UnderGround Forums How good could Rulon Garder have been in MMA?

4/3/20 1:57 PM
1/1/01

Rulon had 1 fight in MMA and dominated a good fighter in Yoshida.  What if he decided to continue to fight to save his friends and family's farms?

I don't think he would beat Fedor or Mino but he could probably beat a lot of good fighters.  I think he'd struggle against leg kickers but he might embarrass a lot of wrestling based fighters.  Mark Coleman,  Fujita,  and maybe Mark Kerr come to mind.

Discuss

Edited: 4/3/20 2:03 PM
6/1/07
Not very.

Being a professional fighter requires a very specific mindset that not everyone has. Rulon didn't enjoy hurting people. He obviously liked competing in a physically aggressive sport like wrestling, but he didn't like taking it to the next level and actually fighting.

That's what separated him from guys like Coleman and Hendo. They clearly enjoyed scrapping and putting a beating on a guy. Rulon didn't. You can't be great at something if you don't really love what you do.
4/3/20 2:24 PM
1/1/01

I agree that Rulon didnt enjoy hurting people but that's not to say that he couldn't do well if he had to.  He could out jab fujita and Coleman while stuffing takedowns.  If he was fighting to save his cousins family farm I think he could fuck some guys up.

4/3/20 2:28 PM
8/10/05
Steve4192 - Not very.

Being a professional fighter requires a very specific mindset that not everyone has. Rulon didn't enjoy hurting people. He obviously liked competing in a physically aggressive sport like wrestling, but he didn't like taking it to the next level and actually fighting.

That's what separated him from guys like Coleman and Hendo. They clearly enjoyed scrapping and putting a beating on a guy. Rulon didn't. You can't be great at something if you don't really love what you do.

This.

4/3/20 2:31 PM
1/3/20
Steve4192 - Not very.

This!
4/3/20 2:46 PM
10/14/08

He wouldn't have done well or gone very far. As others have said he didn't have the mindset to be a fighter. It's not just about physical abilities. Not everyone can be a fighter even if they have the tools and the physicality.

Good and great fighters enjoy fighting. Look at Fedor, Vovchanchyn and Renzo gracie as three examples. To be successful in fighting it's necessary to have killer instinct and a desire to actually fight.

Some people are not cut out for that. There's no shame in that, and it's not a bad thing at all.

4/3/20 3:06 PM
6/1/07
It's like Chris Leben said, you have to be a little 'off' to be a pro fighter. It's not something normal people want to do.

--------------------

"Fighters are like strippers; they ain't paying their way through college. If you don't understand what that means, you have to realize that there is always something underlying with all of us. Nobody in their right mind, no normal, sane person, goes ‘[expletive] college, screw my guidance counselor. I'm going to put all my chips in one basket to become a cage fighter so I can get the crap kicked out of me in front of other people.' Obviously, there is something wrong going on there."
Edited: 4/4/20 4:03 AM
4/5/10

He was Greco (no leg attacks) maybe Free like Coleman would have given him problems...

4/4/20 4:10 AM
4/8/13
Steve4192 - It's like Chris Leben said, you have to be a little 'off' to be a pro fighter. It's not something normal people want to do.

--------------------

"Fighters are like strippers; they ain't paying their way through college. If you don't understand what that means, you have to realize that there is always something underlying with all of us. Nobody in their right mind, no normal, sane person, goes ‘[expletive] college, screw my guidance counselor. I'm going to put all my chips in one basket to become a cage fighter so I can get the crap kicked out of me in front of other people.' Obviously, there is something wrong going on there."

Haha did Leben really say that? He's incredibly right

4/4/20 4:13 AM
4/8/13
Terry Tendleton -

He was Greco (no leg attacks) maybe Free like Coleman would have given him problems...

This is a great talk about why Greco guys tended to do better in MMA than the free who are more and better athletes than the greco wrestlers. It boils down to posture: greco guys train upright in wrestling while free guys tend to wrestle crouched. It's an easier transition going from standing to ducking a punch to a takedown than from crouching, to standing, to ducking for the takedown: https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/35c7rj/technique_talk_luke_thomas_chats_with_chael/

4/4/20 4:59 AM
1/1/01

It's really too bad we didn't get to see him jump in rather than just stick a toe in the pool.

4/4/20 7:37 AM
1/12/05

The first time he threw a punch at someone was in training 2 weeks before the Yoshida fight. He wasn't about that life. He turned down over a million dollars to fight Fedor in Russia. 

4/4/20 8:34 AM
1/1/01
Floppy Divac - 

It's really too bad we didn't get to see him jump in rather than just stick a toe in the pool.

That toe is in a jar of formaldehyde in his refrigerator.
4/4/20 1:07 PM
1/1/01
samichlaus -
Floppy Divac - 

That toe is in a jar of formaldehyde in his refrigerator.

That’s low,  but funny

4/4/20 1:07 PM
1/1/01

At least he doesn’t have to worry about toe holds

4/4/20 1:11 PM
1/1/01

Not sure he was explosive enough to get in on a striker. Once hands on, he will be tough

4/4/20 1:34 PM
9/27/15
Floppy Divac - 

Would have been cool to see Karim Graber stay in Mma as well
4/4/20 3:10 PM
5/28/03

He would have won fights and probably been incredibly hard to submit.

But the sauced outta their minds strikers would have tee'd off on him at the start of every round.

4/4/20 10:29 PM
1/1/01
Tim Duncan - 

At least he doesn’t have to worry about toe holds

LOL

I like you. You got moxie!
4/4/20 10:38 PM
1/1/01

With the right mindset he could’ve been a champ...