UnderGround Forums Kay Hansen meets guy who bet $37k on her

13 days ago
1/1/01

The UFC used to be so small a fan could show up at an event and randomly meet and even hang out with some the event's biggest stars and their entourages. A friend of mine was once a UFC judge, and I wandered in and sat with cageside for the entire show. It's not like that any longer, but at UFC on ESPN 12 this weekend, one fan did get to meet a fighter he had a particular interest in.

But he had to bet $37,000 on her league debut.

Invicta FC strawweight Kay Hansen, 20, and former atomweight champ Jinh Yu Frey, 35, each made their UFC debut on Saturday night. Frey's previous fight was a title defense of her 105 belt, but she missed weight, won, and was stripped of her belt.

Hansen was a -185 favorite, and a fan put $37,000 on her, which would lead to a $20,017 profit. However, Hansen lost Round 1, leaving the commentators to point out that that bettor must be sweating bullets. But Hansen turned things around in Round 2, and subbed Frey in Round 3, winning a $50,000 performance bonus in the process.

Hansen knew about the bet and discussed it immediately post-fight.

“I saw that like 45 minutes before my fight,” she said, as transcribed by Ryan Harkness for MMA Mania. “That’s so crazy to me. I mean, I don’t know who did it. But that’s a lot of money to bet on someone making their UFC debut. But congrats to them, I guess ... It didn’t put any pressure on me because that’s your choice. I’m not responsible for fulfilling that. But I mean, it is cool to see people putting that kind of faith in me in a way, I guess. But really crazy for sure.”

And then two happened to meet as they left Vegas.

So the moral of the story is that the days of Frankhhh going to Burger King with Team Tito are long gone, but you can still meet a fighter you care about, if you have $37k to bet. And whoever that bettor is, let's call him Frankhhh, congratulations!

13 days ago
7/22/05

13 days ago
7/22/05

13 days ago
6/28/10

He really posed with his LV bag. lmao

13 days ago
8/14/12

Damn he had that kind of Cash to spend 

13 days ago
8/6/06
edward nigma -

Drugs.

13 days ago
10/5/11

I wonder if that's the only bet he made and what his reason was. 

13 days ago
1/1/01

I'm still thinking that's the return of frankhhh :-)

13 days ago
11/10/18
BrckNoHitBk -

He really posed with his LV bag. lmao

And pants lmao

13 days ago
6/27/02

Congrats to him! I would've had a panic attack watching the fight... hell I might've died at the window placing the bet.

13 days ago
1/1/01
KirkBJJ -

Congrats to him! I would've had a panic attack watching the fight... hell I might've died at the window placing the bet.

By the way he's dressed I think $37K is just play money for him.  I would stress over a $37.00 bet.

13 days ago
9/22/11

His bag cost more than the bet

13 days ago
11/8/08
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -
edward nigma -

Drugs.

Sigh.....

13 days ago
8/20/03

I was an early UFC like 50+ and was pulled in by some guys to sit in the post press conference to fill out the press seats and was even given a question to ask.

That won't happen anymore.

13 days ago
3/23/06

Unassuming bet man.  I figured it would be some old man, 55+ at least.

who the fuck is this guy and how does he have $40,000 bucks to blow?  

13 days ago
3/23/06
KirkBJJ -

I used to work in Vegas and sometimes high rollers would stop and talk to me because they had ongoing bets and just needed to vent.  

I met one guy in particular, he was from Chicago, it was during March Madness and he was placing 20K bets on multiple games.  The guy couldn’t help himself while the games were taking place so he would come bother me and release a bunch of his nervous energy.  The guy aged a decade in the 3 weeks I knew him.  He was losing towards the end and getting super depressing and annoying.  One day he just disappeared, presumably back to Chicago 

13 days ago
5/18/11

The ufc is tough to bet on imo.

Womens fighting is even more tough because the talent difference if usually extremely minimal.

13 days ago
12/7/10

This is just a strange story. Who risks $37K to win just $20K?? Hansen wasn't even a heavy favorite. She was just +185. When Ronda Rousey fought Holly Holm, at fight time, Rousey was a +700 favorite. What made this guy confident enough to risk $37,000 on the debut match of a fighter only 20 years old??

13 days ago
10/6/02
stainlesssteel - 

This is just a strange story. Who risks $37K to win just $20K?? Hansen wasn't even a heavy favorite. She was just +185. When Ronda Rousey fought Holly Holm, at fight time, Rousey was a +700 favorite. What made this guy confident enough to risk $37,000 on the debut match of a fighter only 20 years old??

the fight was legit though. It was not a fix.
13 days ago
5/13/05
stevekt -
KirkBJJ -

By the way he's dressed I think $37K is just play money for him.  I would stress over a $37.00 bet.

His Givenchy t shirt is probably over $1K. I knew a guy that would buy $750 Givenchy black t shirts just to get them embroidered with his company logo lol.

13 days ago
9/3/14
knockoutfighter -

Unassuming bet man.  I figured it would be some old man, 55+ at least.

who the fuck is this guy and how does he have $40,000 bucks to blow?  

Hong Kong money baby.

A lot of kids like that walking around Toronto whenever I hit chinatown with the fam.

Funniest thing is, once you see her profile picture with her boyfriend you could actually make a "Friend Zone" meme with Mr. LV

13 days ago
9/3/14
stainlesssteel -

Big difference lol 

13 days ago
12/7/10
colubrid1 -
stainlesssteel - 

the fight was legit though. It was not a fix.

didn't say it was a fix. I'm not pointing fingers at the fighters. Red flags for me are the huge amount of the bet PLUS the fact that Hansen is unknown, it was her first fight on the big stage, and the relatively low payout vs the mount risked. And the guy apparently doesn't even know her. Too many bells going off there. This guy is either the luckiest bettor ever, or he is the finest unknown MMA analyst in the game.

13 days ago
12/7/10
Peruvian Necktiez -
stainlesssteel -

Big difference lol 

thanks bud my bad

13 days ago
12/7/10

one more thing, this guy is a straight ingrate if he didn't break Hansen off with at least a grand of that 20G