UnderGround Forums Iole: Rumor that NV Gov may shut down events

11/23/20 9:54 PM
1/1/01

The UFC has led the sports world is holding live events during the COVID-19 global pandemic. The last show held was UFC on ESPN+ 28 on March 14 in Brasilia, Brazil, and then the league canceled five events. After just under two months later, three consecutive events were held in Florida, starting with UFC 249 on May 9. Then five shows were held at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada, and five more at Flash Forum on Fight Island, Abu Dhabi, UAE. Next, eight more shows were held in Vegas and five more on Fight Island. The UFC has since held four shows in Vegas, with four more planned, through December 19.

At the UFC 255 post-fight press conference, noted Vegas-based combat sports journalist Kevin Iole asked UFC president Dana White about rumors that coming restrictions by Gov. Steve Sisolak (D) to slow the spread of COVID-19 might include shutting down boxing and MMA events, even with an empty audience.

“There’s been a rumor going around that Governor Sisolak might end what you’re doing, what Top Rank is doing,” said Iole. “Is there a chance that the Governor won’t let you continue to do this now that the Coronavirus is getting worse. There was a rumor around that potentially he was going to put an order out saying that he wasn’t going to allow Top Rank or you to keep doing these shows.”

A focused White expressed firm doubt that anything of the sort would happen.

“I never heard anything remotely close to that,” replied White. “Look at what we’ve done. That would be madness. I haven’t heard anything even remotely close to that.”

While the obvious solution to Nevada shuttering all sports events would do to move shows to Abu Dhabi, there are rumors that the same steps are being considered there, too. So now, as it has for most of this miserable year, uncertainty reigns.

h/t Ryan Harkness for MMA Mania

11/23/20 10:27 PM
1/1/01

I was gonna say fight island before I got to the part about them considering the same shit over there. Jesus H

11/23/20 10:43 PM
3/17/14

I literally turned down a job that was working Saturday nights because the fights are the only damn thing keeping me insane. Hopefully the dont do this. I can understand tho, lots of fighters get rushed to the hospitals after events. thats something most people dont bring up. The hospitals are getting to be an issue again.

11/23/20 10:45 PM
8/5/17

As far as Covid is concerned, UFC events seem to be running better than I expected. Shit, I thought they’d kick off and some big thing might happen. That they’d get shut down after an outbreak. They were the first sport back.

Nah, it has effected events, but other sports comebacks have been worse. Shows you what I know. Fuck the hype. UFC seems to have handled it well. Shutting them down seems ridiculous at this point.

11/23/20 11:04 PM
7/27/04
knappster -

I literally turned down a job that was working Saturday nights because the fights are the only damn thing keeping me insane. Hopefully the dont do this. I can understand tho, lots of fighters get rushed to the hospitals after events. thats something most people dont bring up. The hospitals are getting to be an issue again.

I suggest you take the job if the fights are keeping you insane.

I don't even know why you'd like to be insane.

11/24/20 12:32 AM
9/8/02
Biden will do a federal mandated shut down. Some red states will push back, Nevada isn't one of them. You get what you vote for
11/24/20 12:33 AM
1/26/08

If they shut down UFC that means LV Raiders also would be shut down and that is very unlikely to happen. 

11/24/20 12:33 AM
1/26/08
jcblass - Biden will do a federal mandated shut down. Some red states will push back, Nevada isn't one of them. You get what you vote for

Want to bet? 

11/24/20 12:59 AM
11/10/18

What an absolute joke if true. I’m amazed at how many people are still willing to ruin their lives and and every small business in the country over this virus. I guess we’ll get what we deserve in the end. We’re staring down the barrel of extreme poverty and losing our place in the world and our weak and stupid are driving the bus. 

11/24/20 1:22 AM
11/30/07

Sisolak can eat a dick. 

11/24/20 1:23 AM
3/6/07
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -

If they shut down UFC that means LV Raiders also would be shut down and that is very unlikely to happen. 

Good point. If millions are coming in they will not shut down. Money still talks. 

11/24/20 1:29 AM
1/26/08
jkd4200 -

Good point. If millions are coming in they will not shut down. Money still talks. 

NV is almost broke so they need every $$ they can get. Covid has crushed the tourism sector and that’s what finances our government as we don’t pay state income tax in NV. 

11/24/20 1:31 AM
11/30/07
jkd4200 -

They have hardly had any tourists. Insane here. 

11/24/20 4:24 AM
3/17/14
EKPOGI -
knappster -

I suggest you take the job if the fights are keeping you insane.

I don't even know why you'd like to be insane.

hahaha oops

11/24/20 4:29 AM
11/12/07
have to shutdown everything. might get a cold. the government cares about you.
11/24/20 7:58 AM
11/10/18
jkd4200 -

NV is almost broke so they need every $$ they can get. Covid has crushed the tourism sector and that’s what finances our government as we don’t pay state income tax in NV. 

Biden will bail out every state that goes broke from covid shutdowns with federal money. 

11/24/20 10:12 AM
12/31/10

Yall better get ready for democrats back in the White House, because the difference in focus will be noticeable.

11/24/20 10:12 AM
1/1/01

There's always Florida, Bugs. 

11/24/20 10:17 AM
8/14/12

Me Olympia body building show just got moved to Orlando from Vegas 

11/24/20 1:17 PM
11/30/07
jkd4200 -

Thats why he wants to create the state incometax here. Fuck him. Fuck all these idiots that move here from cali and continue to vote in pieces of shit like him. 

11/24/20 2:20 PM
1/26/08
Ryann Von Doom -
jkd4200 -

Thats why he wants to create the state incometax here. Fuck him. Fuck all these idiots that move here from cali and continue to vote in pieces of shit like him. 

Who wants state income tax here and back it up with a link?

11/24/20 3:17 PM
2/5/15

Be nice if they had an alternate place where they could hold the fights. Like an alternate facility that the US Gestapo has no say over. Something like an island or sometbing could maybe work.. 

11/24/20 3:31 PM
11/30/07
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
Ryann Von Doom -
jkd4200 -

Sisolak.. but I can't find the article I read back in the summer. Crazy. Whatever. We're fucked here if tourism stops completely. 

11/24/20 4:00 PM
12/28/14
Ryann Von Doom -
Ryann Von Doom -
jkd4200 -

Sisolak.. but I can't find the article I read back in the summer. Crazy. Whatever. We're fucked here if tourism stops completely. 

I’m not blaming you but why did Clark county vote for a president who promised to shut them down. Biden openly stated that he was going to shut the country down and people whose livehood depends on tourism voted for him. It’s absurd.

11/24/20 4:13 PM
1/26/08
Ryann Von Doom -
Ryann Von Doom -
jkd4200 -

I think you may have read some fake news becuase I haven't seen anythiing and I follow that stuff very close and couldnt find anythiing online besides some right wingers saying Democarts are in control and will now implement a state income tax. All BS unless I see anything that says otherwise.