9 days ago
7/14/17

MMA is a crazy tough sport 

9 days ago
7/5/13

Justin's gonna be hell for Khabib.

9 days ago
2/9/09

My buddy mentioned this to me. Aren't Khabib and Usman boys? Usman called Khabib his brother...wouldn't you think since Usman is brand new in this camp he can give Khabib the heads up on what to do? 

9 days ago
11/18/15

They’re all managed by the snitch

9 days ago
7/10/02

Damn. And Usman being a very good wrestler is quite the perfect teammate for Gaethje for this coming bout. If they don't injure each other first LOL

8 days ago
10/24/13
Sprawl'n'Stall -

Damn. And Usman being a very good wrestler is quite the perfect teammate for Gaethje for this coming bout. If they don't injure each other first LOL

lol true

8 days ago
9/19/13

Gaethje would fuck Usman up at 170

8 days ago
7/30/03
Sprawl'n'Stall -

Being a "wrestler" does not automatically make him a good sparring partner for Geathje in preparing for Khabib anymore than being a good "striker" would make Floyd Maywether a good sparring parter for someone who was getting ready to fight Buakaw.

The same thing applies to Geathje beiong a good matchup for Khbib stylistically because he is a "good wrestler" IMO Geathje is in fact an easy fight for Khabib because he is not the same type of wrestler, or more importantly he is not the same type of mma fighter, as a guy like Ben Askren who was a great wrestler that made for a much more interesting matchup for Khabib.

8 days ago
7/25/08
As I've mentioned before, the quality of guys they have going in Denver right now is INSANE.

The best location for MMA globally, IMO (maybe rivaled by Makhachkala)
8 days ago
2/17/03
Calhoon - 
Sprawl'n'Stall -

Being a "wrestler" does not automatically make him a good sparring partner for Geathje in preparing for Khabib anymore than being a good "striker" would make Floyd Maywether a good sparring parter for someone who was getting ready to fight Buakaw.

The same thing applies to Geathje beiong a good matchup for Khbib stylistically because he is a "good wrestler" IMO Geathje is in fact an easy fight for Khabib because he is not the same type of wrestler, or more importantly he is not the same type of mma fighter, as a guy like Ben Askren who was a great wrestler that made for a much more interesting matchup for Khabib.

I think Usman is a good training partner to prepare for Khabib. Mostly clinch based, very strong, not based on an explosive double, and has good riding.

As I've said many times, Ben Askren is the best training partner to get ready for Khabib. In some ways, Maia would be a great help, too. Worse takedowns, but deadly top control.

But, Usman is very good to have around.

Edited: 8 days ago
2/9/09
Calhoon -
Sprawl'n'Stall - Damn. And Usman being a very good wrestler is quite the perfect teammate for Gaethje for this coming bout. If they don't injure each other first LOL

Khabib is a Sambo guy + wrestler for starters. Its the leg entanglements that Gaethje has to worry about. Its more like wrestling/no-gi Judo(against the cage) With that said, Khabib still does shoot his basic wrestling shots in the middle of the ring, as well actual ground control and thats where someone like Usman will come in to play. 

Gaethje has multiple areas to worry about. Clinch against cage as I mentioned earlier (trips etc), middle of the cage wrestling, and getting out from bottom. 

I will say Gaethje's best shot is if he can stay away from clinch and away from cage and play the center. Remember if Khabib is close enough to clinch, Gaethje is close enough to put his lights out. 

8 days ago
2/17/03
Slowshot - As I've mentioned before, the quality of guys they have going in Denver right now is INSANE.

Yeah. It is very good. I don't think it beats South Florida at the moment, though. Worth noting that Usman is with Wittman, but not Elevation.

Edited: 8 days ago
7/30/03

Imo Usman is not the ideal sparring partner and it's not just because of the styIe of wrestling. It is the overall styIe of fighting. Sure Khabib is a ground fighter and uses wrestling to get the fight to the ground but Khabib's of fighting is different than Usmans and that begins with the striking. The question is can Usman give Geathje a look that is similar o what he will be facing when he fights Khabib.

I feel like they have a game plan of staying off of the cage. Okay so staying off the cage is going to be different when facing Usman than it is when facing Khabib because the distance they fight at is different and the pressure they present is different. For instance, will Usman force Justin to close the disatance to get to a range he is most comfortable in or will Usman simply spar Geathje at Geathje's prefered range because that is also Usman's prefered range? That is a big difference because Geathje needs to learn how to close the distance against someone who is going to be looking to stay on thew outside and Geathje is going to need to practicce how to close that distance without simultaneously opning up himself to a takedown. Closing the distance to strike and maintaining good takedown defense is something very hard to do even if you are an olympic level wrestler. 

And that is just one aspect of fighting. Usman's ground game is different than Khabib's, etc.?

I am just saying Usman is a different look than Khabib is and imo is probably not giving Geathje the best training for preparing for Khabib. No knock on Usman. He is just a different look than what Khabib will give him.

8 days ago
7/25/08
wiggum - 
Slowshot - As I've mentioned before, the quality of guys they have going in Denver right now is INSANE.

Yeah. It is very good. I don't think it beats South Florida at the moment, though. Worth noting that Usman is with Wittman, but not Elevation.

Did you ever figure out the story there? I know some wittman guys train at elevation, but what's the relationship?
8 days ago
2/17/03
Slowshot - 
wiggum - 

Did you ever figure out the story there? I know some wittman guys train at elevation, but what's the relationship?

It seems like Trevor has built sort of a Jason Parillo type setup. He is a solo coach, a head coach, and has a private facility. He will send folks over to Elevation to get work in and bring folks in from Elevation. But, he is not an Elevation coach.

8 days ago
7/25/08
wiggum - 
Slowshot - 
wiggum - 

It seems like Trevor has built sort of a Jason Parillo type setup. He is a solo coach, a head coach, and has a private facility. He will send folks over to Elevation to get work in and bring folks in from Elevation. But, he is not an Elevation coach.

vu
8 days ago
3/23/06
Sprawl'n'Stall -

I think Kamaru is EXACTLY what Gaetje needs to prepare for Khabib.  However, Kamaru needs someone with better BJJ to imitate Gilbert Burns. 

8 days ago
4/22/20
Bend The Knee - 

My buddy mentioned this to me. Aren't Khabib and Usman boys? Usman called Khabib his brother...wouldn't you think since Usman is brand new in this camp he can give Khabib the heads up on what to do? 

Justin is Usman's teammate now. they will spend so much time together relying on each other to make them better. In fact they will have already spent more time together than Usman has with Khabib. I really really doubt this will be an issue
8 days ago
4/22/20
wiggum - 
Calhoon - 
Sprawl'n'Stall -

I think Usman is a good training partner to prepare for Khabib. Mostly clinch based, very strong, not based on an explosive double, and has good riding.

As I've said many times, Ben Askren is the best training partner to get ready for Khabib. In some ways, Maia would be a great help, too. Worse takedowns, but deadly top control.

But, Usman is very good to have around.

Ben is more of an open space wrestler. He isn't as dedicated or reliant against the cage and with the clinch like Usman and Khabib are. IMO Usman is a better prep for Khabib. Usman is also quicker, more explosive and more athletic than Ben... which are closer to Khabib attributes.
8 days ago
4/22/20
knockoutfighter - 
Sprawl'n'Stall -

I think Kamaru is EXACTLY what Gaetje needs to prepare for Khabib.  However, Kamaru needs someone with better BJJ to imitate Gilbert Burns. 

My guess is, with the years of training they've had together, Usman knows whether he can hang with Burns on the mat or not. This training camp won't change that. He will either feel comfortable enough to take Gilbert down or he will avoid the ground at all costs
7 days ago
3/23/06
Colby Covid19ington -
knockoutfighter - 
Sprawl'n'Stall -

My guess is, with the years of training they've had together, Usman knows whether he can hang with Burns on the mat or not. This training camp won't change that. He will either feel comfortable enough to take Gilbert down or he will avoid the ground at all costs

Very fair points! 

7 days ago
10/27/10
Bend The Knee -

They are both Muslim. That's what he means when he calls him his brother