherwise it's just sign the waiver and make the weight, the rest isn't important and that's not right.. 

It may not be right but no a commission isn’t designed for 100% fighter safety, they are there to make money, it’s a money business. They hire doctors and sanction things and a doctor cleared him to fight, or someone did. He knew the risk, his family and corner knew the risk. He consented. It’s fucking horrible but it doesn’t mean that the ref or the organization or the opponent or anyone is “responsible” for his death and needs to pay his family. I get it, they’re upset but suing for money because someone died doing something they knew was dangerous and signed a waiver stating such seems way off base to me. Maybe it’s the only way the family sees a way to get above water with their finances? I don’t know but I don’t see how this suit moves forward in their favor

6 days ago
1/25/14

When I saw the event I thought it was one of the worst stoppages I had ever seen.

To think he was already on a knockout loss streak, horrible all round.

Also his opponent looked juiced to the gills. 

6 days ago
10/24/03
NineFightFour -
The Sauce -
NineFightFour -

It may not be right but no a commission isn’t designed for 100% fighter safety, they are there to make money, it’s a money business. They hire doctors and sanction things and a doctor cleared him to fight, or someone did. He knew the risk, his family and corner knew the risk. He consented. It’s fucking horrible but it doesn’t mean that the ref or the organization or the opponent or anyone is “responsible” for his death and needs to pay his family. I get it, they’re upset but suing for money because someone died doing something they knew was dangerous and signed a waiver stating such seems way off base to me. Maybe it’s the only way the family sees a way to get above water with their finances? I don’t know but I don’t see how this suit moves forward in their favor

I know that the city is a business but their job isn't to just collect money... If they hire a bunk doctor, how are they not liable? Their job is to over see this and make sure the fighter has done all the proper pre medicals and is fit to fight. 

6 days ago
10/31/07
The Sauce -
NineFightFour -
The Sauce -
NineFightFour -

I know that the city is a business but their job isn't to just collect money... If they hire a bunk doctor, how are they not liable? Their job is to over see this and make sure the fighter has done all the proper pre medicals and is fit to fight. 

If the family can prove they hired a quack that basically lied and said sure he can fight they may have a case, but they’d have to prove there was some sorta collusion going on. Not just that a guy who by most accounts shouldn’t be fighting anymore died from fighting