UnderGround Forums Jiu-jitsu is the most effective martial art

4 days ago
6/9/16

So says former Navy SEAL and MMA trainer Jocko Willink, who earned his BJJ black belt from Dean Lister.

“If someone attacks me and they want to punch or kick me, I can just run away. They’re not holding onto me. I can get away from them. It’s when someone grabs you that you need some technique to get out of there, or someone takes you to the ground, that’s when you need some technique to get out of there. If someone just wants to punch me, well, I’ll walk away from them or run away from them. That’s OK.

“Obviously, I’m a fan of jiu-jitsu. Number one, It’s very practical, like I said, for self-defense. And again, the goal of jiu-jitsu in self-defense isn’t to take someone down to the ground. The goal in jiu-jitsu for self-defense is actually to be able to defend yourself on the ground, get up, and get away from an attacker. That’s what the goal is.

“Now, some people might think: ‘Well, Jocko, I don’t want to run away if somebody wants to fight me. I want to fight them.’ Well, let’s think about where that might end up for you. Number one, you don’t know if this person has a weapon or not. What if they have a knife? What if they have a pistol? What if they’ve got three or four friends? And now you’re getting either shot, stabbed, mutilated, or otherwise maimed and killed. That’s not what you’re looking for on a Friday night as you’re walking down the street.”

https://middleeasy.com/brazilian-jiu-jitsu/jocko-willink-self-defense/

4 days ago
6/9/16

4 days ago
2/9/09

In general on a one on one situation some kind of grappling is better than striking IMO.

With everything unknown, striking is probably a little better. 

Learn both if you can, but like Jocko said, best bet is just walking away. 

4 days ago
10/3/16

Nah, it's wrestling.

4 days ago
10/3/16

Jocko is just biased because he trained under Dean Lister.

4 days ago
1/1/01

If you've ever watched hooligans street fighting then you know the ultimate art is being able to throw chairs properly.

Edited: 3 days ago
2/9/09
MarcusAurelioFan -

Nah, it's wrestling.

Why wrestling over BJJ or Muay Thai? I feel like they're all great

3 days ago
9/20/19

Honestly, it’s kind of weird how he deifies jiu jitsu. I think it’s more a branding thing. 

3 days ago
2/9/09
HillboFrateTrane -

Honestly, it’s kind of weird how he deifies jiu jitsu. I think it’s more a branding thing. 

Weird in what way?

2 days ago
4/24/02

How are boxers ever knocked out if you can just run away?

2 days ago
1/1/01

L8er 

2 days ago
1/1/01
Bend The Knee - 
HillboFrateTrane -

Weird in what way?

To be fair, he owns a company that makes gis, so...

2 days ago
1/1/01
"“Now, some people might think: ‘Well, Jocko, I don’t want to run away if somebody wants to fight me. I want to fight them.’ Well, let’s think about where that might end up for you. Number one, you don’t know if this person has a weapon or not. What if they have a knife? What if they have a pistol? What if they’ve got three or four friends? And now you’re getting either shot, stabbed, mutilated, or otherwise maimed and killed. That’s not what you’re looking for on a Friday night as you’re walking down the street.”"

To be fair, the man is a bad-ass and has been there and done that. He has no problems controlling his ego. The average guy on the street, may not have that ability.
2 days ago
1/1/01
Bend The Knee - 
MarcusAurelioFan -

Nah, it's wrestling.

I think it has more to do with the fighter's mentality than what particular art they pick. If you're training specifically for self-defense, you need to be a "30-second fighter" i.e. train yourself to go 100% for 30 seconds and finish the fight or get out. None of this feeling out stuff, getting my rhythm, waiting for my opponent to make a mistake, etc..., IMO.

2 days ago
7/2/09
Bend The Knee -
MarcusAurelioFan -

Nah, it's wrestling.

It's like arguing which is better, protons, neutrons or electrons.  They're all great building blocks for a healthy life... self defense is a small part of that.

2 days ago
7/11/12

You can't always run away especially if it's defending your property or family

2 days ago
4/20/08
NinjaNate -

How are boxers ever knocked out if you can just run away?

Kalib Starnes is going to be a boxer?

2 days ago
7/30/03

Man he stated that very well. 

2 days ago
1/9/11

Jocko is amazing, his podcast is inspiring. The dude is the real fucking deal

Former Navy Seal, promoted all the way to Lieutenant Commander.

MANimal!

And he is 100% correct.

2 days ago
2/9/09
Wiggy -
Bend The Knee - 
HillboFrateTrane -

Weird in what way?

He owns Origin? What happened to Pete?

2 days ago
2/9/09
Liyon -
Bend The Knee - 
MarcusAurelioFan -

Nah, it's wrestling.

I think it has more to do with the fighter's mentality than what particular art they pick. If you're training specifically for self-defense, you need to be a "30-second fighter" i.e. train yourself to go 100% for 30 seconds and finish the fight or get out. None of this feeling out stuff, getting my rhythm, waiting for my opponent to make a mistake, etc..., IMO.

I kinda like this, but Im not gonna go all out wrestling/bjj wise for 30 seconds and get out. Also how many times have you seen street fights where after 30seconds one dude is totally gassed

2 days ago
2/6/11
MarcusAurelioFan -

Nah, it's wrestling.

We have seen pure wrestling great take on guys in a bjj gym eventually they get submitted without bjj knowledge.  When wrestlers  get on there backs they spas out more than any other art forms . They are great at getting it to the ground or keeping it from getting there but if they end up on bottom they definitely flop like a fish 

2 days ago
6/30/14
Bend The Knee -
Wiggy -
Bend The Knee - 
HillboFrateTrane -

Weird in what way?

He owns Origin? What happened to Pete?

From my understanding Pete is still an owner. Jocko just came in and became a partner/co-owner. No idea the % split 

Edited: 2 days ago
7/15/04

One on one no cross training BJJ is the best that has been proven.  

In a real street fight with variables like possible bystanders kicking you judo plus boxing is a great combo. Quick throws and trips to put people down from the upright clinch without having to go to the ground yourself in many cases.

And the only evidence I've ever seen of an art that was effective on multiple attackers is boxing and guys using punches.

2 days ago
7/15/04

Wrestling is great but limited and usually means you have to go to the ground and will also be susceptible to guys who know BJJ and being submitted. And the wrestler would be able to hold the person down but doesn't really have the progressive positioning of BJJ to really end the fight like moving to mount or taking the back and choking someone out. Outside of possible GnP.

However, overall wrestling is the best base for MMA that has been proven without question.