UnderGround Forums If PRIDE was still here...

4/19/19 4:24 PM
1/1/01
Upperdog - 
TequilaYuen - 
Wiggy -
I No Kung Foo - 

The screaming anouncer lady was the best.  Nobody else has even come close.

Lenne Hardt - she's amazing. Does all kinds of voice-over work, too.

I'm not sure if she still does, but there was a time where you could go to her site & get her to make you a custom ringtone for your phone.

How all kinds of awesome would THAT be?

Dude.. that is fucking rad!

Welp, looks like THAT is something I need in my life.
4/20/19 10:33 AM
8/20/15
BJ Penn Forever -

I wish PRIDE was still here and I with they had all the best talent. What would you most want to see in 2019 if PRIDE was running things like back in the day?

I would want to see either a sixteen man FW or LW GP with the following fighters

LW-

1. Khabib 2. Dustin 3 Tony 4 Conor 5 Diaz 6 Gaethje 7 Chandler 8 Lee 9 Iaquinta 10 Cerrone 11 Oliveira 12 Gillespie 13 Barboza 14 Taisumov 15 Makachev 16 Aoki

FW-

1. Max 2 Ortega 3 Aldo 4 Frankie 5 Zabit 6 Korean Zombie 7 Yair 8 Bektic 9 Volkanovski 10 Stephens 11 Kron 12 Pico 13 Pitbull 14 McKee 15 Frodo Khasbulaev 16 Lamas

If the MMA Gods gave me these tournaments and did them PRIDE style over five or six months (Total Elimination, Critical Countdown and Final Elimination) then I would never bitch about anything regarding MMA ever again.

Aoki doesn't even need to be nowhere near guys like Khabib lol

4/20/19 2:13 PM
11/11/11

I think if pride was still here it would be more popular than UFC since the scoring system is so much better. That plus soccer kicks and knees to downed opponents. And the glorious yellow cards.

4/20/19 7:58 PM
3/27/03
Jored1990 -

Seems like some fans who got into the sport after pride bought into Dana’s bullshit about pride being mostly rigged. I was talking to someone recently who was completely dismissive of pride but couldn’t name a single fight they thought was fixed

Pride did have fixed fights though

4/20/19 8:09 PM
2/23/12
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -

Seems like some fans who got into the sport after pride bought into Dana’s bullshit about pride being mostly rigged. I was talking to someone recently who was completely dismissive of pride but couldn’t name a single fight they thought was fixed

That’s always been said, but I can’t think of many I thought were worked. I thought one of sakuraba’s opponents was there to lose, he was a french guy with 1 pro fight, he gave up his back and didn’t do anything. Which fights do you think were fixed?

4/21/19 9:47 AM
3/27/03
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -

That’s always been said, but I can’t think of many I thought were worked. I thought one of sakuraba’s opponents was there to lose, he was a french guy with 1 pro fight, he gave up his back and didn’t do anything. Which fights do you think were fixed?

Coleman admitting publicly he threw the fight with Takada would be one example 

4/21/19 9:48 AM
3/27/03
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -

Rampage was offered more than his whole fight purse to allow sak to choke him completely unconscious 

Edited: 4/21/19 10:45 AM
2/23/12
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -

The takada fight looked like if wwe had an MMA fight, Coleman threw pulled punches and got subbed by the slowest heel hooks I’ve seen get slapped on. Rampage said he was offered money he refused and still lost. Between us we came up with three fights in 10 years, Bellator have had more suspect fights in the last 3 years 

4/21/19 10:49 AM
1/1/01
SKINS - Im not going to lie......

I used to love when Pride and UFC were competing vs each other!

The fan wars were awesome!

Always debating wich org was the best and what fighter was the true champion!

After every event MMA.TV would be lit and fans would always argue what event was better!

Good times!

I remember being in the minority saying I liked UFC events better. I still liked Pride but UFC seemed much more exciting watching the fights live. Pride finally got on US television but the show was aired a week late. I ordered every one of them though. A lot of fight nerds would stay up all night to get the play by play but I avoided spoilers. 

4/22/19 8:32 AM
3/27/03
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -

The takada fight looked like if wwe had an MMA fight, Coleman threw pulled punches and got subbed by the slowest heel hooks I’ve seen get slapped on. Rampage said he was offered money he refused and still lost. Between us we came up with three fights in 10 years, Bellator have had more suspect fights in the last 3 years 

I didn’t know I was expected to come up with a comprehensive list... what is your point?

4/22/19 8:36 AM
2/10/09

Rampage/Arona Slam

4/22/19 9:18 AM
1/12/05
jacktripper - 
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -

I didn’t know I was expected to come up with a comprehensive list... what is your point?

Sakuraba-Newton looked like a beautifully worked grappling demo
Anderson Silva losing via that crazy heelhook looked fake

Bellator has more sketchy looking fights.
4/22/19 9:24 AM
3/27/03
Bobby Lupo -
jacktripper - 
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -

Sakuraba-Newton looked like a beautifully worked grappling demo
Anderson Silva losing via that crazy heelhook looked fake

Bellator has more sketchy looking fights.

Yea it’s wrong for bellator if they’re fixing fights also... not sure how this excuses or absolves pride for fixing fights 

4/22/19 1:46 PM
2/23/12
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -

My point is that I don’t think a handful of questionable fights over a decade, that with the exception of takada/Coleman aren’t certifiably fixed anyway justifies the asterisk people place on pride when they want to discredit someone who fought there

4/22/19 8:06 PM
3/27/03
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -
jacktripper -
Jored1990 -

My point is that I don’t think a handful of questionable fights over a decade, that with the exception of takada/Coleman aren’t certifiably fixed anyway justifies the asterisk people place on pride when they want to discredit someone who fought there

If you don’t want people to question if your promotion is legit don’t fix the fights 

You think Takada-Cro Cop was legit also?

4/23/19 7:37 AM
3/18/14

4/24/19 11:02 AM
7/10/02
Production was awesome as it elevated the fighters to "respected warrior" knight-like status, instead of gladiators put in a pit.

In an ideal world, Pride and the UFC would still co-exist, which way more fighters going from one org to the next. The different vibes, rule sets, types of crowds, ring vs octagon, it was all good.

4/24/19 11:07 AM
3/7/05
I miss the GP tourneys. Man they would be amazing now with the deeper modern divisions. 16 man tourneys with the last two rounds in the same night.
4/24/19 2:45 PM
5/31/07

I miss it too.  10x better than what we get with the current UFC.  Watered down shit cards with all prelim level matchups, a chick fight followed by one or two you may care about.  

The freakshow fights were no big deal and quite entertaining at times.  

I miss no drug testing, the ring, tournaments, stacked cards, production value, the rule set, and competition with the UFC.  

Japan, get your shit together!

29 days ago
1/1/01
BigWilliam - I miss the GP tourneys. Man they would be amazing now with the deeper modern divisions. 16 man tourneys with the last two rounds in the same night.

I miss PRIDE GP's more than anything else of the pre-IMG UFC/Coker-Bellator era.

Hell, the 2005 MW GP was so damn good that Randleman, Vitor, Hendo, Rampage, Yoshida, Kondo and Lister did not even advance out of the round of 16.

The 2005 MW GP was one of the finest masterpieces in the history of all martial arts.
28 days ago
10/11/18
Wiggy - 
I No Kung Foo - 

The screaming anouncer lady was the best.  Nobody else has even come close.

Lenne Hardt - she's amazing. Does all kinds of voice-over work, too.

I'm not sure if she still does, but there was a time where you could go to her site & get her to make you a custom ringtone for your phone.

How all kinds of awesome would THAT be?

She voiced Anna William in a couple of the Tekken games iirc.
28 days ago
10/11/18
PRIDE was awesome. Its demise left a hole in the MMA landscape that has never been filled.

If PRIDE was still around I could see them pulling a Pancrase and adopting the Unified Ruleset for better cohesion.
28 days ago
1/1/01
Again, the 2005 MW GP was so damn good that Randleman, Vitor, Hendo, Rampage, Yoshida, Kondo and Lister did not even advance out of the round of 16.

World class judoka Yoon also did not make it out of the Total Elimination round of 16 and though the weakest fighter in the field of 16, he would go on to submit Manhoef, Galasic, and also beat Takase and Saffiedine so he was no scrub.

The Critical Countdown card not only featured the quarter finals but also had Kharitonov vs Rizzo, Big Nog vs Nastula, and Crocop vs Magomedov.

Of course the Final Conflict card was real special. Featured Fedor vs Crocop for the title, an all time great fight, Werdum vs Zentsov and Yoshida vs Tank were also on the card the featured the semis and finals with Shogun, Arona, Wanderlei and Overeem. Vovchancyn vs Nakamura was the alt fight. Probably the best short card (8 or less fights card) in the history of the sport.
28 days ago
1/1/01
Just 27 days after the MW Final Conflict, fans got to watch Bushido 9, another all time great card with the semis and quarters of the LW and WW tournaments.

Shockwave 2005 was something real special too, hell Fedor fought the can Zuluzinho and Thompson fought the can Giant Silva and there were still enough great fights on the card to qualify it as one of the greatest cards in the history of the sport.

For sure 2005 one of the best years for PRIDE. Each of the 10 cards that year were memorable and quality, some were legendary.