UnderGround Forums Kattar coach responds to critics

Edited: 1/19/21 12:16 PM
1/1/01

The UFC on ABC 1 main event between former featherweight champion Max Holloway and Calvin Kattar was one-sided in the extreme. "Blessed" didn't just win every round; two judges called two of the rounds 10-8, and one judge gave Holloway three 10-8s. Kattar was gallant, the epitome of game, but he sustained a brutal beating.

Kattar is a member of the New England Cartel. The Cartel's head coach and manager, New Hampshire's Tyson Chartier, has done a masterful job bringing deserved international attention to the region, continuing the tradition of the likes of Kenny Florian, Mark DellaGrotte, Marcus Davis/Tim Boetsch, Gabriel Gonzaga, Glover Teixeira, Mike Brown, and above all, Joe Lauzon. However, Chartier has received criticism from some quarters for not stopping the fight.

The coach responded with a defiant message on his social network.

"It didn’t go our way Saturday night," he began. "But the world got to see what I’ve known for years, that this man will take a knee for nobody. He went five rounds with the best version of the featherweight goat that I’ve ever seen. He finished the 25th minute swinging and did it with a smile. To say I’m proud would be an understatement. I love this kid, I love these coaches, I love this team. Now it’s time to rest, heal, make some adjustments, and then come back better.

"To the critics who want to know why I didn’t stop the fight myself, I owe you no explanation. Unless you’ve sat in this seat you wouldn’t even understand it if I did. I will get back to Boston Friday and give Cal's mother a hug and look her in the eyes and know with confidence that I did what was best for her son.

"There are levels to this game and we just felt the highest. Now we have to figure out how to get there."

What do you think UG? Should Chartier have stopped the fight? And have you been in the seat?

Edited: 1/19/21 1:11 PM
1/1/01

"I will get back to Boston Friday and give Cal's mother a hug and look her in the eyes and know with confidence that I did what was best for her son."

Ummm, no he didn't.  Even the 50k fight of the night bonus was not enough for that.  Should have been stopped at the end of the 4th.  Edit: Also have been in the corner a couple of times in amateur bouts only.  Stressful as hell and I never wanted to do it again.  Watching your fighter get beat is horrible.

1/19/21 12:41 PM
1/1/01

Katter is a young fighter.  If this was Katters last shot I can see you going for it.  Even then there are things more important than fighting imo.  I wasn't there so I won't second guess,  just saying what I think I would do if I was in those shoes.

Hope Katter is ok

1/19/21 1:29 PM
9/23/07

This like almost everything else is a discussion fighters need to have with their coaches ahead of time. 

If Katter is fine with it so am I. 

Imagine if Anderson silvas coaches stopped the chael fight early? 

1/19/21 1:49 PM
6/27/02
Brockback Mountain - 

This like almost everything else is a discussion fighters need to have with their coaches ahead of time. 

Exactly. Or any Elkins fight ever. Comebacks happen and these guys work their whole lives to get a chance at a world championship. It was ugly, but Kattar was still firing back with some heat and knows he's probably been in the worst situation possible now and was able to continue and finish the fight. Those experiences are extremely valuable.

1/19/21 4:01 PM
3/4/10
Brockback Mountain -

Anderson wasn't getting bludgeoned to almost death for 5 rounds though. He was getting laid on. 

1/19/21 4:21 PM
11/8/08

Let them fight. That's what they're in there for.

1/19/21 4:27 PM
6/2/04
Tim Duncan - 

Katter is a young fighter.  If this was Katters last shot I can see you going for it.  Even then there are things more important than fighting imo.  I wasn't there so I won't second guess,  just saying what I think I would do if I was in those shoes.

Hope Katter is ok

He's not a young fighter, he'll be 33 in a couple months. He doesn't have a ton of UFC experience, but he's not exactly young. The oldest guys in the top 10 are Zombie and Stephens, and they're 33 and 34. As far as ranked featherweights go, Calvin is on the older side.

1/19/21 4:32 PM
1/30/16
JitzInMyPants -
Brockback Mountain -

Anderson wasn't getting bludgeoned to almost death for 5 rounds though. He was getting laid on. 

Bludgeoned to almost death, especially when saying this happened for the 5 rounds, is an exaggeration expected from overly dramatic women. 

Lay off the drama a bit.

1/19/21 4:33 PM
2/27/11
Tim Duncan -

Hope Katter is ok

He's nearly 33.

Got late in the big game but he's not young.

I agree with his coach.

1/19/21 4:52 PM
8/26/11

Coach seems like a selfish bitch. 

1/19/21 4:56 PM
1/2/20

A sustained beating like that can destroy a fighter forever. Best to err on the side of caution sometimes I reckon. I personally would like to see more corners stop it more often.

1/19/21 5:00 PM
7/28/17

If it was a matter of showing how tough Calvin is, 5 rounds was way more than enough to show it. IMO his stock would have went up just as much with a corner stoppage and he would have taken way less damage.

Edited: 1/19/21 5:39 PM
2/18/20

Tyson Chartier, Calvin's coach is right.  He was there ringside.  He was talking to him between rounds.  He also knew it was the biggest opportunity in his life.  Calvin is ok with it.  Also, Rob Font was in his corner as well and best friends.  I'm sure if he thought there was danger he would have said something.

* On a SideNote:  You can always tell from these threads who has trained and fought at high levels and who are casuals.

1/19/21 6:38 PM
11/10/05

Tyson has also had mma fights. Obviously Rob Font has as well. These guys understand the situation from personal experience and they had the opportunity to evaluate the situation during the fighting as well as gauging things between rounds.

and nobody is even talking about the ref in this. 

The ref was watching. He was close at times but he saw Calvin both defending himself and fighting back. 

1/19/21 7:34 PM
1/1/01

It’s the ref’s job to stop the fight and it’s Cal’s job to verbally submit. Third down the line is the corner and maybe the athletic commission. If anyone has any issue, it should be directed at the ref. I have no issue.

1/19/21 8:42 PM
8/18/13

If you don’t stop the fight when you’re fighter can’t breath without coughing, you’re a shit corner. No one has to “be in that position” to fucking know a simple fact like that 

1/19/21 8:52 PM
1/30/16
Dreville79 -

If you don’t stop the fight when you’re fighter can’t breath without coughing, you’re a shit corner. No one has to “be in that position” to fucking know a simple fact like that 

A simple fact like an opinion.

Fuck this place is full of idiots.

1/19/21 10:19 PM
1/1/01

I loved that response and think it was perfect. I'm a new fan and didn't even know who he was previously. He acknowledged what happened, was proud of his fighter, gave immense props to the opposing fighter, and showed humility in saying he wants his guy to reach that level. It doesn't get much better than that.

1/20/21 12:07 AM
6/18/16
Moke -

I loved that response and think it was perfect. I'm a new fan and didn't even know who he was previously. He acknowledged what happened, was proud of his fighter, gave immense props to the opposing fighter, and showed humility in saying he wants his guy to reach that level. It doesn't get much better than that.

Fucking damn right 

1/20/21 4:09 PM
8/18/13
danybayamon23 -
Dreville79 -

No, it’s a fact that a fighter who can’t breath without coughing, should be pulled out of the fight. That isn’t an opinion. Go ask a fucking doctor and see what they say, only dolts on a fighting forum would think to keep on fighting with that shit happening is acceptable 

1/20/21 4:26 PM
11/8/08
Dreville79 -
danybayamon23 -
Dreville79 -

No, it’s a fact that a fighter who can’t breath without coughing, should be pulled out of the fight. That isn’t an opinion. Go ask a fucking doctor and see what they say, only dolts on a fighting forum would think to keep on fighting with that shit happening is acceptable 

The fighters, corners and ref are dolts as well then. We're all dolts and you are the genius. Congrats. Perhaps you should go somewhere else where you can converse with other brilliant thinkers dolt free? 

Funny how all the geniuses are at home watching from their couches instead of coaching and showing us all how it should be done. 

1/20/21 5:50 PM
1/30/16
JoeHurley -
Dreville79 -
danybayamon23 -
Dreville79 -

The fighters, corners and ref are dolts as well then. We're all dolts and you are the genius. Congrats. Perhaps you should go somewhere else where you can converse with other brilliant thinkers dolt free? 

Funny how all the geniuses are at home watching from their couches instead of coaching and showing us all how it should be done. 

This, we’re all idgits and he’s the only genius here. Must be lonely for him.

1/20/21 6:37 PM
8/18/13
JoeHurley -
Dreville79 -
danybayamon23 -
Dreville79 -

I’m the one most people agree with here, not you or the others with your opinion. It isn’t the referees job to stop a fight for something like that, there’s an argument to be made he should have been paying more attention and called the doctor into the ring. The fighters are here to fight, if you’re a warrior enough to step in that cage, then chances are you can have two broken legs, two broken arms, a punctured lung and dislocated shoulder and you’ll still Wanna fight and believe you can win. 

One job every corner has, is to realise that, and to do what’s best for their fighter. Calvin had no way to win that fight in the fifth round. He didn’t have the power to knock Max out or to sub him. In 10000 fights between them that shares those same four rounds, Calvin would win round 5 zero times out of 10000.

A corner who won’t pull a fighter out in that position does not care about their fighter. 9/10 corners do not care about their fighter and are there for the money, this is another reason they don’t wave the flag when it needs to be waved the majority of the time. 

You can insult me all you want by the way, a green name doesn’t mean shit as far as your understanding of the sport and what a corner should and shouldn’t be responsible for. It just means you deserve respect for getting in the cage, that’s all a fighter needs to do and whether I like em or not, the respect for that has been earned for life and I’ll always speak respectfully to you green namers, especially ones I know and like from the WEC days like yourself Joe! But I can easily be patronising in return and say I’m sitting at home watching because I run a business from here and look after my family daily and feel no need to prove myself to anyone in a fist fight, I just enjoy watching others do it for my pleasure. I didn’t fight in World War 2 either, but I know a fair bit about it, because of studying and learning and stuff

But I digress

A corner, much like coaches and referees, has to earn the respect with how well they do their job. This corner did a shitty job this fight, it’d be nice if the outpouring of criticism from both journalists and fans made them listen and learn, but it appears not.

As a fighter, I’d expect you to side with the corner though, just like Deontay sacked his corner for the fucking excellent job they did. It’s not a job I envy, but they have to care about their fighter, before all else. I’ve watched this sport for a very long time, and I’ve rarely been as concerned or disgusted at a fight continuing as I was when they sent Calvin out for the fifth there

1/20/21 6:40 PM
8/18/13
Dreville79 -
JoeHurley -
Dreville79 -
danybayamon23 -
Dreville79 -

I’m the one most people agree with here, not you or the others with your opinion. It isn’t the referees job to stop a fight for something like that, there’s an argument to be made he should have been paying more attention and called the doctor into the ring. The fighters are here to fight, if you’re a warrior enough to step in that cage, then chances are you can have two broken legs, two broken arms, a punctured lung and dislocated shoulder and you’ll still Wanna fight and believe you can win. 

One job every corner has, is to realise that, and to do what’s best for their fighter. Calvin had no way to win that fight in the fifth round. He didn’t have the power to knock Max out or to sub him. In 10000 fights between them that shares those same four rounds, Calvin would win round 5 zero times out of 10000.

A corner who won’t pull a fighter out in that position does not care about their fighter. 9/10 corners do not care about their fighter and are there for the money, this is another reason they don’t wave the flag when it needs to be waved the majority of the time. 

You can insult me all you want by the way, a green name doesn’t mean shit as far as your understanding of the sport and what a corner should and shouldn’t be responsible for. It just means you deserve respect for getting in the cage, that’s all a fighter needs to do and whether I like em or not, the respect for that has been earned for life and I’ll always speak respectfully to you green namers, especially ones I know and like from the WEC days like yourself Joe! But I can easily be patronising in return and say I’m sitting at home watching because I run a business from here and look after my family daily and feel no need to prove myself to anyone in a fist fight, I just enjoy watching others do it for my pleasure. I didn’t fight in World War 2 either, but I know a fair bit about it, because of studying and learning and stuff

But I digress

A corner, much like coaches and referees, has to earn the respect with how well they do their job. This corner did a shitty job this fight, it’d be nice if the outpouring of criticism from both journalists and fans made them listen and learn, but it appears not.

As a fighter, I’d expect you to side with the corner though, just like Deontay sacked his corner for the fucking excellent job they did. It’s not a job I envy, but they have to care about their fighter, before all else. I’ve watched this sport for a very long time, and I’ve rarely been as concerned or disgusted at a fight continuing as I was when they sent Calvin out for the fifth there

And if you ever want me to coach you I’ll give it a go Joe. You’ve still got a couple of years in you I reckon and could kick some arse! I’ll try and get you a Diaz rematch, I reckon you’d beat Nick in 2020, we’ll drill you to go straight for the ground and pound when he lays down like he did for Silva, we’re ready for that bullshit!