UnderGround Forums Joe Rogan on Wing Chun in MMA

Edited: 1/15/20 11:35 PM
1/1/01

Mixed martial arts remains in a state of evolution, albeit an incredmental one now. The very first kick everyone learns in karate, the front kick, was little used until in a space of three months Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva won with front snap kick in spectacular fashion.* Silva's kick caused Randy Couture's tooth to fall out post fight in front of UFC president Dana White. 

The Oblique Kick, which is now taught in every MMA gym, is the only kick in Wing Chun. It can be traced from that art, to Kenpo, to Bill Packer, to Mike Winkeljohn, to Jon Jones, to all of us.

During a recent episode of The JRE, Rogan discussed Wing Chun in MMA with Robert Downey Jr.

"You very rarely see [Wing Chun] in the UFC," said Rogan. "But one of the very best fighters in the UFC uses it regularly - Tony Ferguson. Tony Ferguson uses trapping hands. He grabs wrists and comes over the top with elbows.  He does straight Wing Chun. He does it all the time. And he even practices on a wooden dummy."

*This because of the tutelage for months and months and months by musician, philanthropist, environmentalist, animal rights activist, producer, writer, reserve deputy sheriff, 7th-dan in Aikido, Father of the Front Kick, father to sons Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida, and somewhat boyishly handsome action film star, Steven 'Fritão' Seagal.

1/16/20 12:11 AM
1/11/06

In

1/16/20 1:50 AM
3/12/02

So Silva kicked Vitor Gracie so hard that "Silva's kick caused Randy Couture's tooth to fall out post fight in front of UFC president Dana White"?

Edited: 1/16/20 2:17 AM
1/1/01

Well, in "Wing Chun" (Proper spelling: Wheng Tsun) we train for real life & death situations, not sport.

We only have one mode: DESTROY.

And were not going to do that just for a trophy, fame or some money.

Trust me, when you KNOW you can flip a switch in your head and people will die, it's a HEAVY burden.

1/16/20 2:13 AM
3/6/07

Wow. 

just wow. 

I don't care if tony slaps a wooden dummy or has Ip Man posters in his room....

he is not using wing chun. 

1/16/20 2:13 AM
1/1/01
shen - Well, in Wing Chun we train for real life & death situations, not sport.

Exactly. Someone bump my Sigung Lee thread.
1/16/20 4:12 AM
5/5/12

What a fuckin' clown.

1/16/20 4:43 AM
12/4/08

Lol tony is using muay thai when he comes over the top with elbows. Wing chun is useless.

1/16/20 5:32 AM
5/11/10
shen - Well, in "Wing Chun" (Proper spelling: Wheng Tsun) we train for real life & death situations, not sport.

Trust me, when you KNOW you can flip a switch in your head and people will die, it's a HEAVY burden.

God dammit it would be funny if I hadn't read similar everywhere else Shen. 

1/16/20 6:46 AM
4/20/16
shen - Well, in "Wing Chun" (Proper spelling: Wheng Tsun) we train for real life & death situations, not sport.

I threw up a lil in my mouth when i read this!!! 

Plz tell me you are joking, Mr.Destroyer lol

1/16/20 6:52 AM
11/20/08

I needed this post haha, good morning laugh before work

1/16/20 8:52 AM
11/16/08

Everybody have fun tonight.

Everybody Wing Chun tonight.

1/16/20 9:02 AM
1/1/01
The Leg Collector -

Lol tony is using muay thai when he comes over the top with elbows. Wing chun is useless.

Image result for Wing Chun master pic

1/16/20 9:39 AM
1/1/01

VU, ROFL

1/16/20 11:41 AM
5/30/08

Master Shen....yes please. 

Edited: 1/16/20 12:46 PM
12/28/14

1/16/20 12:50 PM
1/1/01

I've let myself lose streetfights cause I knew if I used my WC that they bodies would be dropping left & right & id have to live with what I had done

1/16/20 1:03 PM
1/1/01

The question is, is a wing chun practitioner better prepared for a street altercation than any of you guys who practice modern sport bjj? When's the last time you threw a punch or dealt with someone throwing a punch? Be honest with yourself.

"To express oneself honestly, not lying to oneself--that, my friend, is very hard to do." - Sigung Lee

1/16/20 1:49 PM
12/4/08
FatBuddha - The question is, is a wing chun practitioner better prepared for a street altercation than any of you guys who practice modern sport bjj? When's the last time you threw a punch or dealt with someone throwing a punch? Be honest with yourself.

"To express oneself honestly, not lying to oneself--that, my friend, is very hard to do." - Sigung Lee

The answer to your question, is no. A pure wing chun guy would get annihilated by a 2 stripe white belt, hence a bjj guy would be much better prepared for a street fight. If you disagree, youve never trained bjj.

1/16/20 2:07 PM
7/11/12

Joe Rogan was too scared to set the actor straight. Wing Chun has no business in MMA.

1/16/20 2:13 PM
1/1/01
The Leg Collector - 
FatBuddha - The question is, is a wing chun practitioner better prepared for a street altercation than any of you guys who practice modern sport bjj? When's the last time you threw a punch or dealt with someone throwing a punch? Be honest with yourself.

The answer to your question, is no. A pure wing chun guy would get annihilated by a 2 stripe white belt, hence a bjj guy would be much better prepared for a street fight. If you disagree, youve never trained bjj.

You ask the wrong question sir. The question is not whether a 2 stripe white belt would beat a wing chun man, the question is how each would do against the hypothetical street attacker.

FYI I have trained bjj a little.
1/16/20 2:37 PM
11/8/08

Why are you are assuming people train sport bjj for street altercations? Most people do it for fun and exercise. Why wouldni train any martial art for street altercations when I can use a knife or gun for self defense?

1/16/20 2:41 PM
1/1/01
JoeHurley - 

Why are you are assuming people train sport bjj for street altercations? Most people do it for fun and exercise. Why wouldni train any martial art for street altercations when I can use a knife or gun for self defense?

I didn't assume that. Why did you assume I assumed that? But I think most sport bjjers would think they're prepared for a self defense situaiton. Do you not? And do you carry a gun or a knife regularly and train how to use one? Can you contemplate an altercation where you would need to deliver less force than a gun or knife could?
1/16/20 2:44 PM
6/8/10
The Leg Collector -

How can you say that for sure, in theory I get what you are saying but this weird idea that a bjj guy, even at the lowest ranking can beat any guy who's never trained bjj at the drop of a hat. 

I've seen many bjj guys that not athletic at all, couldn't throw a punch if they had to and probably couldn't take one either. In a straight grappling match with someone similar in size, yes they could sub them but a guy of similar size, athletic and has some power, who happens to train WC would beat the shit out of them. We had a kid in class, he was a blue shirt and a fairly decent grappler, his technique was very good but he was just weak. He came to the MT class for about a month and finally quit because he just couldn't take it. You can do bjj and be a neerdy weakling, you may not ever be a world beater but you can do it, the same can't be said about striking. 

1/16/20 2:44 PM
3/7/05

A sport BJJ guy would easily be able to wrap up an untrained street fighter, drag them to the ground and choke them. If you are trying to say it won't work against a gun, sure. But wing chun doesn't work against ANYTHING.