UnderGround Forums Jon Jones asks for release again

5/31/20 10:31 AM
1/1/01

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and president Dana White have bickered bitterly on Twitter this week over the pay for a potential superfight vs. top heavyweight Francis Ngannou. At the UFC on ESPN 9 post-fight press conference, White implied that the lack of LeBron James money was due to Jones' endless character failings outside the Octagon, and Jones responded:

There are a lot of takeaways from all this, but one of them has to be that Twitter and text messaging is not the ideal way to conduct business negotiations.

Edited: 5/31/20 10:38 AM
9/24/18
Hey look, if I was ever gonna take one of these guys at their word, it's Jon, as crazy as that sounds.

Dana makes an idiot of himself by saying "I HAVE TEXT MESSAGES....but i dont wanna show those."
5/31/20 10:42 AM
5/3/18
Jones right nostril - Hey look, if I was ever gonna take one of these guys at their word, it's Jon, as crazy as that sounds.

Dana makes an idiot of himself by saying "I HAVE TEXT MESSAGES....but i dont wanna show those."

He needs fighters to trust him, he doesn't wanna be that guy.

5/31/20 10:46 AM
9/24/18
JMauler - 
Jones right nostril - Hey look, if I was ever gonna take one of these guys at their word, it's Jon, as crazy as that sounds.

Please, any fighter with half a wit knows Dana cannot be trusted. How many people has he sold down the river over the years?

Low key though I think Dana is loving having Jon by the balls over this. He knows Jon needs him a heck of a lot more than he needs Jon.
5/31/20 10:52 AM
12/9/02

Dana/UFC have no incentive to let him out of his contract. NONE.

also no incentive to pay him whatever he's asking. 

Every fighter gambles on a contract, not knowing if their value may increase before the contact expires. Not knowing if, by winning a title, they will have even less leverage. 

They also can't ever prove that they would have done as well without the ufc.

So Jon is shit out of luck

This is also why GreaseSP should be a hero in the way he has achieved leverage over the UFC and continued to increase his value year after year even and especially when not even fighting.

5/31/20 10:57 AM
10/9/10

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter because the point is Jon wants more and BLAF isn’t interested in paying him more. I’m not sure what Jon makes (500k per fight??), but I don’t see why he should make more for fighting Ngannou. You’re asking for the fight, you’re saying you’ll go up in weight, but you want more money? It’s still a fight... 

5/31/20 10:59 AM
10/9/10
Jones right nostril -
JMauler - 

Please, any fighter with half a wit knows Dana cannot be trusted. How many people has he sold down the river over the years?

Low key though I think Dana is loving having Jon by the balls over this. He knows Jon needs him a heck of a lot more than he needs Jon.

BLAF is a promoter so it’s understandable he has to lie and withhold information. I agree that he is enjoying this. And correct me if I’m wrong but I think this is the first time I’ve heard him speak negatively about Jon’s personal life, outside of commenting in the aftermath of an incident. For the most part BLAF seems to give Jon the benefit of the doubt and has given him LOTS of chances, so it’s interesting to hear him say what he said here. 

5/31/20 11:02 AM
1/1/01
Jones right nostril - Hey look, if I was ever gonna take one of these guys at their word, it's Jon, as crazy as that sounds.

They both look a little like idiots.

"I simply asked for a superfight and asked to be compensated for it."

Asked to be compensated because they don't already pay him?

He asked for more than his current contracted compensation but won't say what he asked for. Dana says he asked for x amount of dollars and doesn't want to show the proof. Both sides pretty dumb.

5/31/20 11:07 AM
10/18/11

Being a dad? I wonder if he cares about being a dad when he's out there doing dumb shit all the time . This dude is something else 

5/31/20 11:17 AM
11/20/08

Ok so if these texts are between Jon and Dana then why is everyone asking Dana to see the texts?

Jon can pull them up too, or is he going to claim that he deleted them? Sure buddy then maybe Dana did too.

Jon will make a good amount in a boxing match with the right superstar, however he will get smashed, his actual boxing is quite bad

5/31/20 11:29 AM
7/24/14
steak and chicken -

Ok so if these texts are between Jon and Dana then why is everyone asking Dana to see the texts?

Jon can pull them up too, or is he going to claim that he deleted them? Sure buddy then maybe Dana did too.

Jon will make a good amount in a boxing match with the right superstar, however he will get smashed, his actual boxing is quite bad

Jon is claiming the texts don’t exist. He has told Dana to release his alleged texts. I hope Dana isn’t lying because I fucking hate jon

5/31/20 11:33 AM
6/23/10

These are two of the shadiest fucks in the business playing the he said/she said game.  

"I want to be compensated for a super fight.   But he said I asked for too much money" for starters he's already making champion wage, so a super fight doesn't mean shit if titles aren't on the line.

The whole show the texts thing is hilarious.  Both have the messages, yet neither will be big boys and put an end to it because both sides are full of shit.   

5/31/20 11:36 AM
7/7/10

Do Jones fights typicall sell? 

I know he's entertaining to watch, but is the money there? The way Dana seems to be talking, his drama + lack of of sales = he aint getting paid what he wants. 

How many fights have been delayed or canceled cause of his outside antics? 

Edited: 5/31/20 11:39 AM
2/2/12

Where would he fight if he was released? I doubt Japan would even let him into the country.

5/31/20 11:41 AM
2/2/12
Stea1th -

I know he's entertaining to watch, but is the money there? The way Dana seems to be talking, his drama + lack of of sales = he aint getting paid what he wants. 

From what I remember, not really. I usually go fishing at a nice stream whenever that asshole fights. Caught some pretty good trout over the years.

5/31/20 11:46 AM
8/29/07
Why doesn't Jones just makes the numbers public that he is asking for? If there is full disclosure then put everything out there.
5/31/20 11:49 AM
9/24/18
Happiness Bunny - 
Stea1th -

From what I remember, not really. I usually go fishing at a nice stream whenever that asshole fights. Caught some pretty good trout over the years.

Incorrect. His fights do sell.

Jon/Gus 2 did reportedly close to 700k and the Smith fight did around 550k. Those are solid numbers, especially the Smith number because no one bought Smith as a credible opponent.
5/31/20 11:52 AM
1/1/01

LOL at Jones making more boxing than his next three UFC fights.

No MMA fans want to see Jones box and neither do boxing fans.

Acting... he has been doing that for years with his Jesus talk but give me a fucking break, Hollywood don't want Jones either.

Boxing and acting he says....

5/31/20 11:58 AM
6/3/14

Is Jon still waiting for sentencing on his most recent DUI or did it just get thrown away?

Edited: 5/31/20 12:07 PM
8/19/06
BJ Penn Forever -

Acting... he has been doing that for years with his Jesus talk but give me a fucking break, Hollywood don't want Jones either.

"he has been doing that for years with his Jesus talk but give me a fucking break"

Lmao, vtfu

5/31/20 12:12 PM
3/12/15

Fuck Dana and fuck the UFC!

Jon should lawyer up and try to get out of his contract.

I bet Bellator or One or RIZIN would give him a fair share of the revenue he generates.

5/31/20 12:14 PM
12/8/12
BJ Penn Forever -

Without elbows and kicks any credible boxer fucks Jon up 

5/31/20 12:18 PM
2/25/12

Realistically the only other option he has is WWE and he could definitely make more money wrestling 

5/31/20 12:27 PM
5/9/06
Jones right nostril -
Happiness Bunny - 
Stea1th -

Incorrect. His fights do sell.

Jon/Gus 2 did reportedly close to 700k and the Smith fight did around 550k. Those are solid numbers, especially the Smith number because no one bought Smith as a credible opponent.

But are those $15mil - $30 mil numbers? Granted, I realize Jon is saying those arnt the numbers he asked for, but he did say he wanted to be compensated more to fight Ngannou. 

just reading what Dana said, Hunter will be happy to go over the numbers with Jon. Evidently, at least in Dana’s eyes, whatever the ppv numbers have been, the evidently arnt high enough to justify whatever Jon is asking for. In my opinion, when you are already under contract, that’s all that matters. 

Jon signed his contact. Jon should fight out his contract. Then there’s that whole champions clause, so he may be screwed in that respect, but I don’t feel to sorry for him right now. 

5/31/20 1:36 PM
8/26/11

Dana is Jon's boss. 

Jones won't win this.