UnderGround Forums Ilir Latifi rips UFC 247 judges

8 days ago
1/1/01

The judging at UFC 247 in Houston, Texas came under intense criticism. Most egregious was judge Joe Soliz scoring Round 1 of James Krause vs. Trevin Giles for Giles, who won via Split Decision. Soliz also was criticized for giving Andre Ewell all three rounds vs. Jonathan Martinez. And Soliz scored the main event 4-1 for Jones, leading to a deeply frustrated Joe Rogan calling his judgment in that fight "insane."

And there's more. Fan favorite and hometown hero Derrick Lewis earned a unanimous 29-28 vs. Ilir Latifi in the main card opener; Latifi, who came up to heavyweight for the first time, was not impressed.

"I'm coming from Sweden," said Latifi to Damon Martin for MMA Fighting. "I'm fighting the hometown pride, Derrick Lewis, who is one of the most favorite fighters in the UFC. I like him, too. He's funny as hell. He's humble. Nothing to take from that but I knew that I wasn't fighting just Derrick. I was fighting the judges. I was fighting everybody in that arena that night. When I came there, I knew what it was. When the fight was over, you saw Derrick's face. He knew that he lost that fight."

"I controlled my opponent for 15 minutes. I practically put him in the situation I wanted. I put him against the cage. I was grinding him and making him tired, taking out those power shots. I took him down."

"We sacrifice so much. We sacrifice our health. We leave our families. We do so much and to leave that in the hands of the judges or a commission that doesn't understand the sport or favors somebody, that's wrong."

"When fighters do wrong or they break the rules, they get punished for that. But when judges do wrong or rob people from their fights, there's no consequences for that. It's bad."

"They f*** with people's paychecks. That's 50 percent of what you get paid. It's not a game. It's so bad. ... Right now, all this situation leaves a big question mark in this sport. ... We need to see real judges in this sport that have experience in the sport. That comes from guys who have fought, who have trained, who have experience of it."

8 days ago
9/23/07

LOL at pushing someone against the cage and expecting a win.

Edited: 8 days ago
3/20/12

If Lewis "won", then Reyes "won"

in reality nobody won the fights

they just went to a "scorecard" and a "decision victory" was handed out

How about Latifi's chin ehhh?
Rock solid

8 days ago
5/15/07
Brockback Mountain - 

Don't forget hee was grinding him and making him tired too.
8 days ago
1/1/12
Burt Reynoldz -
Brockback Mountain - 

Don't forget hee was grinding him and making him tired too.

+ about 3 throws and ground control for most of the fight

8 days ago
2/13/11

Im Swedish too and I like you and Ive met you but you lost that fight dude.

8 days ago
12/22/19

Meh he didn't do anything. At least try to improve position on the ground or strike lmao, he did nothing but a little wrestling so boring  

8 days ago
2/25/15

Lewis clearly won first round. Latifi won the second round clearly.
So i guess the controversy is around the third round.

I'd need to rewatch it, but Lewis landed all the strikes and i don't think the one 0 damage take down latifi landed justify giving him the round.

8 days ago
1/1/12

Why even train grappling if getting up doesn't matter. Point I'm trying to make is latifi controlled the last 2 rounds boring or not. 

8 days ago
1/1/01

He did nothing but stall and not fight. LNP shouldn't be a method for victory.

8 days ago
3/11/11

We all saw Litifi trying to win with that weak ass game plan. He wasn't fighting. He was trying to prevent a fight by pushing Lewis against the cage. Every time Lewis was able to create distance,  he tried to strike but then Litifi went back to making the fight boring as hell again. 

I think the MMA world as a collective was hoping that Lewis got the win just because he was the only person in that cage actually trying to fight. That fight was a massive letdown and it was 100% because of Litifi.  

8 days ago
12/24/18

He negated Lewis best weapons for most of the fight ,it's hard to have a pretty fight against Lewis, watching it live I had latifi

8 days ago
12/17/19

Judges = Control

USADA = Control

Govern = Control

Athletic Commissions = Government

Government + MMA = controlled fights

Let's keep MMA under control & allow more Government intervention. 

8 days ago
4/8/07

i didn't see him winning that fight. neither guy won that fight. lewis had his moments, he had his moments, and all of those moments were pretty lackluster. they both lost and so did all the fans watching. that fight sucked, mostly because of him and his stall tactics, so i'm glad lewis got the W.

8 days ago
2/28/14

You cant win by stalling, unless you're so successful at it that the opponent has no good moments in a round. 4 minutes of wrestlestalling is negated by 1 minute of Lewis coming at him like a psychopath attempting to murder him. He had that fight won until he let Derrick go off to end the 3rd. 

8 days ago
2/24/11

Ilir controlled most of the fight but did no damage and no subs attempt. 

When Lewis had control of the fight he hurt Latifi bad, real bad.

I'm OK with the decision. 

8 days ago
6/16/07

He lost. 

8 days ago
1/12/12
floofy - Lewis clearly won first round. Latifi won the second round clearly.

I'd need to rewatch it, but Lewis landed all the strikes and i don't think the one 0 damage take down latifi landed justify giving him the round.

This. But, I really didn't see any controversy.

Lewis did far more in the last minute and half of round 3 than latifi did the entire fight.

Latifi took zero risk and did nothing outside of laying on Lewis when the fight was on the ground.  I thought he blew every opportunity to win a winable fight.

I personally had it 2-1, Lewis.

8 days ago
6/27/02

He definitely COULD have won the fight but he chose not to. 29-28 Lewis. 

8 days ago
12/26/19

He didn't fight, he tried smelling Derricks sweaty balls all fight. How can he expect a win on that performance? 

8 days ago
1/4/20
Kirik -

The judging at UFC 247 in Houston, Texas came under intense criticism. Most egregious was judge Joe Soliz scoring Round 1 of James Krause vs. Trevin Giles for Giles, who won via Split Decision. Soliz also was criticized for giving Andre Ewell all three rounds vs. Jonathan Martinez. And Soliz scored the main event 4-1 for Jones, leading to a deeply frustrated Joe Rogan calling his judgment in that fight "insane."

And there's more. Fan favorite and hometown hero Derrick Lewis earned a unanimous 29-28 vs. Ilir Latifi in the main card opener; Latifi, who came up to heavyweight for the first time, was not impressed.

"I'm coming from Sweden," said Latifi to Damon Martin for MMA Fighting. "I'm fighting the hometown pride, Derrick Lewis, who is one of the most favorite fighters in the UFC. I like him, too. He's funny as hell. He's humble. Nothing to take from that but I knew that I wasn't fighting just Derrick. I was fighting the judges. I was fighting everybody in that arena that night. When I came there, I knew what it was. When the fight was over, you saw Derrick's face. He knew that he lost that fight."

"I controlled my opponent for 15 minutes. I practically put him in the situation I wanted. I put him against the cage. I was grinding him and making him tired, taking out those power shots. I took him down."

"We sacrifice so much. We sacrifice our health. We leave our families. We do so much and to leave that in the hands of the judges or a commission that doesn't understand the sport or favors somebody, that's wrong."

"When fighters do wrong or they break the rules, they get punished for that. But when judges do wrong or rob people from their fights, there's no consequences for that. It's bad."

"They f*** with people's paychecks. That's 50 percent of what you get paid. It's not a game. It's so bad. ... Right now, all this situation leaves a big question mark in this sport. ... We need to see real judges in this sport that have experience in the sport. That comes from guys who have fought, who have trained, who have experience of it."

Agree with Latifi. I had him winning 29-28 based on cage control and takedowns/ground control. We tend to punish the one who grinds it out in close, boring fights. Doesn't mean he didn't win.

8 days ago
6/23/10

It was a sloppy fight.  Granted Latifi didn't do shit, he fought very Jon Fitch'esque.  But what exactly did Lewis do that let him win do convincingly?  That first knee hit Latifi in the chest.  The other didnt land at all.  Lewis would land a decent combo and immediately tie up... I'd have been good with a draw.

8 days ago
8/18/12
boxy -

He did nothing but stall and not fight. LNP shouldn't be a method for victory.

I'm pretty sure it was significantly more dominant than Derrick Lewis was off his back

8 days ago
4/27/16

They both deserved to lose. 

8 days ago
2/10/20
floofy -

Lewis clearly won first round. Latifi won the second round clearly.

Exactly this.