UnderGround Forums Jon Fitch on what it would take to fight again

4/4/20 10:11 AM
1/1/01

Bellator MMA welterweight Jon Fitch is undefeated in his last six fights. He's now 42, with three fights left on his contract, and coming off a draw vs. then promotion champion Rory MacDonald in the Bellator WW GP a year ago. Fitch hinted at retirement after the draw, but has spoken with his management about what it would take to get him to fight again - more money than his contract, or a title shot or title eliminator, or a main event.

“If they offer me more than what I’m currently contracted for, I would fight anybody," said Fitch to Danny Segura for MMA Junkie. "But otherwise, a title eliminator or the title – that’s what would do it."

“I’ve been thinking about retirement for a while because the body is beat up and the money is not there. I’ve been doing this 17 years and it’s not the sport I thought it was going to be. It’s not even a sport anymore. t’s pro wrestling without the pre-determined outcome. So it’s a frustrating thing to be bound to these promoters. You never know when you’re going to fight, or if you’re going to get a fight, or if it’s good fight. There’s no merit system at all – it’s all about entertainment. They’re just putting on a show. It’s a show."

“That, paired with physical issues – I have kids now, so if the fights are not really appealing, it’s not worth doing. It’s not worth getting into training camp and breaking down my body for the amount of money that we’re making. There’s other jobs you can do and get by and not get brain damage."

4/4/20 10:24 AM
8/16/12

Jon Fitch thought he could snooze fest unanimous decision his way to bug money. Thought wrong buddy

4/4/20 10:32 AM
3/19/04
man meets fate - 

Jon Fitch thought he could snooze fest unanimous decision his way to bug money. Thought wrong buddy

I never thought he was boring. Maybe I'm forgetting some of his fights but I remember him being pretty aggressive once he got someone down. He was a grappling grinder but he was skilled and he was always working.

Or do I have a terrible memory?

4/4/20 10:41 AM
11/23/03

He’s not wrong, but he’s been complaining for 10 years now.

It’s a sobering reality for these guys once they hit their early 40’s and have nothing.

4/4/20 10:48 AM
2/16/09
fitch gameplan was always to hold you against the cage, wait until the ref stands him up, then hold you against the cage. one of the most boring fighters of all time but also one of the best at his style.
4/4/20 11:15 AM
8/10/15

So, Fitch will only fight if they offer him more money than what he is contracted for? :-/ 

Good to know that he doesn't keep his word. He signed a contract. Fight for what you agreed upon or don't fight and earn nothing by rejecting fights which were offered to him at...his contract price. I'm tired of seeing fighters constantly stall fighting over wanting more money. Fight more than once or twice per year if you want to earn more money. He fights less now but wants to earn more... Uhhh, nope. Retire and go away.

4/4/20 11:45 AM
5/28/03

He's both right and wrong.

This game is super unforgiving. 

He got to the title fight against GSP purely on merit, there was no Fitch fan base or people who wanted to see his fights for the entertainment value.

After that, its very hard to get them to keep you around when you have no realistic way to beat the champ and the fans dont enjoy your performances.

I agree with him more than I disagree, the rankings are complete bullshit and make no difference in booking.

4/4/20 12:34 PM
11/27/02
a lot of that interview is Fitch complaining and making excuses for being boring
4/4/20 12:51 PM
3/15/10
Paradoxguy -

So, Fitch will only fight if they offer him more money than what he is contracted for? :-/ 

Good to know that he doesn't keep his word. He signed a contract. Fight for what you agreed upon or don't fight and earn nothing by rejecting fights which were offered to him at...his contract price. I'm tired of seeing fighters constantly stall fighting over wanting more money. Fight more than once or twice per year if you want to earn more money. He fights less now but wants to earn more... Uhhh, nope. Retire and go away.

Man, like 30% of your posts are hating on Fitch. Crazy vendetta.

4/4/20 12:52 PM
1/3/20

He roided like hell for his last fight, that was funny! 

4/4/20 1:03 PM
1/1/01

I like Fitch but he should open up a gym or something other than fight.

4/4/20 2:53 PM
10/19/14
Paradoxguy -

You should post less often

4/4/20 3:30 PM
5/13/05
KaiTangata -

He roided like hell for his last fight, that was funny! 

He failed a PED test in the past as well after trying to be holier than thou regarding steroids. The guy is a fraud when it comes to advocating for fighters and the "Sport" aspect of MMA.

4/4/20 4:07 PM
7/31/09

Never want to see him fight again. 

4/4/20 5:17 PM
2/10/20
Canooke -
man meets fate - 

I never thought he was boring. Maybe I'm forgetting some of his fights but I remember him being pretty aggressive once he got someone down. He was a grappling grinder but he was skilled and he was always working.

Guessing you're a noob?

It's okay we all were.

At one point "lay & pray" was simply called "Fitching".

His most exciting fight was when GSP absolutely beat the ever living shit out of him for 5 rounds while he tried to Fitch his way through that fight.

4/4/20 5:19 PM
11/20/09
HELWIG - 

He's both right and wrong.

This game is super unforgiving. 

He got to the title fight against GSP purely on merit, there was no Fitch fan base or people who wanted to see his fights for the entertainment value.

After that, its very hard to get them to keep you around when you have no realistic way to beat the champ and the fans dont enjoy your performances.

I agree with him more than I disagree, the rankings are complete bullshit and make no difference in booking.

Good point however I think a good counter point, would be while Jon Fitch was awarded a title shot against GSP based on merit, I think it's safe to say if someone like Conor fought and lost to GSP, Conor would have got a rematch where as Jon Fitch never was even considered, despite going the distance with prime GSP.

Edited: 4/4/20 5:34 PM
9/27/10

Zzzzzzzzz

4/4/20 5:39 PM
8/20/03

Fitch had a talent and that worked. Like it or not, he won fights. As a fighter it's up to you to stop him.

This trash talking stuff being taken more seriously than actual wins is garbage.

4/4/20 5:55 PM
11/20/09

^^Captain Canuck^^ coming with the REAL

4/4/20 9:46 PM
9/5/12

Fitch was the 2and best WW in the world during GSPs reign. Granted he wasn't the most exciting but the guy can fight. 

After years in the business fighting the best of the best, pay the man his fucking money. 

4/4/20 9:50 PM
3/19/04
KingMartyrJack - 
Canooke -
man meets fate - 

Guessing you're a noob?

It's okay we all were.

His most exciting fight was when GSP absolutely beat the ever living shit out of him for 5 rounds while he tried to Fitch his way through that fight.

Welcome to the forum!

4/4/20 9:56 PM
2/27/20

The dude laid and prayed more than Christchurch 

4/4/20 9:58 PM
2/10/20
Canooke -
KingMartyrJack - 
Canooke -
man meets fate - 

Guessing you're a noob?

It's okay we all were.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks, man. I appreciate the love. People are so warm and friendly here.

4/4/20 10:18 PM
8/29/07
Jon Fitch is the most boring anti-entertainment fighter so I can understand why he has this opinion
4/4/20 11:36 PM
1/2/06

Fitch was always boring even in his prime. 

If he retires nobody will notice or care. That’s why he doesn’t get paid more than he does.