UnderGround Forums Just tried proper 12

21 days ago
8/22/14

Just got back from NZ to Australia and picked up a bottle, along with a bottle of Jameson ( from duty free, proper 12 is still pretty hard to come by in OZ )

Im a big piss head but mainly beer these days.  We did used to brew our own spirits back in the day so i have a somewhat decent understanding of what's good and what's not.

TLDR-  it's pretty bloody good.

21 days ago
12/26/09

It tastes worse than your moms pussy. Fuck off OP

21 days ago
11/8/16

It's fucking horrible straight and even worse mixed.

21 days ago
8/22/14

Cntd-

It's very smooth,  probably a bit to subtle for most conosurs .   But i for one can appreciate the lack of harshness. 

One thing i learnt from brewing spirits is i prefer simplicity.  Alot of popular spirits are distinctive because they actually leave in some of the " heads " n " tails"  which are actually the impurities at the start and finish of the distillation process before its up to it's optimal dististillng temperature of about 87 degrees Celsius,  and tails here its burning off the rubbish at the end.

Triple distlled dosen't really make that much difference these days with reflux stills from my understanding compared to back in the day where they used pot stills.

What makes the most difference is letting it soak on carbon properly,  and unfortunately the most crucial part that home brewers make.

The other main think that effects the flavor is the wood barrels there soaked in.

The type of oak , and how much its been chard/ burnt.   They might do other stuff as well but thats not exactly known to me.

TBC

21 days ago
1/25/12

My local Dan Murphys has proper 12 now I have a bottle and I’ll say Jameson shits all over it can’t beat a good old Jack Daniels 

21 days ago
7/14/11
Jack Mahogoff -

Nothing tastes worse than her pussy!

21 days ago
8/22/14

Cntd- 

My liking was after the came off the carbon and soaked on oak ( and this is the part where i feel like a dick, because I cant remember the type of oak. I know it's the one that mellows it out the most. We tried different ones and different amounts of charing, the fresher more mellow one with no charing was my favorite).

It's worth noting that id drink he stuff we used to make over anything ive bought in a store.

But essentially.  Thats it . Dont fuck with it.

The more you fuck with it the more you fuck with it.   But those two things are crucial for making a good drop.

The worst is when people make their own and ad a flavoring like burbon or rum.

You end up getting some garbage that tastes like southern comfort or some crap.     

In comparison to the Jameson IPA it definitely tastes alot smoother.  Both are 40%  but if you were to blind guess the alcohol content most people would suspect the alcohol content of the Jameson to be a few points higher. 

The Jameson has a significantly longer after tast that lingers.    

Im not knocking this, i liken it to prefering chilli / spice in your food. Which ironically i do.

Main point is. You cant drink it and say it tastes horrible,  the only acceptable knock is that it dosen't have enough flavor for your liking. 

If i were to make a whiskey, it'd probably be something along these lines.   Less is more. Kind of like how some people prefer there seafood.  Only because of all the experimentation we went through back in the day.

It's also worth noting that even though i heard it's supposed to be a cheap whiskey , I payed about double for it than i did the Jameson.  So in that case , if i had a choice in future I'll be drinking Jameson all day.

Just thought id write this if anyone's interested cos i would've appreciated something like this.

Ive necked about 1/4 of the bottle now so im gonna be proper fucked up at this rate.

Cheers cunts.

21 days ago
4/25/11
Grand master dave lang -
Jack Mahogoff -

Nothing tastes worse than her pussy!

Don't be a dick. 

It tastes better than it smells. Musty at first, and trails off with sour notes as it clears your nasal passages.

21 days ago
8/22/14
BDW_1983 -

My local Dan Murphys has proper 12 now I have a bottle and I’ll say Jameson shits all over it can’t beat a good old Jack Daniels 

JD is a rough whiskey mate.

It goes ok after a few though. 

I just thought of something that's probably gonna piss a few of you yanks off.

You blokes are the worst to say what's a good drop.

You guys weren't out there crafting the finest drink for the public the enjoy. You history is of making white lightning during prohibition that would get people fucked up on the illegal. 

Go back before that and yous were selling all sorts of shit mixed with " tobacco " and crap in the wild west days?

Now you're leading experts in a good drop of whiskey?   Sure boy's. 

I didn't even want to get offensive but tell me its not true.

21 days ago
8/22/14
Jack Mahogoff -

That's a bit cunty

21 days ago
8/22/14
Jack Mahogoff -

Fuck bro, if there's ever an example of something you wouldn't say to someone's face on here.

That shit wasn't even funny. 

All good.   Ive said plenty of cunty shit when im wasted.  Have a nice hangover. 

If you're not drunk then I'd be a bit concerned, cos that's some no-hoper shit.

21 days ago
8/22/14
BDW_1983 -

BTW.

Where's your local Dans.

A couple months ago they said they could get it but it had to be special ordered or some shit.   I was all good on that special ordering shit

21 days ago
4/16/11

It’s fucking terrible. Like he just mixed jamessons with jager. Not for everyone: me anyway 

21 days ago
8/20/03

21 days ago
7/11/12

Everyone is an expert on whiskey suddenly.

21 days ago
7/16/15

Stuff tastes better than most whiskeys I’ve had.

21 days ago
4/11/06

I like Jameson better. Proper 12 tasted like cheap whiskey with a hint of vanilla extract. I wasn't impressed

21 days ago
10/27/03
bungee up - 
BDW_1983 -

BTW.

Where's your local Dans.

A couple months ago they said they could get it but it had to be special ordered or some shit.   I was all good on that special ordering shit

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_869246/proper-no-twelve-irish-whiskey-700ml

Looks like they're stocking it as standard now.
21 days ago
1/16/12
Donoghue88 -

Everyone is an expert on whiskey suddenly.

It’s Conor’s Whiskey so you’ll have the following

-Mostly faggots who are trying to shit on Conor with bad reviews

-honest reviews which maybe good bad or ok

-then those who never tried it riding Conor’s cock 

21 days ago
11/16/09
bungee up -

Just got back from NZ to Australia and picked up a bottle, along with a bottle of Jameson ( from duty free, proper 12 is still pretty hard to come by in OZ )

Im a big piss head but mainly beer these days.  We did used to brew our own spirits back in the day so i have a somewhat decent understanding of what's good and what's not.

TLDR-  it's pretty bloody good.

It's pretty good if you have no pallet. It is swill. That doesn't mean it won't be successful, and it doesn't mean he won't be able to parlay that into an actual decent whiskey down the road, but right now, it's cheap garbage with marketing.

21 days ago
7/11/11

I’m a bourbon guy. So if you’ve had real good bourbon whiskey you know proper 12 is low end whiskey. That being said between me and my buddies we got to a couple huge car shows and party so we’ve had about 5 bottles altogether since it’s release. We use it to mix and at 24.99 a bottle it’s very affordable. I’d rather have a good blantons, eagle rare, or even just a cheap bottle of buffalo trace straight. The guy is making money hand over fist though because it’s not aged very long and that means money is coming back in a lot quicker.

21 days ago
10/27/03
It's cheap, low quality whiskey and is priced as such.
Don't review it like it its meant to be amazing.

In Australia, decent whiskey starts at around A$100.
I like a good whiskey but aren't a snob about it. I generally drink in the A$100-150 range.

Proper12 is priced at A$60.
I'm going to try it for giggles but expect it to be pretty bad.
21 days ago
1/25/12
bungee up -
BDW_1983 -

JD is a rough whiskey mate.

It goes ok after a few though. 

I just thought of something that's probably gonna piss a few of you yanks off.

You blokes are the worst to say what's a good drop.

You guys weren't out there crafting the finest drink for the public the enjoy. You history is of making white lightning during prohibition that would get people fucked up on the illegal. 

Go back before that and yous were selling all sorts of shit mixed with " tobacco " and crap in the wild west days?

Now you're leading experts in a good drop of whiskey?   Sure boy's. 

I didn't even want to get offensive but tell me its not true.

I’m Australian mate.

21 days ago
10/30/03

What in the actual fuck

Edited: 21 days ago
10/26/05

It tastes like a young whiskey would. It's nothing special...add $5 for the brand it's priced about right. It's not bad for its price point But it's certainly not good.