UnderGround Forums Is JoeRo's fight career imaginary?

24 days ago
1/23/06
I always thought fighting was a terminology reserved for actual fighters.

Does training BJJ and doing Karate count as fighting now? Asking for a friend of a friend.

Overall I like Joe, but he's obviously dealing with some regrets about never actually getting in there. Maybe a fight for the forgotten. Charity bout? I don't want to be the opponent, because that wouldn't be a fair fight, but they could find another able bodied celebrity..Maybe Mario Lopez?
24 days ago
5/15/07
The nice thing is that he can just tell stories about how tough he was to his grandkids and about how he beat up bums in ice cream shops.
Edited: 24 days ago
1/23/06

24 days ago
7/10/15

he fought John on Fear Factor....won via thai clinch w/special guest referee the Miz

https://youtu.be/ZsxMQ9A9Ruo

24 days ago
7/14/16

I get it. People want to shit on traditional martial arts, karate, TKD, etc... I aslo get when people call out BJJ people for calling their matches "fights."

My question to that is... where is the line drawn? I know guys that wrestled in high school and then had a fight just to try it with not much actual training. They could come here, get a green name and call themselves "cage fighters" for the rest of their lives without ever training again, yet someone who trained their entire life in different martial arts, had competed MANY times under various rule sets and has trained MMA for most of their adult life can't call themself a fighter because they never had an MMA match?

Kind of fucked, really.

24 days ago
2/6/15

Didn't he do kickboxing as well or just TMA competition ?  Obviously he has never competed in MMA

24 days ago
7/11/12

Full contact TKD and 2 kickboxing fights. I've never seen proof of the kickboxing bouts.

24 days ago
6/23/12
Lurker99 -

I get it. People want to shit on traditional martial arts, karate, TKD, etc... I aslo get when people call out BJJ people for calling their matches "fights."

My question to that is... where is the line drawn? I know guys that wrestled in high school and then had a fight just to try it with not much actual training. They could come here, get a green name and call themselves "cage fighters" for the rest of their lives without ever training again, yet someone who trained their entire life in different martial arts, had competed MANY times under various rule sets and has trained MMA for most of their adult life can't call themself a fighter because they never had an MMA match?

Kind of fucked, really.

i mean, i drive a car every day. sometimes i drive really fast. but im not a racecar driver unless i drive a racecar. if you go to baseball practice every day and dont play baseball, youre not a baseball player. a wrestler who shows up for a fight is a fighter. a martial artist who never fights is a martial artist and not a fighter.

9/20/19

Referring to High School age-group TKD as a “fight career” is a fucking joke and everyone knows it. That’s why he only references it that way when it’s people completely outside of the mma bubble. 

If you can participate popular sports yet choose to stay in a sport with talent pool of 10 peers in the country your age and skill, that says something. 

Joe was also a hardcore straight edge dork until bravo got him to smoke weed in his 30’s and now he’s some psychedelic guru lol. He talks about drugs like a high school sophomore who just got into weed and “discovered” Pink Floyd. 

24 days ago
7/4/03
he's got a lot to be proud of as an amateur taekwondo practitioner... he had 3 amateur kickboxing fights in one night, winning the first two and losing the third (he just mentioned this on some pod)... if 3 amateur bouts and studying taekwondo (or another martial art) make for a "fighting career" than probably 70% of the people on this site are former "fighters"...

I think CRE nailed it though that Joe's is extremely insecure about not having given it a go... it must drive him crazy to the point that he frequently misrepresents his training and competing as an amateur as more than what it was...
4/18/07

If someone on the street broke your arm and choked you unconscious would it be considered a fight?

this is a petty stupid argument that mma guys like to perpetuate because they think they are the only “fighters”

24 days ago
5/5/12
Target_the_Gash -

I don't think he misrepresents what he used to do, he seems to be pretty honest about it. 

Says he thought he was good from doing a lot of training and TKD stuff but then went to a BJJ class and got his ass handed to him so started trainng BJJ, which he stuck with for a long time until he was awarded a black belt, tried a couple kickboxing matches and caught a beatdown and had second thoughts about where his skills really were.

He has sat cage side at all of the biggest UFC fights of the last 20+ years and also knows a ton of MMA guys and I'm sure has been in a ton of top MMA gyms over the years. He has absolutely no misconceptions about what he is watching, unlike 99% of the public that watches MMA on their TVs. 

He's now one of the richest and most well-known TV celebrities in America, I think he might have a few regrets abuot not having a couple more fights when he was younger but I think he made the smarter choices. Back when he was doing martial arts competition the MMA landscape was extremely new and underdeveloped, people were beating the living fuck out of each other for peanuts in Vale Tudo matches with no gloves and no rules, giant hulking men that were juicing to the eyeballs. It was a lot of risk for very little reward in those days, even the top guys from that era are pretty much broke and broken at this point. If he had pursued MMA instead of TV and comedy he'd probably be a washed up former fighter at this point with a broken brain and body.

Now he's filthy rich and he can still kick OPs ass without even breaking asweat.

“I don’t think he misrepresents what he used to do, he seems to be pretty honest about it.”

lol. Ok.

24 days ago
7/20/01
no hey hey hey
NO HEY HEY HEY
24 days ago
7/20/01

but to fair, any chick should have a pass to punch johny fairplay - "Tool" in urbandictory.com will refer to him before the band..

24 days ago
9/4/19

Rogan is one of the greatest manipulators carny circus type frauds i've ever seen. Pretends to have a fight career when he does BJJ (Thats not fighting) and doing TKD as a kid. He memes millions of people into thinking his comedy is anything but terrible, and on top of that elevates his even UNFUNNIER friends to the top, including the charity case brendan schaub.

24 days ago
8/18/13

It’s good to know you really Rogan beating your arse wouldn’t be a fair fight Cre. You’re a humble man at heart 

24 days ago
5/1/14

I lost in the first match of the BJJ competition at the gym I used to go to. Am I a pro?

24 days ago
5/29/18

About as imaginary as you thinking you're a professional athlete for playing smash brothers or whatever it is lol

24 days ago
10/3/16

He did beat up that internet troll in BJJ.

3/20/12
Rimbaud - 
Target_the_Gash -

I don't think he misrepresents what he used to do, he seems to be pretty honest about it. 

Says he thought he was good from doing a lot of training and TKD stuff but then went to a BJJ class and got his ass handed to him so started trainng BJJ, which he stuck with for a long time until he was awarded a black belt, tried a couple kickboxing matches and caught a beatdown and had second thoughts about where his skills really were.

He has sat cage side at all of the biggest UFC fights of the last 20+ years and also knows a ton of MMA guys and I'm sure has been in a ton of top MMA gyms over the years. He has absolutely no misconceptions about what he is watching, unlike 99% of the public that watches MMA on their TVs. 

He's now one of the richest and most well-known TV celebrities in America, I think he might have a few regrets abuot not having a couple more fights when he was younger but I think he made the smarter choices. Back when he was doing martial arts competition the MMA landscape was extremely new and underdeveloped, people were beating the living fuck out of each other for peanuts in Vale Tudo matches with no gloves and no rules, giant hulking men that were juicing to the eyeballs. It was a lot of risk for very little reward in those days, even the top guys from that era are pretty much broke and broken at this point. If he had pursued MMA instead of TV and comedy he'd probably be a washed up former fighter at this point with a broken brain and body.

Now he's filthy rich and he can still kick OPs ass without even breaking asweat.

“I don’t think he misrepresents what he used to do, he seems to be pretty honest about it.”

lol. Ok.

Can't find target gash's original post

looks like he is banned

I don't think Joe is much of a fighter...30 years ago he fought with some headgear and pads on but that was 30 years ago...now he trains martial arts but doesn't spar, I doubt anybody would go all out with him even rolling BJJ

He doesn't even correct the uneducated that come on his show and refer to him as a "fighter"...he enjoys the ego boost...some think he fought MMA.

He is a Martial Arts Fan playing the part of a tough guy IMO...I think Joe wouldn't take a shot and keep fighting nowadays

I ain't hating, the guy has some cool jobs and is living the life.

A fighter he isn't.

Just ask Quadros

24 days ago
2/8/12

Joe Rogans early years went dark. 

24 days ago
8/8/18

Has he said he had a "fight career"? 

24 days ago
1/1/01

I think that if you ever got paid to fight pro, you are a pro fighter. If you did not, then you aren’t. I did a few fights yea ta ago, and never really had any intention of it being a lifelong career. I wrestled through college, won/places in some big BJJ stuff and wanted to see how I’d do. But I fought. I got in a ring and I got in a cage,and I fought. 

Joe Rogan probably had a lot of talent as he is clearly very athletic. he was likely very good and competed at a high level. If he never fought pro, he isn’t a pro. 

it seems pretty clear cut to me.

1/23/06
Dreville79 - 

It's good to know you really Rogan beating your arse wouldn't be a fair fight Cre. You're a humble man at heart 

He has an alright chance. I wouldn't want to fight someone that much older.

24 days ago
5/22/18

Rogan would fuck up 90% of the UG