UnderGround Forums Jones, DC, express mutual respect

8/4/20 1:52 PM
1/1/01

Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier enjoyed one of the great rivalries in MMA history. During a late June appearance on Steve-O’s Wild Ride! podcast, Jones expressed nothing but respect.

I think he’s an outstanding man," said Jones. "I think he represents himself very well. I think he represents African-Americans very well. He represents the UFC very well. Being a father, being an athlete, he’s very well-spoken, he’s a great commentator. ... I respect DC"

MMA Fighting's Damon Martin followed up in an interview with Daniel Cormier, to see if he felt the same way too.

“The reality is when you’re in the Octagon - this guy I was in the Octagon with over 40 minutes - if you can’t respect a person in that capacity when you’re done with them, then who can you respect? I do respect Jones in terms of what he does as an athlete, what he’s been able to do and all those things. It doesn’t have to be a friendship and it won’t be.”

“I do respect him as a competitor. I never said I didn’t. That’s where it gets all confused when they talk about this thing between him and I. I never not respected him as a competitor. It was all the other stuff I had a problem with.

“I never did that. If you’re an honest guy, which I try to think I am, you tell the truth. You can respect a person for their skills. I do respect those skills.”

8/4/20 1:59 PM
8/10/05

Jon Jones is about as fake as you get.

8/4/20 3:05 PM
8/26/11

Respects him as a competitor?

Even when he took steroids and beat the shit out him?

8/4/20 3:07 PM
5/28/03

Every single thing Jones does in-cage can be defended as part of the game with the sole exception of the out-stretched arms sticking fingers in eyes.

Its illegal. It can blind someone for life. And he does it anyway. And gets away with it. Over and over.

8/4/20 4:42 PM
11/8/08
HELWIG -

Every single thing Jones does in-cage can be defended as part of the game with the sole exception of the out-stretched arms sticking fingers in eyes.

Its illegal. It can blind someone for life. And he does it anyway. And gets away with it. Over and over.

Honestly, I dont remember Jon doing that in his last 6 fights. 

8/4/20 5:23 PM
1/1/12
HELWIG -

Like his ped use?

8/4/20 5:59 PM
5/28/03
OG 12er - 
HELWIG -

Like his ped use?

everything in the cage = tactics

outside of the cage = openly cheating on the girl he still never married who gave him 3 kids, drugs and alcohol abuse, PEDs, drunk driving, hit and run, fleeing the scene, firing a gun, threatening to assault and kill DC, attacking DC at press conference, etc.

8/4/20 6:04 PM
5/28/03
JoeHurley - 
HELWIG -

Honestly, I dont remember Jon doing that in his last 6 fights. 

He's done it in the bulk of his career fights. its not measuring distance. you measure distance in an mma glove with a closed fist because thats the distance the punch would actually be. you measure distance in a 16 oz boxing glove with an open hand because the fingers are covered and the distance is the same as a closed hand.

the only reason you would outstretch your fingers specifically at eye level is to try and poke someone in the eyes as the distance between your hand and their face is reduced.

its not only illegal and cheating, its sociopathic to purposely try and blind the opponent so you can hurt them while theyre unable to defend themself via a foul you intentionally caused.

The knee kicks and other shit people complain about is allowed tactics that are part of the game. Jones is correct in saying that people have no problem with brain damage from a KO strike but cry at a kick to the knee. This is hand to hand combat at the highest level not mancala.

8/5/20 11:11 AM
7/10/02
HELWIG - 
OG 12er - 
HELWIG -

Like his ped use?

everything in the cage = tactics

outside of the cage = openly cheating on the girl he still never married who gave him 3 kids, drugs and alcohol abuse, PEDs, drunk driving, hit and run, fleeing the scene, firing a gun, threatening to assault and kill DC, attacking DC at press conference, etc.

Some of you are so prude. Drunk driving, hit and run, firing a gun... those are some serious stuff as it affects or can affect other people, including random people just being at a bad place at the wrong time. That hit and run was really another level of shitty to get away with it as easily as he did.

But if he is a womanizer and his GF remains with him, WTF does it matter to you? Like if JBJ is such a rare breed of man with some fame and money who've fucked many women...

I HATE the finger poking thing. But blame the damn refs for not stopping the obvious repeated cheating. And well, DC learned that from him. IMO they should fight with glasses allowed when they meet.

8/5/20 11:16 AM
5/5/13

8/5/20 5:47 PM
8/26/11

Everyone wants a podcast these days. SMH

8/5/20 6:19 PM
11/24/13

Jon should be forced to fight DC on short notice under 24/7 USADA watch. If he can't beat him a third time, then all three fights get ruled a win for DC.

8/5/20 6:34 PM
8/9/07

8/5/20 6:35 PM
8/9/07

^ @ Nytron

8/5/20 9:22 PM
1/27/12
HELWIG -

This. I think it made his career and it pisses me off. 

8/5/20 11:00 PM
10/9/10
Nytron -

Jon should be forced to fight DC on short notice under 24/7 USADA watch. If he can't beat him a third time, then all three fights get ruled a win for DC.

Word, lol 

8/6/20 11:11 AM
5/28/03
mikethecricket - 
HELWIG -

This. I think it made his career and it pisses me off. 

its sad because his skills and abilities and most of all the sociopath mindset he has are all top tier.

But it's unclear how he would have done without his opponents constantly being at fear of losing their vision for life.

The only person in the history of the sport who found a way to not get called for routinely poking the eyes.

8/6/20 5:38 PM
7/28/10

So, DC can poke the shit out of Stipe's eyes and that is cool? Selective vision here. 

8/6/20 6:51 PM
5/28/03
decasere - 

So, DC can poke the shit out of Stipe's eyes and that is cool? Selective vision here. 

No, DC can and should be fouled and DQ'd as it occurs. Currently it's not clear that he's intentionally doing it and it hasnt been a factor in 90% of his fights so far.

If DC goes into multiple fights putting his fingers as close as possible to the opponents eyes, trying to foul them, and is NOT penalized for it......then youd have a comparison.

8/6/20 7:31 PM
1/6/10

If we combined these two guys we would have a perfect fighter

Edited: 8/7/20 12:18 AM
10/9/10

I’ll never forget Travis Browne gouging out Mitrione’s eyes for 2 rounds then finishing him off once he was completely blind 

8/7/20 12:40 AM
12/23/08
decasere -

I see what you did there.