UnderGround Forums How would Royce have done without Gi?

12 days ago
1/1/01

I think Royce benefited from the Gi early.  No way does he sub Ken quickly without it.  Royce can fight without the Gi and actually did better without it when he fought Yoshida.

Do you think history is different if the early UFC banned Gis?

12 days ago
3/12/07

The gi was definitely an advantage for him. He would have had greater difficulty with any of the fighters who had a wrestling base without the gi.

11 days ago
5/10/04

Ken might have won UFC 1.

I loved what he did to Yoshida though.
One of my favorite Royce fights!
11 days ago
7/27/04
Tim Duncan -

I think Royce benefited from the Gi early.  No way does he sub Ken quickly without it.  Royce can fight without the Gi and actually did better without it when he fought Yoshida.

He didn't use the gi and didn't even use hooks to rnc the world's most dangerous man

11 days ago
7/21/18

Same results

11 days ago
11/28/03
EKPOGI - 
Tim Duncan -

He didn't use the gi and didn't even use hooks to rnc the world's most dangerous man

he had an unusual kind of hook with his left leg hooking kens right

ken insists it was a gi choke

never looked like it to me

Edited: 11 days ago
11/2/12
ranier wolfcastle -
EKPOGI - 
Tim Duncan -

I thought it was a reverse Ezekiel choke , the hand around the neck is grabbing the inside of the other gi sleeve . Could be wrong but that’s how I remember and looking at the pics it’s that or rnc 

11 days ago
10/31/07

I think he would of done better

11 days ago
5/10/04
Chadsaw - 
ranier wolfcastle -
EKPOGI - 
Tim Duncan -

I thought it was a reverse Ezekiel choke , the hand around the neck is grabbing the inside of the other gi sleeve . Could be wrong but that’s how I remember and looking at the pics it’s that or rnc 

When Ken dropped back for a leg, Royce rode his own gi.

That position was significant, and led to the choke.