UnderGround Forums Jorge: I didn't get exactly what I want, but ...

Edited: 7/6/20 12:46 PM
1/1/01

BMF Jorge Masvidal appeared recently on The Ariel Helwani show, and discussed the Pat Barry vs. Cheick Kongo-like negotiations leading up to UFC 251. "Gamebred" was supposed to fight welterweight champion Kamaru Usman but held out in an attempted contract renegotiation that got so bitter he eventually asked to be released by the league. Gilbert Burns got the shot instead. But the God of War Athena gave Burns COVID-19, and negotiations were back on; Masvidal was officially back in just six days before the fight.

“I didn’t get exactly what I wanted, but I got very, very close to it,” said Masvidal, as transcribed by Farah Hannoun for MMA Junkie. “I’m happy more than anything because I get to break this guy’s face and get paid for it. But one thing I’m not going to do, which I’ve done a long part of my career, is get underpaid. That’s not going to happen no more – not from here going forward.”

“The initial deal … was a s*** deal on the pay-per-view end and on the guarantee side, so I have two negatives. I could understand you don’t want to give me that much on the guaranteed. But on the pay-per-view, what I bring in, what people purchase, I want more money on that – and they weren’t budging, and that was that. So all this craziness had to happen for them to come to their senses.”

“[I’m] cold-blooded as can be. His body is grasping for air as I’ve got my hand raised over him. I’m just going to baptize him, man, for the world to see. It’s going to be violent.”

Having passed a test for COVID-19, Masvidal flies to Fight Island today. He weighed 192 on Saturday, and alhough he stayed in shape during the pandemic, has to lose 22 pounds to make championship weight on Friday morning.

7/6/20 12:34 PM
1/3/20
Taking a check to lose is what this is.
7/6/20 12:42 PM
10/20/16

What’s a MBF?

Edited: 7/6/20 12:43 PM
10/29/10

I hope Street Jesus gets paid. Jorge's a dog for sure and put in the time and work.

The man deserves to get that paper!

Would love to see a KO win and then a payday fight with McGregor.

7/6/20 12:47 PM
3/23/12
bootysweat -

What’s a MBF?

Jorge Masvidal

7/6/20 12:47 PM
4/25/16
bootysweat -

What’s a MBF?

Motherbadfucker

7/6/20 12:48 PM
2/25/15
KaiTangata - Taking a check to lose is what this is.

I think there is a realistic chance Masvidal was training just in case this happens. Usman is rightfully the 3 to 1 favorite, but don't count out Masvidal. He's not going to quit and he's dangerous.

7/6/20 1:36 PM
11/10/18
floofy -

I think there is a realistic chance Masvidal was training just in case this happens. Usman is rightfully the 3 to 1 favorite, but don't count out Masvidal. He's not going to quit and he's dangerous.

Really? You think he was training intensely enough for a guy with the best cardio in the division in a 5 round fight even though the deal wasn’t signed. If that’s true he’s the only man on the planet that would do that. 

7/6/20 1:41 PM
10/3/16

Name one fighter who is more hungry than Masvidal. Israel? Jones? This guy wants to win and he will.

7/6/20 2:06 PM
10/14/12
Jorge likes $$$!

He knows a win gets him LOTS more of it!

He's not gonna just half ass it out there!
7/6/20 2:08 PM
4/9/16
floofy -

Yeah I get this feeling as well but Usman's is super tough to prepare for without a CAMP camp. 

War hey Jorge!!!

Edited: 7/6/20 2:08 PM
7/27/08

He would be in tough with a full training camp. 6 days notice...I’m surprised the odds aren’t in Usmans favour even more. But, I’ll be rooting for Jorge hard come Saturday. Would set up a epic fight with McGregor if he can pull it off. 

7/6/20 2:33 PM
12/21/13

Na, he's going to KO that fool.

7/6/20 2:42 PM
6/27/05
Eskimo -
floofy -

Really? You think he was training intensely enough for a guy with the best cardio in the division in a 5 round fight even though the deal wasn’t signed. If that’s true he’s the only man on the planet that would do that. 

With these circumstances I can see the majority of the fighters being close to fight shape - fighters can drop out so easy with this covid shit

7/6/20 2:46 PM
3/23/12
Stu Cazzo -
Eskimo -
floofy -

With these circumstances I can see the majority of the fighters being close to fight shape - fighters can drop out so easy with this covid shit

Yeah, this.  Things are very different right now.

7/6/20 2:52 PM
12/16/11
bootysweat -

What’s a MBF?

Mad brother fucker 

7/6/20 2:57 PM
2/14/11

A few things:

• Good for Jorge

• Athena was a Godess and not a God

• The real God of war is Odin so suggest you apologise or I can on your behalf when I reach Valhalla 

7/6/20 3:03 PM
12/9/12
Eskimo -
floofy -

Well, Tony completed his weight cut even after his fight was called off. So at least one example of someone else with strong determination. Not exactly the same, but true professionals stay in shape all the time and not just during camp leading up to a fight.

Hoping Jorge doesn't prove me wrong and comes in good shape to fight. Will be a tough one for sure, unless Jorge hits another flying knee and sends Kamaru to Bolivia. ;) 

7/6/20 3:09 PM
8/20/03

I bet he was training just in case this happened.

As it is though, I see Usman drying humping and GnPing a victory.

7/6/20 3:19 PM
1/1/01

Athena was the goddess of heroic endeavors. Ares was the god of war in Greece, Mars was the god of war in Rome.

7/6/20 3:22 PM
1/1/01
Eskimo - 
floofy -

There are guys trying to get in on small local shows here who do that, yet you doubt that someone at this level would??

I know a guy that has good potential and is 6-0 in local shows, he trains like a maniac always, just so he can accept any chance he may get and be ready when it happens.

I respectfully disagree, and believe he is far from the only man on the planet to do it.

7/6/20 3:55 PM
11/14/16

I’ve got to admit that I’m impressed with usman. I’m truly shocked that he has agreed to a fight with less than a week out for his strap that he has worked his entire career for. I don’t see many other champs taking that kind of risk. 

7/6/20 4:04 PM
1/3/20
floofy -

I would hope so but doubtful he trained 100% as if he had a fight signed. 6 days notice for me makes it not that interesting and a waste of a good match up.

7/6/20 4:51 PM
12/10/09
Hiacios -

Na, he's going to KO that fool.

From his back?

7/6/20 5:26 PM
5/3/20

Surprised to see so many counting Jorge out. He’s a vet with much more fights. Extremely difficult to finish in any compacity. And is well rounded in every facet of the game. His wrestling is underrated and imo his striking is superior to Usman’s and it’s not even close.  

Hot take... Usman gets exposed.