UnderGround Forums How does Poirier beat Conor?

1/16/21 11:50 PM
2/9/09

...lets try this again, no way am I wrong twice in a row. I just don't see it, Conor is a sniper with insane power. Dustin has to be perfect for 25 min, Conor only needs to be perfect for 1.

1/17/21 1:17 AM
10/30/14

Deep waters. That’s it. 

5th round sub is his best chance. Won’t be easy. 

1/17/21 1:52 AM
12/3/13
Bend The Knee -

...lets try this again, no way am I wrong twice in a row. I just don't see it, Conor is a sniper with insane power. Dustin has to be perfect for 25 min, Conor only needs to be perfect for 1.

If he can avoid getting stopped in the first 10 minutes then he’s got a very good chance. 

1/17/21 1:59 AM
2/22/09
Leg kicks and mix in take-down attempts. Don't get into a boxing match with Conor.
1/17/21 3:30 AM
4/24/09
Mmaster13 -
Bend The Knee -

If he can avoid getting stopped in the first 10 minutes then he’s got a very good chance. 

This

1/17/21 4:12 AM
4/11/10

He can’t. He’s a “happy to participate” fighter like Cowboy - “put on exciting fight” -  translates to a loss. His fight IQ is garbage (see last quote about game plan). I prefer that he wins but he’s journeyman at best who lacks real killer instinct. 

1/17/21 4:43 AM
1/1/15
Dead President -

He can’t. He’s a “happy to participate” fighter like Cowboy - “put on exciting fight” -  translates to a loss. His fight IQ is garbage (see last quote about game plan). I prefer that he wins but he’s journeyman at best who lacks real killer instinct. 

He's done ok for a happy to participate journeyman with a garbage fight IQ.

Also 19 finishes out of 26 wins... imagine if he had killer instinct.

1/17/21 6:07 AM
2/9/09
BJTT-OGtripleOG -
Dead President -

Crazy, imagine if he fought Gaethje and finished him!!

1/17/21 6:20 AM
1/6/10

Get past 10 minutes and it's a lock 

1/17/21 7:24 AM
4/11/10
BJTT-OGtripleOG -
Dead President -

I know what I wrote sound like. But everyone knows there are levels. You need a different mindset for the next one. Think Khabib vs cowboy mindset. Now think where Dustin falls along that spectrum 

1/17/21 8:09 AM
5/5/10
Rear Naked Bloke -

Deep waters. That’s it. 

Agreed . The longer it goes the more it favours Dustin.

1/17/21 8:53 AM
2/9/09
Dead President -
BJTT-OGtripleOG -
Dead President -

I know what I wrote sound like. But everyone knows there are levels. You need a different mindset for the next one. Think Khabib vs cowboy mindset. Now think where Dustin falls along that spectrum 

Probably closer to Khabib 

1/17/21 9:07 AM
11/20/08

Combinations, take down attempts and constant threats, leg kicks, pressure and volume, do not let him settle, do not let him breathe.

He needs to deplete him in the first two rounds.

Cardio is something Conor cannot fix. He just does not have genetically.

Take his body in first two and then when he puts on his "I don't want to be here anymore" face, his soul in the third or fourth.

1/17/21 10:15 AM
10/24/04

Low kicks and takedowns

1/17/21 10:55 AM
4/11/10
Bend The Knee -
Dead President -
BJTT-OGtripleOG -
Dead President -

Probably closer to Khabib 

I don’t agree but I hope so 

1/17/21 11:39 AM
1/1/01
Rear Naked Bloke -

Deep waters. That’s it. 

Slim chance of happening but I agree this is his best chance 

1/17/21 11:53 AM
1/1/01
I think everyone has the right idea, its no secret: Connor is perhaps the most dangerous fighter early in a fight and far less so as the fight moves past R2. What I find problematic is that Dustin was in trouble in spots vs Dan Hooker. Although having just watched that fight, its a different kind of fight than a Connor fight. Dustin Hooker was a war and a lot of the battle was in close. I don't think we've seen Connor in an in tighter quarter brawl. If Dustin can bring Connor into that, he has a better chance of winning but we all know from range sniper Connor is very hard to beat.

So aside from the "avoid the early danger, bring him into deep waters" thing which is obvious, I think the question is how?

RE: leg kicks - I think that is a good idea but leg kicks can also be countered as well so Dustin has to be careful about that.

RE: mixing in tds - I think the GSP/BJ strategy of clinching and wearing on the arms makes sense...but easier said than done of course. Connor controls the range well and its not that easy to get in close on him. And Dustin is not GSP with his distance closing. He's not Khabib either but perhaps he can take a page from Khabib and just try to shoot to cinch.

One thing I am not sure anyone has pointed out however is the success Nate had in fight 2 as well as Floyd no less, in just covering up and walking forward..putting Connor on the back foot. His boxing coach also acknowledged that Connor is a great counter puncher and great pressure fighter himself but what the Nate and Floyd fights show is that there is a difference in Connor countering you when you lunge out at him (ala Aldo, Alvarez) and putting your arms up to cover and walking fwd. Perhaps that is a strategy Dustin can try and mix up with leg kicks and clinching to chip away at Connor's heavy wide stance and wear his arms down to try to really rip it out from R3 ...if he can get there.
1/17/21 3:40 PM
1/24/17
Bend The Knee -

Dustin doesn't have to be perfect for 25 minutes, more like 10 minutes.

1/17/21 3:59 PM
11/10/16

Volume, grinding  and survining.

1/17/21 4:09 PM
10/5/12

Conor will land straight punches off of a regular leg kick, so I suggest disguising the calf kick early with jabs and feints. Stay on your bike and make Conor plant his leg before throwing it. If he doesn't mind giving up a round early he can win in the long run. I think Dustin can win regardless by KO, but I'd favor Conor.

1/17/21 4:18 PM
1/12/05

Do anything but box with him. Clinch, cage press, knees/kicks to the body, feints, chain TD attempts. 

A template I like for Dustin would be Cain's first round effort against JDS in the rematch. He spammed TD attempts, allowed JDS to sprawl and defend until JDS became exhausted after 4 minutes of that. 

1/17/21 4:41 PM
9/19/13

Poirier will be cracked and he will crumble. He is not avoiding being cracked.

1/17/21 6:13 PM
1/1/01
Dead President - 
BJTT-OGtripleOG -
Dead President -

I have to agree with Dead President. Poirer never struck me as elite. He does strike me as a serial over-achiever, though.

Will be rooting for him on Saturday.
1/17/21 6:21 PM
1/1/01
Dustin will have to fight like he did against Joe Duffy. Turn it into a grind-fest and wear Conor down.

I feel Dustin can still bang, but only if he has Conor against the cage and at clinch range. If he tries to bang at distance, he will get knocked the fuck out.

I feel Dustin typically gauges the power of his opponent and if he feels like he can, he'll bang at distance.

He already knows that will not work against Conor. But how will he close the distance? I say he gets Conor to move forward looking for the finish and he clinches and hangs on and drags it to the fence and works from there. Cowboy was already hurt and had nothing for Conor in clinch-range, we'll see what Dustin can do from there.
1/17/21 6:30 PM
2/29/16
InspiritMick -

Get past 10 minutes and it's a lock 

Many said that in the Diaz rematch.