UnderGround Forums I have zero respect for fighters who...

13 days ago
11/23/07

try to renegotiate every fight.  fight for your contracted amount and stop whining.

13 days ago
7/21/18

Yeh, fuck them for trying to earn more money. Bastards!!!

13 days ago
11/8/08
Jinton Quackson -

try to renegotiate every fight.  fight for your contracted amount and stop whining.

You've never asked for a raise at work?

13 days ago
3/22/16
Jinton Quackson - 

Hi Dana!
13 days ago
11/23/07
JoeHurley -
Jinton Quackson -

during the duration of a prenegotiated contract?  no.  if I work hard enough to deserve a bonus great but that's a separate category from base pay.

13 days ago
11/18/14

if you knock the fucking shit out of a good name, mid-contract, talk mad smack and your worth suddenly jumps.. seems rough to say you can't have a quick word.

if people ask for a pay rise every 10 minutes they can fuck off

13 days ago
1/24/16

How much money do you make OP?

13 days ago
2/9/09

I sort of agree. Too many grey areas honestly 

Edited: 13 days ago
11/8/08
Jinton Quackson -
JoeHurley -
Jinton Quackson -

during the duration of a prenegotiated contract?  no.  if I work hard enough to deserve a bonus great but that's a separate category from base pay.

You understand that this is part of the normal negotiation process in sports right? NFL, NBA. MLB, etc all have players who ask to renegotiate contracts and even holdout refusing to play in games. It may seem like whining to you based on your profession and experience, but this how it's done in sports.

And to be fair, you dont know the tactics the organizations use in negotiations. They're not victims being taken advantage of by dishonest fighters who dont want to honor their contracts.

13 days ago
8/2/11

There is probably a middle ground here where in some situations fighters should get more and some where they should honour their contract. 

For Dustin and Tony I don't know the details but if it were a main event I'd understand some negotiation. In this case I side with the UFC but I am purely speculating on what has gone on

13 days ago
10/20/10

I agree with OP, here's a scenario.

If a fighter signs let's say a 6 fight deal worth 100k per fight and wins the first 4 by KO, hes entitled to ask for a raise? 

So let's swap it, if he loses the first 4 by KO, going by what others are posting, the UFC should be able to drop their pay?

13 days ago
4/20/08
crudz -

If a fighter signs let's say a 6 fight deal worth 100k per fight and wins the first 4 by KO, hes entitled to ask for a raise? 

So let's swap it, if he loses the first 4 by KO, going by what others are posting, the UFC should be able to drop their pay?

Ummm 9 times out of 10 the UFC cuts them, I'd call that a pay cut

13 days ago
4/20/08

What's the incentive to promote yourself and try to become more marketable as a fighter, which in turn brings in way more money for the ufc, if you're just gonna keep earning the same amount for years and years? The UFC can easily fuck you on a loss, should be able to fuck them when they need favors or you start becoming more valuable, which is what they allegedly want. 

13 days ago
10/27/03

The UFC is close to a monopoly. It’s not an open market place and all negotiating power is on their side of the table. They’ll openly fuck you as hard as they can and your only recourse is to win a few fights and renegotiate later and at that point IF they think you have some unique value that can’t be easily replaced they’ll throw you a few more bucks.

Every fighter should renegotiate any time they can.

13 days ago
10/27/03
crudz -

The UFC cancels the contract entirely in the swapped scenerio you just posted. And keeps  your likeness rights for both republished AND new materials such as video games forever, even after you die.

So yes, the fighter should ask for a big raise if he wins by KO 4 times in a row.

13 days ago
9/5/11

Not a good look to frame this debate with “having no respect for fighters”...

But it’s not really debatable that OP’s central premise is correct. 

A contract is exactly that. And most contracts define the precise period when renegotiation can occur. Typical business is to renegotiate at the end of the contract or during the agreed upon period designated for renegotiation. 

It is not typically considered good business to have contracts that allow for moment to moment changes of heart. Definitely wouldn’t want to hire someone to build my house under those “terms”. 

13 days ago
5/8/20
Jinton Quackson -

They probably have none for you either! 

12 days ago
5/4/14
crudz -

Well the promotion can cut them after a loss, but if the fighter is on a win streak they can't leave to fight somewhere else mid contract

12 days ago
9/24/18

Sign shorter contracts. Simple.

11 days ago
8/1/07
JoeHurley - 
Jinton Quackson -

Depends, salary or contract? If you sign a contract then you honor it, full stop.
11 days ago
7/21/10

Would you bitch if if they dropped your pay when you get finished quickly? Then don't ask for a raise when you perform. Business 101 

It's a contract. The contract length is your total performance, not 1 fight. After your mechanic puts 2 tires on well, should he raise the price for the next 2? 

11 days ago
12/7/14
JoeHurley -
Jinton Quackson -
JoeHurley -
Jinton Quackson -

You understand that this is part of the normal negotiation process in sports right? NFL, NBA. MLB, etc all have players who ask to renegotiate contracts and even holdout refusing to play in games. It may seem like whining to you based on your profession and experience, but this how it's done in sports.

And to be fair, you dont know the tactics the organizations use in negotiations. They're not victims being taken advantage of by dishonest fighters who dont want to honor their contracts.

And you understand in those other sports you listed that once a player signs a contract they honour it, they don't play 20 games, do really well then say they won't play unless they up their yearly amount. 

What a stupid comparison. You are pretty much agreeing with op

11 days ago
11/23/07
Licks72 -

Would you bitch if if they dropped your pay when you get finished quickly? Then don't ask for a raise when you perform. Business 101 

It's a contract. The contract length is your total performance, not 1 fight. After your mechanic puts 2 tires on well, should he raise the price for the next 2? 

boom

11 days ago
2/17/03
TheGrandConjuration - 
JoeHurley -
Jinton Quackson -
JoeHurley -
Jinton Quackson -

And you understand in those other sports you listed that once a player signs a contract they honour it, they don't play 20 games, do really well then say they won't play unless they up their yearly amount. 

Other sports have unions or strong associations. They often have free agency or other forms of competition for talent.

11 days ago
12/7/14
wiggum -
TheGrandConjuration - 
JoeHurley -
Jinton Quackson -
JoeHurley -
Jinton Quackson -

Other sports have unions or strong associations. They often have free agency or other forms of competition for talent.

I understand that very well just didn't get why he was comparing fighters who are trying to get more money mid contract to players in leagues that sign contracts and then have to honour them.

There is free agency in fighting too althought its obviously not the same.