UnderGround Forums How will you remember Demetrious Johnson?

3 days ago
10/27/03
wiggum - It's bizarre that people think that MM wouldn't test himself, but don't make similar comments about GSP, Silva, Jones or Aldo--none of whom bumped up during their title reigns.

Of them, only Mighty Mouse ever fought for a title at a higher weight class.

It’s because TJ dropped the weight and came  down to him. Many have refused to go up a division and fight. No champion has ever refused to fight someone  dropping to their own divison before.

It looked especially bad after years of complaining about having no big name fights and no big paydays.

In hindsight he can always say TJ was cheating the entire time.

3 days ago
8/22/14
wiggum - It's bizarre that people think that MM wouldn't test himself, but don't make similar comments about GSP, Silva, Jones or Aldo--none of whom bumped up during their title reigns.

Andson did step up twice. Whilest not for a title i give him huge credit. 

I know you probably ment for a title but i say that to make the point...   i honestly dont think the ufc would have been into GSP or Anderson stepping up for a title back then. This was before the champ champ era. The ufc seemed to want to protect their champions. As if it were a loose loose and no matter who won someone's brand would be devalued. 

That's certainly the impression i got at the time. I know BJ did it but i cant think of anyone else off the top of my head. 

I don't think there was another example of a champ going up for a title shot.

2 days ago
6/24/05
He wasn't a fan favorite, but undoubtley one of the most skilled fighters of all time, if not the most skilled.
2 days ago
4/24/14

As a fast little black guy. Bald.

2 days ago
6/14/19

Being a man who is the best p4p at 125lbs is like being a gold medalist at the special Olympics.

Prestigious award but I'd rather not be retarded, or in Johnson's case I'd rather stand higher than five apples tall and weigh more than an adolescent boy.

2 days ago
2/27/15

Amazing how many in here buy Dana’s bullshit. Since when does a division champion have to change to a different weight to ‘prove they’re the best’...retarded. There are weight classes for a reason. He didn’t have to jump weight to prove anything and it shouldn’t be considered ‘ducking’ if the person isn’t in your fucking weight class. 
GSP stayed at WW most of his career and didn’t get a quarter of the shit that MM did for not going up. Same as Jon Jones. Haven’t seen him fight at HW yet...but no one seems to have a problem calling him the GOAT. Bunch of hypocrites in here sometimes 

2 days ago
1/16/12

Overrated when mentioned as the goat

Him beating Cejudo (twice imo) did make him top 5 of all time. Cejudo went on to beat Dillashaw & Marlon at 135 secured his greatness

but at 135 let's not forget he was no god. Only at 125s paper thin division was he able to do damage. 

2 days ago
11/23/03

A very talented guy who did everything in and out of the ring to be boring.

2 days ago
2/24/11

A pretty swell guy.

2 days ago
2/24/11
Whambo - Big fish, small pond. The blatant ducking of TJ when there was such little competition will always stick out to me.

That said he's one of the best to ever do it.

DJ said TJ couldn't cut the weight and DJ was too decent to say what he already knew which is that TJ will have to be juiced to the tits to make weight. 

Time proved him right bur people forget faster than a gold fish and instead rewrite history. 

2 days ago
2/17/03
thetouchofdeath - 

And he lost and never tried to get that title again or fight the champion of that division. Even when TJ offered to drop down DJ stepped down.

UFC treated him poorly. He had an all-time great title run and had no obligation to fight for a promotion for which he did not want to fight.
2 days ago
2/17/03
FingerorMoon - 

It’s because TJ dropped the weight and came  down to him. Many have refused to go up a division and fight. No champion has ever refused to fight someone  dropping to their own divison before.

It looked especially bad after years of complaining about having no big name fights and no big paydays.

In hindsight he can always say TJ was cheating the entire time.

You might disagree with DJ's reasons, but he did have reasons: https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/7/15743188/demetrious-johnson-lays-out-reasons-why-he-doesnt-want-to-fight-t-j-dillashaw
2 days ago
2/17/03
bungee up - 

I know you probably ment for a title but i say that to make the point...   i honestly dont think the ufc would have been into GSP or Anderson stepping up for a title back then. This was before the champ champ era. The ufc seemed to want to protect their champions. As if it were a loose loose and no matter who won someone's brand would be devalued. 

That's certainly the impression i got at the time. I know BJ did it but i cant think of anyone else off the top of my head. 

Anderson's best opponent a weight class up was Forest.

Mighty Mouse's best opponent a weight class up was the reigning world champion, Dominic Cruz.
2 days ago
2/17/03
ChiefMac - 

Amazing how many in here buy Dana’s bullshit. Since when does a division champion have to change to a different weight to ‘prove they’re the best’...retarded. There are weight classes for a reason. He didn’t have to jump weight to prove anything and it shouldn’t be considered ‘ducking’ if the person isn’t in your fucking weight class. 
GSP stayed at WW most of his career and didn’t get a quarter of the shit that MM did for not going up. Same as Jon Jones. Haven’t seen him fight at HW yet...but no one seems to have a problem calling him the GOAT. Bunch of hypocrites in here sometimes 

2 days ago
3/25/16
wiggum -
bungee up - 

Mighty Mouse's best opponent a weight class up was the reigning world champion, Dominic Cruz.

To be fair, Forrest Griffin was a former light heavyweight champion by the time he fought Anderson Silva. It's not like he was a nobody.

2 days ago
2/24/11
wiggum -
bungee up - 

Hey hey hey 

DJ is awesome and doesn't need us fans to tarnish other greats legacy to pimp up his own.

DJ had a fantastic run in a weight division he was too small for.

A. Silva beat the No1 WW on the planet at the time in Sakurai, the second best title run in history at MW and beat the exiting LHW champ (ranked in the top 5 at the time). He is one of the very rare fighters to hold top 5 wins in 3 weight classes. 

Both are awesome and it is subjective who is better. 

2 days ago
7/27/04
wiggum -
bungee up - 

DC

2 days ago
7/27/04
Acidic -

Overrated when mentioned as the goat

Him beating Cejudo (twice imo) did make him top 5 of all time. Cejudo went on to beat Dillashaw & Marlon at 135 secured his greatness

but at 135 let's not forget he was no god. Only at 125s paper thin division was he able to do damage. 

Fought for the title at 135.And did well in the striking vs Dom

2 days ago
3/12/16
wiggum -
thetouchofdeath - 

And he lost and never tried to get that title again or fight the champion of that division. Even when TJ offered to drop down DJ stepped down.

UFC treated him poorly. He had an all-time great title run and had no obligation to fight for a promotion for which he did not want to fight.

How exactly did the UFC treat him poorly?

2 days ago
2/17/03
Wooper - 
wiggum -
bungee up - 

To be fair, Forrest Griffin was a former light heavyweight champion by the time he fought Anderson Silva. It's not like he was a nobody.

Responding to this post and to Grindonline and EKPOGI:

I did not mean to tarnish what Silva did. Silva is an all-time great with a better legacy than DJ, IMO. His win over Forest is genuinely impressive. And I forgot about the DC fight. But, by that point, Silva was at a far different point in his career. (Of course, so was DJ when he fought Cruz).

My point is simply this: (1) Contrary to what is commonly acknowledged, MM fought for a title a weightclass up from his natural weight class. (2) Like MM, Jones, Aldo, GSP and Anderson did not bump up a weight class during their title reigns to fight top-flight competition. Anderson fought Forest, and that's the most we can say.
2 days ago
2/17/03
thetouchofdeath - 
wiggum -
thetouchofdeath - 

How exactly did the UFC treat him poorly?

https://www.fightsports.tv/mighty-mouse-opens-up-on-ufc-mistreatment/
1 day ago
8/22/14
wiggum -
Wooper - 
wiggum -
bungee up - 

Responding to this post and to Grindonline and EKPOGI:

I did not mean to tarnish what Silva did. Silva is an all-time great with a better legacy than DJ, IMO. His win over Forest is genuinely impressive. And I forgot about the DC fight. But, by that point, Silva was at a far different point in his career. (Of course, so was DJ when he fought Cruz).

My point is simply this: (1) Contrary to what is commonly acknowledged, MM fought for a title a weightclass up from his natural weight class. (2) Like MM, Jones, Aldo, GSP and Anderson did not bump up a weight class during their title reigns to fight top-flight competition. Anderson fought Forest, and that's the most we can say.

Anderson finished both opponents impressively. Dj came up short.

Not taking a dig just noteworthy. 

As far as him being mistreated. 

I disagree. He got a massive push at the start. They did everything to try to get him to catch on. Probably for at least 4-5 fight when they started th fly weight devision.

To the point they were force feeding people with him as a headliner. 

I bring that up because nobody mentions that but it's the absolute truth. 

When they did all that and he simply didn't draw for shit thats when the animosity started.  They wanted him to go up because they knew that would be the only chance of a fight that would sell. He wanted a guaranteed pay day of 2 million but had fuck all leverage in tems of what he brought to the table in previous sales. 

The ufc was at the point of scrapping the devision it was that lackluster.  

All that shit was between them and im not taking sides.  

Personally i was soured by the initial hype and my general lack of interest in fly weights.  It put a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of his time with the ufc.

The ufc is no angle though. They've fucked over plenty of fighters before.  I'm not exactly going to cry a river on DJ's behalf on this one though. 

1 day ago
7/28/08

That's the victim of the most heinous robbery in UFC history.