UnderGround Forums If PRIDE was still here...

4/18/19 5:48 PM
1/1/01

I wish PRIDE was still here and I with they had all the best talent. What would you most want to see in 2019 if PRIDE was running things like back in the day?

I would want to see either a sixteen man FW or LW GP with the following fighters

LW-

1. Khabib 2. Dustin 3 Tony 4 Conor 5 Diaz 6 Gaethje 7 Chandler 8 Lee 9 Iaquinta 10 Cerrone 11 Oliveira 12 Gillespie 13 Barboza 14 Taisumov 15 Makachev 16 Aoki

FW-

1. Max 2 Ortega 3 Aldo 4 Frankie 5 Zabit 6 Korean Zombie 7 Yair 8 Bektic 9 Volkanovski 10 Stephens 11 Kron 12 Pico 13 Pitbull 14 McKee 15 Frodo Khasbulaev 16 Lamas

If the MMA Gods gave me these tournaments and did them PRIDE style over five or six months (Total Elimination, Critical Countdown and Final Elimination) then I would never bitch about anything regarding MMA ever again.

4/18/19 6:00 PM
8/19/03

It would be off the chain.  It seemed like any tournament they had, regardless of what it was, always had a story behind it and was always compelling.   The sheer ability just to outlast the field and Make it to the finals was impressive In and of itself. 

4/18/19 6:13 PM
1/1/01
We'd have a pico'd Jones vs an untested Brock headlining NYE.
4/18/19 6:16 PM
1/1/01
WaltJ -

It would be off the chain.  It seemed like any tournament they had, regardless of what it was, always had a story behind it and was always compelling.   The sheer ability just to outlast the field and Make it to the finals was impressive In and of itself. 

All their tournaments were awesome.

It would just be incredible to see the talent I listed about all competing in PRIDE GP.

UFC takes that talent and they just spread them out, one or two LW fights every weekend, all year. Their matchups can get pretty random so nothing ever has the excitment of a tournament.

Instead they are like... we are in London today, watch these Brits fight Americans and whoever, we are in Brazil today... watch these Brazilians fight on cards they have high win rates on because we put on showcase fights for the talent sometimes. Hey guess what... next weekend we are in Russia and guess what, yep you get to watch Russian and Polish guys fight. Don't worry, wherever the Fight Night is, it all starts to feel the same. Don't worry, we will still do THREE big cards a year so just hold your horses until July 7th.

4/18/19 6:16 PM
1/1/01
Wiggy - We'd have a pico'd Jones vs an untested Brock headlining NYE.

Perfect. I can hear Lenne Hardt doing the intros now.

4/18/19 8:12 PM
6/14/12

In.

I like this thread.

Pride never die!

4/18/19 8:55 PM
2/23/12

Seems like some fans who got into the sport after pride bought into Dana’s bullshit about pride being mostly rigged. I was talking to someone recently who was completely dismissive of pride but couldn’t name a single fight they thought was fixed

Edited: 4/20/19 9:24 PM
10/17/13
I miss Pride.
4/18/19 9:04 PM
11/14/16
Jored1990 -

Seems like some fans who got into the sport after pride bought into Dana’s bullshit about pride being mostly rigged. I was talking to someone recently who was completely dismissive of pride but couldn’t name a single fight they thought was fixed

Those people aren’t worth pissing down their throats even if their guts were on fire. 

Edited: 4/19/19 2:25 AM
6/23/11

Silly as it sounds, I miss those tournaments and those entrances. They were ridiculous of course but these days we have ridiculous trash talk which just gets old to me. When Fedor would come it on a platform with explosions as he walked across I just wouldn’t be able to sit down. Now we have wwe trash talk and “scuffles” but mediocre production. 

4/19/19 2:36 AM
11/16/08

The screaming anouncer lady was the best.  Nobody else has even come close.

4/19/19 5:38 AM
2/23/12
taberkulosis -

Silly as it sounds, I miss those tournaments and those entrances. They were ridiculous of course but these days we have ridiculous trash talk which just gets old to me. When Fedor would come it on a platform with explosions as he walked across I just wouldn’t be able to sit down. Now we have wwe trash talk and “scuffles” but mediocre production. 

I always thought pride had better production, their rule set would be more violent and off putting for a casual with the knees, stomps and kicks to the head of a grounded opponent but the production elevated it above the negative perception to some extent with the song they opened events with and the fighters coming out at the beginning like the olympics

The UFC intro was cool if you were 14 and pretty embarrassing if you were watching it with a ‘is it really a sport?’ type friend. ‘BRING THE PAIN, BRING THE PAIN!!’, alright already 

4/19/19 6:05 AM
6/27/18

^ I'm an old school PRIDE fan, I loved the Grand Prix format and the Bushido events.

But let's be real, PRIDE had plenty of "Is this really a sport?" moments too.

Dos Caras Jr wearing his Lucha Libre mask when he was trying to fight Cro Cop.

Nakamura wearing his gi top when he was fighting Wanderlei, then trying to take it off and getting TKO'd.

Ogawa bringing his Hustle pro wrestling storylines to the ring.

Giant Silva's entire PRIDE career.

Not to mention obviously worked fights like Coleman vs Takada.

4/19/19 6:25 AM
2/23/12
TequilaYuen -

^ I'm an old school PRIDE fan, I loved the Grand Prix format and the Bushido events.

But let's be real, PRIDE had plenty of "Is this really a sport?" moments too.

Dos Caras Jr wearing his Lucha Libre mask when he was trying to fight Cro Cop.

Nakamura wearing his gi top when he was fighting Wanderlei, then trying to take it off and getting TKO'd.

Ogawa bringing his Hustle pro wrestling storylines to the ring.

Giant Silva's entire PRIDE career.

Not to mention obviously worked fights like Coleman vs Takada.

I’m talking about the production like the first impression someone new to the sport would have before a fight starts. Pride definitely did some things that the athletic commissions the ufc deals with wouldn’t allow like minowa fighting people twice his size or Bob sapp beating the shit out of lightweights, they threw some fighters to the wolves. The Japanese in general could be quite quirky, but I didn’t mind it like when aoki would come out to a Japanese kids cartoon song and the whole arena would clap along

I would say I’ve watched the majority of pride fights and I can’t think of many I thought were fixed

4/19/19 6:52 AM
3/17/14
If Pride was still around MMA would be better off then it is right now with just the UFC.

Fighters would have more options in terms of employment aswell.

I was never a fan of the lack drug testing though.
4/19/19 7:01 AM
1/12/05
Imagine this 16 man OWGP

1-DC
2-Jones
3- Stipe
4- N'gannou
5- Lesnar
6- Gus
7- Romero
8- Jacare
9- Rockhold
10- Overeem
11- Bader
12- Vitor
13- Stylebender
14- Whittaker
15- Mousasi
16- Anderson Silva or Minowa
4/19/19 7:34 AM
2/23/12
BRUTELLYDUMBFOOTBALLHACK - If Pride was still around MMA would be better off then it is right now with just the UFC.

The UFC drug testing was a joke then anyway, I don’t even think Phil baroni failed a drug test there

4/19/19 7:53 AM
9/28/06
Im not going to lie......

I used to love when Pride and UFC were competing vs each other!

The fan wars were awesome!

Always debating wich org was the best and what fighter was the true champion!

After every event MMA.TV would be lit and fans would always argue what event was better!

Good times!
4/19/19 10:45 AM
6/14/12
Bobby Lupo - Imagine this 16 man OWGP

1-DC
2-Jones
3- Stipe
4- N'gannou
5- Lesnar
6- Gus
7- Romero
8- Jacare
9- Rockhold
10- Overeem
11- Bader
12- Vitor
13- Stylebender
14- Whittaker
15- Mousasi

Minowa by dark horse somersault attack.

4/19/19 11:04 AM
1/1/01
I No Kung Foo - 

Lenne Hardt - she's amazing. Does all kinds of voice-over work, too.

I'm not sure if she still does, but there was a time where you could go to her site & get her to make you a custom ringtone for your phone.

How all kinds of awesome would THAT be?
4/19/19 11:07 AM
5/15/07
Bobby Lupo - Imagine this 16 man OWGP

1-DC
2-Jones
3- Stipe
4- N'gannou
5- Lesnar
6- Gus
7- Romero
8- Jacare
9- Rockhold
10- Overeem
11- Bader
12- Vitor
13- Stylebender
14- Whittaker
15- Mousasi

OWGP above all.

Needs Fedor, Crocop, Hunt, and Nog for nostalgia sake.
4/19/19 11:20 AM
1/12/05
Burt Reynoldz - 
Bobby Lupo - Imagine this 16 man OWGP

1-DC
2-Jones
3- Stipe
4- N'gannou
5- Lesnar
6- Gus
7- Romero
8- Jacare
9- Rockhold
10- Overeem
11- Bader
12- Vitor
13- Stylebender
14- Whittaker
15- Mousasi

OWGP above all.

Needs Fedor, Crocop, Hunt, and Nog for nostalgia sake.

Hunt-N'Gannou in the first round would be fucking wild.

Maybe Fedor-Gus? I can't (and hope to never) see old Fedor hanging with any of these dudes, though.
4/19/19 11:22 AM
6/27/18
Wiggy -
I No Kung Foo - 

I'm not sure if she still does, but there was a time where you could go to her site & get her to make you a custom ringtone for your phone.

4/19/19 11:45 AM
5/22/15
TequilaYuen - 
Wiggy -
I No Kung Foo - 

Dude.. that is fucking rad!
4/19/19 1:52 PM
3/17/14
Jored1990 - 
BRUTELLYDUMBFOOTBALLHACK - If Pride was still around MMA would be better off then it is right now with just the UFC.

The UFC drug testing was a joke then anyway, I don’t even think Phil baroni failed a drug test there

Cant argue against that.