UnderGround Forums Jones: I won't fight DC at HW, he might beat me

Edited: 5/14/19 2:57 PM
7/15/04

Jon Jones: Fighting strong, powerful Daniel Cormier at heavyweight just doesn’t make sense, I’m not doing it

“I’m a realist,” Jones told MMA Junkie. “Daniel Cormier is a special athlete and anyone can be beat. I think my greatest chance of losing would be to Daniel Cormier. We’d be giving him a power and strength advantage over me; it just doesn’t make sense.”

“Right now, I make light heavyweight very easily, and it would just make no sense to fight a guy who, I think, is technically on your level and to give him a size advantage,” Jones continued.

“I'm not doing it. I’m sure my fans don’t like to hear me talk like that, but that’s just me being a realist – and being respectful of Daniel’s abilities.”

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/5/14/18623476/ufc-jon-jones-fighting-strong-powerful-daniel-cormier-heavyweight-just-doesnt-make-sense-mma

5/14/19 2:08 PM
10/14/17

Most fraudulent dude in MMA history 

5/14/19 2:15 PM
6/22/06
Somewhat shocked he would say that
5/14/19 2:24 PM
3/10/12

What a fag

5/14/19 2:31 PM
4/28/13

Respect. 

5/14/19 2:31 PM
10/14/02
he knows dc is not a 205er

i think its dc should stayed at heavy his whole career
would have been interesting
5/14/19 2:49 PM
9/13/18

Jones speaking truth, nothing wrong with that, besides, DC already said if they fight again it has to be at light heavy weight, that's where he lost. The HW match won't happen anyways. 

5/14/19 3:01 PM
6/2/04
Jon's negotiating, plain and simple. He did the same thing when the UFC was talking about him fighting Stipe...he knows the move to HWT is inevitable, and knows he'd win there, but doesn't want to take additional risk for the same money. He's playing it smart, and doesn't care if fans will think he's a pussy. Plus some people will see him complimenting DC, and will start to think he's not truly a bad guy.

Stipe weighed 242 for the DC fight. I'm guessing Jon would be about 235-240 at heavyweight, so it's not like he'd be small. He's trained with several top 10 heavyweights for years, so it's not like he doesn't know how he'd stack up. If he truly thought he'd get worked at heavyweight, he wouldn't be talking about going there at all.
Edited: 5/14/19 3:07 PM
7/15/04
Rickmassmma - Jon's negotiating, plain and simple. He did the same thing when the UFC was talking about him fighting Stipe...he knows the move to HWT is inevitable, and knows he'd win there, but doesn't want to take additional risk for the same money. He's playing it smart, and doesn't care if fans will think he's a pussy. Plus some people will see him complimenting DC, and will start to think he's not truly a bad guy.

Stipe weighed 242 for the DC fight. I'm guessing Jon would be about 235-240 at heavyweight, so it's not like he'd be small. He's trained with several top 10 heavyweights for years, so it's not like he doesn't know how he'd stack up. If he truly thought he'd get worked at heavyweight, he wouldn't be talking about going there at all.

He will go to HW, he has already said he would. Just not against DC. This is like the 5th time he has said he would not fight DC at HW.

He alluded to what he said in the article at a press conference. He said fighting DC at HW would stack all the cards in DC's favor.

Now he has finally explained in full why he won't fight DC at HW. 

5/14/19 3:07 PM
8/22/14
Rickmassmma - Jon's negotiating, plain and simple. He did the same thing when the UFC was talking about him fighting Stipe...he knows the move to HWT is inevitable, and knows he'd win there, but doesn't want to take additional risk for the same money. He's playing it smart, and doesn't care if fans will think he's a pussy. Plus some people will see him complimenting DC, and will start to think he's not truly a bad guy.

This 

5/14/19 3:07 PM
8/22/14

5/14/19 3:10 PM
8/10/05
TexDeuce - 

He will go to HW, he has already said he would. Just not against DC. This is like the 5th time he has said he would not fight DC at HW.

He alluded to what he said in the article at a press conference. He said fighting DC at HW would stack all the cards in DC's favor.

Jones is playing a game. He knows fighting DC at HW is what the promoters would want and if he acts like he doesn't want to do it they have to work (AKA pay him a lot) to make it happen.
5/14/19 3:13 PM
3/23/07
Rickmassmma - Jon's negotiating, plain and simple. He did the same thing when the UFC was talking about him fighting Stipe...he knows the move to HWT is inevitable, and knows he'd win there, but doesn't want to take additional risk for the same money. He's playing it smart, and doesn't care if fans will think he's a pussy. Plus some people will see him complimenting DC, and will start to think he's not truly a bad guy.

Agreed. And he'd beat DC anywhere IMHO.

5/14/19 3:21 PM
7/15/04
Ministry of Truth -
TexDeuce - 

Jones is playing a game. He knows fighting DC at HW is what the promoters would want and if he acts like he doesn't want to do it they have to work (AKA pay him a lot) to make it happen.

He won't fight DC at HW. Anyone paying attention can see how he acts anytime fighting DC at HW is brought up. 

Take it to the bank Jon Jones will never fight DC at HW.

5/14/19 3:24 PM
8/15/11
TexDeuce -
Ministry of Truth -
TexDeuce - 

He won't fight DC at HW. Anyone paying attention can see how he acts anytime fighting DC at HW is brought up. 

They may just give him the bank and things will change quickly. 

5/14/19 3:25 PM
5/15/15

Well impressed with him saying that. Fair play for being so honest 

Edited: 5/14/19 3:54 PM
11/24/13

State+UFC sponsored doper & serial cheater wants to stay in a weight class where he enjoys a significant size and strength advantage.

Dude couldn't fight on a level playing field to save his life.

5/14/19 3:56 PM
1/1/01
Loper MMA -

Respect. 

This. I can appreciate him saying this. 

5/14/19 4:05 PM
2/24/07
TexDeuce - 
Ministry of Truth -
TexDeuce - 

Except for the many times he’s said he dies want it...

“But Jones doesn’t stop there. In Jones’ perfect world, he gets to fight Cormier two more time before ‘DC’ retires: once at light heavyweight and then once at heavyweight. That way, he says, he can reclaim the belts he feels should be his.

“Leading into our fourth fight, a possible fourth fight for the heavyweight championship of the world, his confidence won’t be in the right spot,” Jones concludes. “It won’t, and I think it will help me take that fourth victory over him and that heavyweight championship from him. I think I have his number.”

Plus I don’t see DC begging for the fight either.
5/14/19 4:07 PM
2/24/07
Nytron - 

State+UFC sponsored doper & serial cheater wants to stay in a weight class where he enjoys a significant size and strength advantage.

Dude couldn't fight on a level playing field to save his life.

So the consensus is DC is a HW, which is why he’s better there, as the cut to 205 is too much.

Yet Jones has no issues making it.

Have you also been whining the past 5 years that DC cut to get an advantage and it wasn’t fair?
5/14/19 4:32 PM
7/18/11

A bit cowardly for a self proclaimed "lion".

Bring on the middleweights!

5/14/19 4:37 PM
4/22/07

Maybe he is right,  maybe not.  At least he straight out said it. 

I personally think he would beat slower fatter DC much easier,  but thats just my opinion.  It would be a true badass move to beat someone at whatever weight class they say. 

Something tells me if in the same spot,  Hendo,  Chuck,  Wandy etc would do it. 

5/14/19 5:20 PM
2/24/07
ShanTheMan - 

Maybe he is right,  maybe not.  At least he straight out said it. 

I personally think he would beat slower fatter DC much easier,  but thats just my opinion.  It would be a true badass move to beat someone at whatever weight class they say. 

Something tells me if in the same spot,  Hendo,  Chuck,  Wandy etc would do it. 

Would do what? Fight a guy a 3rd time? Not sure how that is so noble. He’s fighting everyone out in front of him, including Gus, the guy the UG claimed he was ducking for 5 years because he was scared of him. And then Smith, who the UG said he was avoiding because it was “another guy as tall with a similar reach.” It’s like fans will talk about 5 potential opponents, and then when signs to fight 1 the narrative is he’s ducking the other 4.

Fact is DC is a great fighter but he’s beat him twice. Not sure why HW would be different. Sure dc wouldn’t have to diet and cut and would be stronger. But guess what? Same for Jones.
5/14/19 6:02 PM
6/26/11

It really is ridiculous DC won’t do it at Heavyweight. 

5/14/19 6:21 PM
6/30/07
Floppy Divac -
Loper MMA -

Respect. 

This. I can appreciate him saying this. 

Most honest thing I've "heard" him say.