UnderGround Forums Joaquin Buckley still working at Walgreens

Edited: 11/24/20 12:32 PM
1/1/01

UFC middleweight Joaquin Buckley, 26, is smart. After winning back to back $50,000performance bonuses, just 40 days apart, most fighters would buy a nice car and quit their day job. However, "New Mansa" is working on an apparel line called Solid Foundation, but until it is off the ground, he is sticking to his day job at Walgreens.

"The thing is ... besides UFC -- and they're giving me these big checks -- I still don't have a business of my own. So, I need to just keep working," said Buckley to TMZ Sports. "So I need to keep that working mentality and work ethic. So, I'm gonna just keep holding down a job.

"Now if I'm able to make a business for myself, which I think there is a perfect opportunity to start right now. We are starting up an apparel line, Solid Foundation. People can follow that on Instagram - /solidfoundation_shop - get that bump. But until my business is off the ground, we are still going to be working at Walgreens."

Buckley has had a busy 2020. In July he TKO'd Jackie Gosh at LFA 87. His big show debut ended with TKO loss late in Round 3 to Kevin Holland, but he bounced back big, with back to back performance bonuses beating Impa Kasanganay and Jordan Wright. The Kasanganay win was a KO of the Year contender. And he wants to fight again in January, and has an opponent picked out - James Krause.

"He's just out here spreading lies and spreading rumors," said Buckley. "it's getting frustrating and for him to think he can just keep talking his stuff without any type of punishment or any type of consequences, it's ridiculous! I'm gonna see him regardless if the UFC gives me the fight or not."

11/24/20 12:38 PM
6/9/16

DO NOT shoplift in front of him or you'll regret it.

11/24/20 12:44 PM
12/18/19

"We are still going to be working at Walgreens."

Is he referring to himself at we?  

11/24/20 1:03 PM
10/30/03
ChapScrap93 -

"We are still going to be working at Walgreens."

Is he referring to himself at we?  

Him and his giant cock and balls bro.

11/24/20 1:07 PM
12/24/10

Made me a fan for life with this. This is the type of role model kids should look up to. 

11/24/20 1:47 PM
2/18/20
phatcat - 

Made me a fan for life with this. This is the type of role model kids should look up to. 

Not sure I would want him as a role model for my kids.  Works at Walgreens, which is great, but I wouldn't want my children to think that is the epitome of success even if he is opening a clothing line.  That is on par with being a rapper.  The mindset is very typical.

He is a good fighter, though.

11/24/20 1:55 PM
1/16/12

Hes a humble gentle beast. His cardio is insane for someone that bulky. 

11/24/20 2:14 PM
12/24/10
On a SideNote -
phatcat - 

Not sure I would want him as a role model for my kids.  Works at Walgreens, which is great, but I wouldn't want my children to think that is the epitome of success even if he is opening a clothing line.  That is on par with being a rapper.  The mindset is very typical.

Role Model n the sense not all bling - great work ethic and sensible 

11/24/20 2:32 PM
1/1/01
On a SideNote - 
phatcat - 

He's a great role model for me.  Pursuing his passion while making sure his finances are secure.  Burning his entrepreneurial flame.  Maybe it's just me; I've always done this kind of thing.  Good for him.

11/24/20 2:46 PM
4/22/07

Dear brothas:

Stop wasting your making with clothing lines that are just Tshirts with your logo on it. 

I really do wish him well and he can do what he wants with his own cash but I have known multiple dudes who started clothing lines. You just end up with a full garage.

11/24/20 4:19 PM
1/1/01
Interesting. For someone involved in a high-level profession, working at Walgreens would typically not really be a good return on investment for your time. Your time is better spent improving your skillset.

Fighting is not really typical though. For him improving his skillset would be training/working out/improving health/body, which burns through a lot of cash. That's his "business" imo, building a successful fight career. I don't know if a clothing line at this point is the best idea. Could just be added financial stress and might lose money in the long run.

He's playing it safe keeping a day job, but the clothing business is risky. If I were him I'd sit on the UFC cash or try to find less riskier investments, live cheap off the Walgreen's checks and train as much as I could. If he becomes great/well-known and starts getting more money from fighting, then maybe try some ventures with the extra cash.

At this point he seems like a very good fighter, but he's mostly power from what I've seen. What happens when the competition level increases? Who knows if he can become more technical and rise to champion caliber. Great workin man attitude though, gotta respect that.
11/24/20 5:08 PM
2/18/20
ShanTheMan - 

Dear brothas:

Stop wasting your making with clothing lines that are just Tshirts with your logo on it. 

I really do wish him well and he can do what he wants with his own cash but I have known multiple dudes who started clothing lines. You just end up with a full garage.

This!!!  It shows a lack of creativity to be honest.  That is why I said it's on par with thinking they will make it being a rapper.

Invest in real estate ( very simple), open a trucking company (very easy and lucrative), open a laundromat (never go broke and residual income), etc....but a clothing line?  

11/24/20 5:31 PM
12/25/05
I liked this guy as a fighter before I read this, but now I respect him as a person.

I hope he gets rich as all hell.
11/24/20 6:14 PM
1/1/01

good for him, smart man

Edited: 11/24/20 11:05 PM
8/13/16
On a SideNote -
phatcat - 

It's not him having a job at Walgreens that makes him a role model it's him continuing to work there when he's a UFC fighter and making some money, whilst saying he wants to start  his own business before he leaves that job.

That's the definition  of a true role model

11/24/20 6:35 PM
8/29/05
This is actually genius. My wife works for United Supermarkets which is owned by Alberston's...she has incredible insurance...I assume Walgreen's is the same way.

So Buckley just made a cool 100+k in the last 6 weeks...imagine he breaks his leg and doesn't have insurance? That 100k doesn't look as impressive anymore...so work the bare minimal to stay full-time (Albertson's is like 35 hrs/week) and keep being the recipient of excellent benefits.

I would recommend this model for every fighter up to a point...at some point the benefits of training full-time and paying for your own insurance out-of-pocket are going to outweigh the benefits of someone else paying for your insurance but it is a great way to start and get insurance while you are climbing the ranks.

Plus you always have a job if the fighting thing doesn't work out...
11/24/20 10:47 PM
1/1/01
ShanTheMan -

Dear brothas:

It's true, cringed a little when he said clothign line. But it's not a bad learning experience as a first biz. Better than a restaurant, haha!

11/25/20 12:52 AM
1/19/12
Obiewon - This is actually genius. My wife works for United Supermarkets which is owned by Alberston's...she has incredible insurance...I assume Walgreen's is the same way.

So Buckley just made a cool 100+k in the last 6 weeks...imagine he breaks his leg and doesn't have insurance? That 100k doesn't look as impressive anymore...so work the bare minimal to stay full-time (Albertson's is like 35 hrs/week) and keep being the recipient of excellent benefits.

I would recommend this model for every fighter up to a point...at some point the benefits of training full-time and paying for your own insurance out-of-pocket are going to outweigh the benefits of someone else paying for your insurance but it is a great way to start and get insurance while you are climbing the ranks.

Plus you always have a job if the fighting thing doesn't work out...

Ufc gives their fighters health insurance for fight related injuries.

11/25/20 2:35 AM
4/1/18
TnPi -
On a SideNote -
phatcat - 

It's not him having a job at Walgreens that makes him a role model it's him continuing to work there when he's a UFC fighter and making some money, whilst saying he wants to start  his own business before he leaves that job.

That's the definition  of a true role model

For sure. He has a plan, set his goals and will probably achieve them. Thats a true role model

11/25/20 4:05 AM
9/11/13

Decent guy to be honest, have met and trained with him IRL.  He’s a little full of himself, but you kinda have to be as a fighter.

I personally think his two wins were low caliber guys, we saw Kevin Holland take him out decently easily.  Buckley has loads of power and cardio, but if he doesn’t change up his attacks a bit more from the outside high quality strikers will pick him apart.  His wrestling isn’t that great either, he got lay and prayed in Bellator pretty easily.

Dont take this as me being a hater because I root for him every time he fights, I just think the hype is a bit high right now for his current skill set.  I would love to see him improve and become top tier.

As far as Walgreens, he’s being very smart not banking on a fighting career because very few make enough to live off of forever.

11/25/20 5:10 PM
8/14/14

I missed the drama what’s with him and James krouse? Both of these guys are from Missouri (KC & St Louis) so maybe they could wait and put this fight on a card in KC or St. Louis when we are allowed to go to events. 

11/25/20 7:30 PM
6/27/05

I have to find out which one he works at...

11/25/20 7:34 PM
1/1/01
Taco Muncher - 

If he's smart (which he seems to be) and not looking to get fired, then he won't do shit!

It's sad that things have gotten to this point, but I digress...
11/25/20 9:50 PM
1/1/01
5541james - 

I missed the drama what’s with him and James krouse? Both of these guys are from Missouri (KC & St Louis) so maybe they could wait and put this fight on a card in KC or St. Louis when we are allowed to go to events. 

They have a beef? I only know Krause from TUF and also from apparently being the only person Megan Anderson ever trains with.

From what I've seen Buckley would have a good chance of KOing him. Krause is decent though, who knows. Would be a good fight.
11/25/20 11:48 PM
3/23/06
Taco Muncher -

I heard he was letting his homies loot