UnderGround Forums Just finished Art Davie’s book “Is This Legal?”

5/20/20 11:18 AM
5/1/11

I know it has been out a while but I still found it pretty informative. I didn’t realize Rorian wasn’t all that interested in the project for example. A lot of cool stuff in it.

5/20/20 11:46 AM
11/28/03

i read it too

he didnt make it sound like rorions idea

5/20/20 11:59 AM
10/9/10

Subbed 

5/20/20 1:18 PM
5/1/11
ranier wolfcastle -

i read it too

he didnt make it sound like rorions idea

Yeah it seemed like Rorian wasn’t interested in taking part in it all that much. He did help by putting his name behind it though.  I also found it interesting that neither Davie or Rorian came up with the UFC name.

5/20/20 1:22 PM
1/1/01

Biggest take away is that they tried to get the toughest fighters out there and many declined (specific names and conversations documented in the book). Biggest myth in MMA is that Rorion somehow rigged the opponents for Royce's benefit. The Gracies back then thought they were the best and didn't give a fuck who was on the other side of the cage.

5/20/20 1:39 PM
7/20/04
And I don't buy that Rorion wasn't interested in taking part. It's right up Davies' alley to try and minimize others to aggrandize himself. Frankly, his whole story falls apart if he doesn't claim that.
5/20/20 1:47 PM
1/1/01

It's a really fun and informative read.

5/20/20 1:52 PM
10/14/12
FatBuddha - 

Biggest take away is that they tried to get the toughest fighters out there and many declined (specific names and conversations documented in the book). Biggest myth in MMA is that Rorion somehow rigged the opponents for Royce's benefit. The Gracies back then thought they were the best and didn't give a fuck who was on the other side of the cage.

And yet, all these years later thats still being brought up like its set in stone truth. Hate can do amazing things.
5/20/20 1:55 PM
5/1/11

Art also personally signed it and wrote a letter inside the cover which was pretty cool

5/20/20 3:16 PM
1/1/01
SuperFightFan - 
FatBuddha - 

And yet, all these years later thats still being brought up like its set in stone truth. Hate can do amazing things.

100% agree.

5/23/20 2:34 AM
1/1/01
Read it a few years ago. Very entertaining, very funny. Would make for a pretty cool documentary.
5/23/20 4:06 AM
5/22/12
dennis5 - Read it a few years ago. Very entertaining, very funny. Would make for a pretty cool documentary.

Or a movie.

5/23/20 7:43 AM
5/1/11
Jibbersbitch -
dennis5 - Read it a few years ago. Very entertaining, very funny. Would make for a pretty cool documentary.

Or a movie.

From what I understand that’s already in discussion.

5/23/20 9:00 AM
11/30/19

Have this on my list on amazon definitely have to read this and Big John’s book. 

5/23/20 11:22 AM
1/1/01
FatBuddha -

Jiujitsu guys in general 100% believed their was superior. I think that point is lost unless you were around those guys at the time. As a student of some old school guys, that was the mindset. And we were encouraged to test ourselves against the toughest we could find. 

5/23/20 7:17 PM
1/1/01
Anthony Tolone - 
FatBuddha -

Jiujitsu guys in general 100% believed their was superior. I think that point is lost unless you were around those guys at the time. As a student of some old school guys, that was the mindset. And we were encouraged to test ourselves against the toughest we could find. 

It wasn't even bout their BJJ. They had a tactical/mental advantage from doing these types of fights on a regular basis. No matter how much of a bad-ass someone else was in their respective sport, they were venturing into unknown territory while the Gracies had basically already set up shop there, so to speak.
5/24/20 3:21 AM
2/3/11
Choked72 - And I don't buy that Rorion wasn't interested in taking part. It's right up Davies' alley to try and minimize others to aggrandize himself. Frankly, his whole story falls apart if he doesn't claim that.

Yeah, you always have to consider the source. People are like "So Rorion wasn't that interested but Davies made it happen!". According to Davies.

5/24/20 5:55 PM
5/28/03

i think its established that they didnt want top wrestlers involved.