UnderGround Forums How will you remember Demetrious Johnson?

Edited: 8 days ago
1/1/01

UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya recently added his vote the countless others choosing Demetrious Johnson as the best pound-for-pound fighter in MMA. The inaugural UFC flyweight champ, who recently won the inaugural ONE Championship Flyweight Grand Prix and next fights ONE flyweight champ Adriano Moraes, appeared recently on ESPN’s FAIR GAME and talked about it.

“I will say I will go down as one of the greatest ever which means there is going to be more people,” Johnson said, as transcribed by Abhinav Kini for Body Lock MMA. “For me to say ‘oh, I’m the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, I’m better than Jon Jones, I’m better than this person’…I think that brings a little cockiness.

“Overconfidence as one person would say. For me, I start to think to myself, I hope, fingers crossed, I hope when my time comes that people will look back like ‘man, he was probably one of the best to ever do it but he definitely is up there.'”

“I don’t tell everybody what’s going on in my mind. Of course, I believe in my skill-set. Is it fair for me to say that my skill-set is beyond everybody else’s in the world? I don’t know. I haven’t fought everybody in the world.

“I think that’s what makes me so great and what makes me strive better — I always think that there’s somebody out there who’s better.”

8 days ago
1/1/01

Who da fook is dat guy?

8 days ago
9/19/13

I'll remember him as the guy who never lived up to his own hype. And it's not because I don't think he could. I think he definitely could have. I just think that he didn't take enough risk and that's why nobody will really remember him.

8 days ago
1/23/06

Edited: 8 days ago
1/23/06

8 days ago
12/6/05
A fighter of cans. Just concerned with his padded record streak and scared to fight the big fights. Don't miss him at all.
8 days ago
2/29/16

A guy who couldn't win at 135 so he became the best in a weak division with no intention to move up in weight to fight better guys.

8 days ago
11/8/19

A little dude 

8 days ago
11/10/19

WTF ARE U KIDS TALKING ABOUT? HE HAS FOUGHT AND BEAT THE VERY BEST! HAS JHON JONES FOUGHT AT HW?????? HAS HE ONLY FOUGHT AT 205?  GO A HEAD, I WILL WAIT!  WHAT ABOUT KAHBIB?  ONLY FOUGHT AT 155 EVEN THOUGH HE WALKS AROUND AT 200!  GIMME A BREAK!  

M,M IS THE GOAT PERIOD! NOT GSP, NOT JJ, OR KAHBIB!  THE MOUSE IS #1

8 days ago
10/5/13

Probably the most or one of the 2 or 3 best of all time bar none.

His “problem” isn’t talent, it’s he’s too small and in the wrong weight class for maximum interest and the big $

8 days ago
11/10/19

PS....GSP was the most boring fighter to ever do MMA!  Fing blanket!  As bad as Fitch! Y'all must have Forgot!

What other Champion could have pulled off an armbar during a throw? Easy! No one but MM!

Drops mic...

8 days ago
2/15/06
IamHe - 

WTF ARE U KIDS TALKING ABOUT? HE HAS FOUGHT AND BEAT THE VERY BEST! HAS JHON JONES FOUGHT AT HW?????? HAS HE ONLY FOUGHT AT 205?  GO A HEAD, I WILL WAIT!  WHAT ABOUT KAHBIB?  ONLY FOUGHT AT 155 EVEN THOUGH HE WALKS AROUND AT 200!  GIMME A BREAK!  

Hey DJ!!
8 days ago
2/15/06
I will remember DJ as a real talented guy who fought in a weaker division and never really stepped up for big challenges.
8 days ago
5/10/03
StrikingMMA - I will remember DJ as a real talented guy who fought in a weaker division and never really stepped up for big challenges.

Sounds like Jon Jones

8 days ago
9/19/13
StrikingMMA -
IamHe - 

Hey DJ!!

IKR.. like calm down junior

8 days ago
2/17/03
He is fighter from whom I learned the most by watching him fight. His streak was amazing. His list of best wins--Benavidez, Cejudo, Horiguchi, and Dodson--isn't as good as Fedor, GSP, Aldo, or Jones. But he is in the next tier of all-time greats.

His second Dodson fight is as good as I've ever seen a fighter.
8 days ago
11/28/03

incredible fighter, and super well rounded

8 days ago
7/10/15

someone who didnt wanna test himself cause of money....instead of those multiple rematches at fly, he couldve moved up and tested the waters ala Anderson...but no he sat back

8 days ago
1/31/06

amazing fighter and so underappreciated.  he fight guys his size or bigger.  Jones avoids fighting people his size

8 days ago
10/18/12

Who?

8 days ago
11/16/19

Hmm - thinking about it, to me he'll be a guy a heard a lot about but rarely ever actually watched fight. I think I saw him vs McCall the first time and that is the only fight of his I think I ever saw. I'm not sure why - I gave up on MMA for a few years, and I suppose he just wasn't on the cards I ended up watching back when I did watch it more frequently.

8 days ago
9/2/10

Fantastic ability and skillset but just not someone I got overly excited to watch.

8 days ago
2/15/06
oranos - 
StrikingMMA -
IamHe - 

Hey DJ!!

IKR.. like calm down junior

Too many Rock Star energy drinks?
7 days ago
9/15/16

When DJ was about to break Anderson’s title defense streak, he petitioned with the UFC and demanded he fight ray borg instead of TJ dillashaw. cejudo said he’ll handle that , goodbye DJ.

7 days ago
8/2/11

The throw to armbar