UnderGround Forums Kansas to post real-time scoring in MMA bouts

15 days ago
6/9/16

In an evolving sport in which gripes against officiating are commonplace, the Kansas Athletic Commission will experiment with a major change.

Beginning March 1, the KAC will offer MMA promoters the option for "real-time" scoring, Kansas boxing commissioner Adam Roorbach told ESPN on Monday. After every round, the score of the fight will become public knowledge -- told to the fighters' corners, the broadcast team and the fans in attendance. Currently in MMA, the scores are read only at the conclusion of a bout that goes the distance.

Roorbach said the use of real-time scoring is up to the promoter and the commission will be flexible to the promoter's desires. It doesn't have to be used at all; it can be used for some fights and not others; and the scoring information can be given only to select people in between rounds.

Invicta FC, the all-women promotion that airs on UFC Fight Pass, will be the first promotion to use open scoring in Kansas for its March 6 card in Kansas City.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/28673921

15 days ago
8/27/11

Fuck yeah. Way to go Kansas. 

First the Chiefs win the Super Bowl and now this. 

15 days ago
4/19/17
Charles Barkley -

Wrong state. Kansas City, MISSOURI won the Super Bowl. 

15 days ago
7/14/16
Lights Out Lurker - 
Charles Barkley -

I was hoping he was making a joke over the Trump slip up... but now I'm not so sure...
15 days ago
6/9/16

^^^ Charles Barkley bringing out the Lurkers.

;)

15 days ago
8/27/11
Lights Out Lurker -
Charles Barkley -

Oh gee, thanks Captain Obvious. 

15 days ago
1/1/01

Standby for 3rd rounds where 1 fighter is ahead 2-0 to become the most boring and frustrating thing to watch in all of sport.

Referees will probably have to become more involved giving warnings/point deductions for stalling and timidity

14 days ago
6/20/14
Charles Barkley -
Lights Out Lurker -
Charles Barkley -

Oh gee, thanks Captain Obvious. 

I mean you are the one that fucked u.

14 days ago
1/26/08

I'm in favor, should have been done long ago

14 days ago
3/14/02

Bad idea! You are going to see a lot of coasting and playing it safe the last rounds if a guy for sure knows hes up in a fight!

14 days ago
7/19/13

Would help alot..

14 days ago
8/21/11
Dogman -

Bad idea! You are going to see a lot of coasting and playing it safe the last rounds if a guy for sure knows hes up in a fight!

Or you'll see the guy down on rounds give it that much more to make sure he doesn't lose.

14 days ago
3/14/02
GeorgeScoresPoints -
Dogman -

Or you'll see the guy down on rounds give it that much more to make sure he doesn't lose.

If the guy that knows hes win wont engage it wont matter! I think we have all seen this happen.Again BAD idea. I believe Muhammad Ali also exploited this type of scoring when he had a cut caused by a head, but and they lobbied to get the fight stopped, due to the cut, because they knew he was ahead on the scorecards.

14 days ago
3/14/02

It also takes away the drama and excitement in what could be a close fight, making it anti-climactic.

14 days ago
6/14/12
Dogman -

Yes. But no. It forces the losing fighter to push the pace and go for broke assuming he/she cares about winning. This should nullify any coasting tactics. 

14 days ago
6/14/12
Dogman -
GeorgeScoresPoints -
Dogman -

If the guy that knows hes win wont engage it wont matter! I think we have all seen this happen.Again BAD idea. I believe Muhammad Ali also exploited this type of scoring when he had a cut caused by a head, but and they lobbied to get the fight stopped, due to the cut, because they knew he was ahead on the scorecards.

He should get docked points for refusing to engage if the ref is worth a shit.

14 days ago
3/14/02
Connorwinztharematch -
Dogman -
GeorgeScoresPoints -
Dogman -

This place already complains about fighters playing it safe, this will only make it worse. Plus it very hard to " make something happen" if your losing and the other guy is playing it safe.

How many times have we seen a ref take a point for someone playing it safe?

Again bad idea!

14 days ago
6/14/12
Dogman -
Connorwinztharematch -
Dogman -
GeorgeScoresPoints -
Dogman -

This place already complains about fighters playing it safe, this will only make it worse. Plus it very hard to " make something happen" if your losing and the other guy is playing it safe.

How many times have we seen a ref take a point for someone playing it safe?

Again bad idea!

Refs are getting better. We see a lot docking points for eye gouges now and constantly warning jones about his fingers before he starts raking faces like they were his lawn. 

I think its a good idea. 

Its also not hard to go for broke against a coasting fighter if you know youre losing on the cards and nearing the finam bell.  Why more guys dont do it is beyond me. But pretending the coasting fighter is the one controling the pace is absurd. 

14 days ago
3/26/13

Something else that should be done is judges should have to answer questions from the media after the event. Just like fighters have post fight press conferences, the judges should have one of their own. This would at least make them accountable for their decisions and have to explain why they scored the fight the way they did.

14 days ago
3/13/18

What about the judges influencing each other knowing what each is scoring? Don't like that judge, or love the fighter or whatever, you start adjusting your score accordingly etc. Any number of influences need to be avoided.

14 days ago
10/3/16
3fie -

What about the judges influencing each other knowing what each is scoring? Don't like that judge, or love the fighter or whatever, you start adjusting your score accordingly etc. Any number of influences need to be avoided.

Just don't show them the score.

At least the fighter can keep tabs.

14 days ago
1/1/12

Anyone that didn't catch the Kansas City joke has been living under a rock. 

14 days ago
1/1/01

So now a referee will know if they take a point in the 3rd it will cause a win/draw. 

14 days ago
4/21/12

Do away with judges altogether. Let the fans score the fight in real time over the internet. People at the event live can score it with their phones.

The majority of fans will be happy, because majority rules and bummer if you weren't in the majority. UFC could even start having PTS fights (Pay To Score): You pay $5 on top of the verrrrrrry reasonable ESPN+ fee and the PPV fee and you get to score the fight, and $2 of every $5 goes to the winner of the fight.

Do it, UFC. Do it now.

14 days ago
6/9/16
Tug Dabone -

Do away with judges altogether. Let the fans score the fight in real time over the internet. People at the event live can score it with their phones.

The majority of fans will be happy, because majority rules and bummer if you weren't in the majority. UFC could even start having PTS fights (Pay To Score): You pay $5 on top of the verrrrrrry reasonable ESPN+ fee and the PPV fee and you get to score the fight, and $2 of every $5 goes to the winner of the fight.

Do it, UFC. Do it now.

You never want to see a fighter like Colby Covington win again? Because many fans hate him with a blind rage. He would never win a close decision if the fans got to vote.