UnderGround Forums How long before tall black guys take over the UFC?

4/13/19 10:49 PM
6/27/02
TequilaYuen -
KirkBJJ - 
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -

Well... they're 1-2 tonight.

They are but I had the exact same thought as OP... some of these guys are just young or inexperienced. The size difference that body type creates is such a massive advantage. 

It's an advantage, but what fights keep showing is that skills are more important.

Greg Hardy is also big, tall, black and athletic. He sucks because his skills are weak.

Francis vs Stipe, Kongo vs Mir, Hunt, and Roy Nelson, Corey Hill vs everybody.

Tall and black only gets you so far.

I totally agree. What I mean is it’s a great place to start... you obviously need to be good too and get the experiences like he had tonight. But even though Turner lost, which one of those fighters tonight in that match do you think has the higher upside? I’d say Turner without a doubt. 

4/13/19 10:51 PM
2/2/12
CMFanforlife -
God Of Thunder -
scourge - Now?

Not yet but in the next 10 years. I just feel like that is the perfect body type for mma. 

You could be right because they separate them by weight. It’s very unrealistic. Imagine what a good 6’4” trained fighter would do to Izzy boy if he weighed 240 like most 6’4” men do?  He’d beat the fuck out of stick man. Skinny fuckers get beat down in the real world. In the fake world they are seen consistently winning fights against 5’8” fighters. 

Today is a bad day for skinny bitches so far. And after Kelvin knocks stick man out maybe it will resemble the real world. 

And I only say that because I’m old and out of shape and I’m jealous lol

Manlet detected.

4/13/19 10:52 PM
6/3/11
Smirk -

The Russians will be dominating in 5 years

People been saying that for 10 years. 

4/14/19 12:43 AM
1/19/12

Johnny Walker as well

Edited: 4/14/19 1:39 PM
12/4/18

It’s unfair

Edited: 4/14/19 1:42 PM
7/8/16
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -
Anek -
God Of Thunder - 
scourge - Now?

Not yet but in the next 10 years. I just feel like that is the perfect body type for mma. 

I think reach is more important than height.

Yeah, Jon Jones isn't THAT tall for 205. His reach is what's abnormal, it's freakish. That combined with his wrestling, and he's better off than any really tall fighter. 

He is pretty tall though. Gus is the tallest at 6'5" and Jones is only an inch or inch n half shorter then him.

4/14/19 1:43 PM
4/27/14

4/14/19 2:36 PM
1/1/01
Anek -
God Of Thunder - 
scourge - Now?

I think reach is more important than height.

Nah I'm 6'4" the ability to lean on people is very helpful 

4/14/19 2:44 PM
1/16/05

It depends on the fighter, man. Look at the Klitschko brothers. White and dominated for a decade or so. MMA is even more difficult to dominate due to so many disciplines and intangibles.

4/14/19 3:01 PM
1/16/12

The good ole stupid height advantage argument.

Youre height is only an advantage if you’re using it to beat your opponent. Ie Kelvin in the first round throwing shots Izzy could not see coming from that angle. Then Kelvin getting clipped down the middle  

4/14/19 4:25 PM
3/9/19

The difference between Jon and Isreal and other tall black guys is their iq. You can tell they are much smarter than the average person (100 iq) , let alone Africans. (85 iq) 

4/14/19 4:35 PM
7/2/09

hey guys have you heard of this new fighter Stephen Struve?  I think he's going to turn the HW division on its head.

4/14/19 4:49 PM
1/12/05
Region Rat - 
Smirk -

People been saying that for 10 years. 

Khabib might have made MMA seem like a legitimate career choice for guys who are far better wrestlers than him. He's a huge star in Russia. The old argument that Russian judoka and wrestlers didn't know/care about MMA is in the past.

I don't think any one group will dominate the sport, though. I think we'll see some crazy good freestyle wrestlers soon.
4/14/19 4:53 PM
12/4/18
MatureHippo -

The difference between Jon and Isreal and other tall black guys is their iq. You can tell they are much smarter than the average person (100 iq) , let alone Africans. (85 iq) 

I agree with this. Dc and Usman being other highly intelligent black men who stand out from the pack. We’re not gonna see some enbonics talking street thug as a champion. 

4/14/19 5:00 PM
9/27/15
Smirk - 

Only if their elite wrestlers start entering Mma but for now, they aren't..right now, only their b level athletes are fighting and they will never be champions

But guys like Adesanya are gifted with the perfect body type and genetics(speed, reflexes, height, reach) for Mma..very very few white or Hispanic men are built similarly to Desanya and other black Mma fighters..we saw a very tough and experienced Gastellum do a great job despite having a bad body type for Mma..
4/14/19 5:17 PM
10/26/05

DC thinks short black guys are the future. 

4/14/19 6:35 PM
7/24/02
Anek - Statistically, height is not an advantage unless there's also a reach advantage. Reach is a huge advantage though, and the advantage increases as the reach disparity increases.

We could predict that MMA will eventually be dominated by fighters with long arms for their height, but it already is. The average arm to height ratio is considerably greater in fighters in the UFC than in the general population.

Source: Fightnomics

I think height on its own can matter for some things, like leverage for guillotine chokes for instance.
4/14/19 7:05 PM
1/4/15

as far as im aware tall black guys have been around since at least1993.

thats when the ufc started.

as far as i aware no singular race has had dominance in that nearly 30 year time perod.

Its been a mix of white guys, black guys, latino guys, asian guys and arabic guys.

Edited: 4/14/19 7:10 PM
12/4/18
watahhh -

as far as im aware tall black guys have been around since at least1993.

thats when the ufc started.

as far as i aware no singular race has had dominance in that nearly 30 year time perod.

Its been a mix of white guys, black guys, latino guys, asian guys and arabic guys.

But Zero Indian fighters from India. Why is that?

4/14/19 8:28 PM
1/12/05
ons ear -
Smirk - 

Only if their elite wrestlers start entering Mma but for now, they aren't..right now, only their b level athletes are fighting and they will never be champions

But guys like Adesanya are gifted with the perfect body type and genetics(speed, reflexes, height, reach) for Mma..very very few white or Hispanic men are built similarly to Desanya and other black Mma fighters..we saw a very tough and experienced Gastellum do a great job despite having a bad body type for Mma..

Fedora and Khabib are C level Russian combat sportsmen. I eagerly await their second best 

Edited: 4/14/19 8:57 PM
12/7/14

we saw an early portent of this when Manute Bol (with a reach over 100 inches) vanquished the fearsome William Perry (an early DC prototype) in a boxing match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpBnZoWqt6A

4/14/19 11:55 PM
1/19/12
jgiveshead -

hey guys have you heard of this new fighter Stephen Struve?  I think he's going to turn the HW division on its head.

Fucking Stefan fights like he has T-Rex arms.

4/15/19 1:26 AM
6/17/16
The Stewed Owl -

Damn, Monica, you da supafly.

4/15/19 8:54 AM
4/14/16

True but I imagine Isreal was way longer.  He goes in deep when he bangs so we will have to acknowledge now how Kevin took it.

4/15/19 9:00 AM
2/25/15
MatureHippo - 

IQ measures specific parts of intelligence. Jones is a genius when it comes to Bodily-kinesthetic, but that doesn't mean he would kill it at an IQ test.