UnderGround Forums Kay Hansen meets guy who bet $37k on her

11 days ago
3/17/14
Card -

If "They never should have gave you niggas money" was a picture lol.

11 days ago
6/28/10
stainlesssteel -
colubrid1 -
stainlesssteel - 

This is just a strange story. Who risks $37K to win just $20K?? Hansen wasn't even a heavy favorite. She was just +185. When Ronda Rousey fought Holly Holm, at fight time, Rousey was a +700 favorite. What made this guy confident enough to risk $37,000 on the debut match of a fighter only 20 years old??

the fight was legit though. It was not a fix.

didn't say it was a fix. I'm not pointing fingers at the fighters. Red flags for me are the huge amount of the bet PLUS the fact that Hansen is unknown, it was her first fight on the big stage, and the relatively low payout vs the mount risked. And the guy apparently doesn't even know her. Too many bells going off there. This guy is either the luckiest bettor ever, or he is the finest unknown MMA analyst in the game.

wtf? you are putting way to much damn thought into a 37k bet. christ. happens all the time, no idea why this even made the news.

11 days ago
8/1/07
Card - 

Bet $37K to win $20K...that is ridiculous
11 days ago
1/1/01
stainlesssteel -

one more thing, this guy is a straight ingrate if he didn't break Hansen off with at least a grand of that 20G

Since when do you give money to the team you bet on? Might as well expect a loser to pay you back for betting on him.

11 days ago
4/9/13
stainlesssteel -

This is just a strange story. Who risks $37K to win just $20K?? Hansen wasn't even a heavy favorite. She was just +185. When Ronda Rousey fought Holly Holm, at fight time, Rousey was a +700 favorite. What made this guy confident enough to risk $37,000 on the debut match of a fighter only 20 years old??

Everything you wrote is ass backwards LMAO

11 days ago
11/8/08
stainlesssteel -
colubrid1 -
stainlesssteel - 

the fight was legit though. It was not a fix.

didn't say it was a fix. I'm not pointing fingers at the fighters. Red flags for me are the huge amount of the bet PLUS the fact that Hansen is unknown, it was her first fight on the big stage, and the relatively low payout vs the mount risked. And the guy apparently doesn't even know her. Too many bells going off there. This guy is either the luckiest bettor ever, or he is the finest unknown MMA analyst in the game.

I know guys that drop $50,000 fights like it's nothing. Have seen 6 figure bets on big fights. It's just that you rarely hear about them like this. Plenty of bets going on like this all the time on women and younger fighters because that's where you can find some good mismatches and underestimated fighters. I put $250 on Hansen, Greene and Poirier  because those were the 3 fights I felt pretty sure about. I knew Kay had a good sub game and had seen several of her fights so I was sure she'd win. Nine of those fights played out exactly how I thought but they all won. I'm not surprised a bunch of other people be on her. That was one of the sure choices I had on this card.

11 days ago
11/8/08
HULC -
stainlesssteel -

one more thing, this guy is a straight ingrate if he didn't break Hansen off with at least a grand of that 20G

Since when do you give money to the team you bet on? Might as well expect a loser to pay you back for betting on him.

This.

The better puts up all the money and takes all the risk of losing it. Nobody else is entitled to a cut of that. Kay should have made her own bet. 

11 days ago
11/7/12

Biggest bet I have ever placed was $8,500 for a boxing match. I was shaking while placing the bet and the crazier part was that it wasn't even for me! My cousin and 3 other friends gave me the money since I was going to be in Vegas that weekend. They lost the bet and I remember feeling sick as if it were my money to begin with lol.

Edited: 11 days ago
10/6/02
Interesting he bet the exact amout (37K) to earn a even $20K out of it.. It is like he just wanted to win $20k. Otherwise he could have bet 36K or 30K.
11 days ago
7/14/16
I'm more impressed with how well they stitched that cut up. She's looking good.
11 days ago
4/22/20
cyberc92 - 
stevekt -
KirkBJJ -

Congrats to him! I would've had a panic attack watching the fight... hell I might've died at the window placing the bet.

By the way he's dressed I think $37K is just play money for him.  I would stress over a $37.00 bet.

His Givenchy t shirt is probably over $1K. I knew a guy that would buy $750 Givenchy black t shirts just to get them embroidered with his company logo lol.

A t-shirt that costs 1000 is the most obscene thing on this thread
11 days ago
12/7/10
JoeHurley -
HULC -
stainlesssteel -

This.

The better puts up all the money and takes all the risk of losing it. Nobody else is entitled to a cut of that. Kay should have made her own bet. 

Joe Hurley, you know she is prohibited from betting on herself. And think back to your very first pro fight. I'm pretty sure you were like 99% of all fighters at that time, dead zingo broke. And if you went thru a war in that fight, but came back to win, and some ninja dude banked twenty thousand dollars on your fight, then met you afterwards, showed you the 20G in his LV bag, and then failed to say, hey 'Joe, thanks bud for that win! Here's a grand on me!' 

Sorry, he would be a total ingrobate, deserving to lose every bet after that. ESPECIALLY if the fighter was a young female, with half the hustle avenues of the average male.

When you share your blessings, they return in triplicate.

11 days ago
4/22/20
stainlesssteel - 
JoeHurley -
HULC -
stainlesssteel -

This.

Joe Hurley, you know she is prohibited from betting on herself. And think back to your very first pro fight. I'm pretty sure you were like 99% of all fighters at that time, dead zingo broke. And if you went thru a war in that fight, but came back to win, and some ninja dude banked twenty thousand dollars on your fight, then met you afterwards, showed you the 20G in his LV bag, and then failed to say, hey 'Joe, thanks bud for that win! Here's a grand on me!' 

Sorry, he would be a total ingrobate, deserving to lose every bet after that. ESPECIALLY if the fighter was a young female, with half the hustle avenues of the average male.

I don't think fighters are prohibited from betting ON themselves. I remember Bernard Hopkins betting big on himself before the Trinidad fight.

I also heard about Freddie Roach betting on Pacquiao before the Barrera fight.
11 days ago
5/13/05
Colby Covid19ington -
cyberc92 - 
stevekt -
KirkBJJ -

Congrats to him! I would've had a panic attack watching the fight... hell I might've died at the window placing the bet.

By the way he's dressed I think $37K is just play money for him.  I would stress over a $37.00 bet.

His Givenchy t shirt is probably over $1K. I knew a guy that would buy $750 Givenchy black t shirts just to get them embroidered with his company logo lol.

A t-shirt that costs 1000 is the most obscene thing on this thread

https://www.givenchy.com/us/en-US/men/ready-to-wear/t-shirts/

They start at around $500.

11 days ago
3/23/06
Colby Covid19ington -
stainlesssteel - 
JoeHurley -
HULC -
stainlesssteel -

This.

I don't think fighters are prohibited from betting ON themselves. I remember Bernard Hopkins betting big on himself before the Trinidad fight.

Yes in America it’s allowed, but somesports books  might reject your bet. 

Is It Legal For Fighters To Bet On The UFC?

11 days ago
12/7/10
Colby Covid19ington -
stainlesssteel - 
JoeHurley -
HULC -
stainlesssteel -

This.

Good point partner, according to telegraph.co.uk:

"Nevada State Athletic Commission does not have any rules stopping fighters from betting on themselves."

Maybe the reason it seems so rare is that no fighter wants to bet big on themselves only to get stomped. The jokes would be relentless.

The story also says for the Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor fight, some poor soul (cough Dana White?) bet  $800,000 on McGregor.

11 days ago
11/9/18
stainlesssteel -

+700 favorite?

11 days ago
1/3/20
Typical douche that dresses like a clown. smh!

"Hey, look at all this name brand shit I am wearing" look is for well....
11 days ago
1/1/01
Kirik -

The UFC used to be so small a fan could show up at an event and randomly meet and even hang out with some the event's biggest stars and their entourages. A friend of mine was once a UFC judge, and I wandered in and sat with cageside for the entire show. It's not like that any longer, but at UFC on ESPN 12 this weekend, one fan did get to meet a fighter he had a particular interest in.

But he had to bet $37,000 on her league debut.

Invicta FC strawweight Kay Hansen, 20, and former atomweight champ Jinh Yu Frey, 35, each made their UFC debut on Saturday night. Frey's previous fight was a title defense of her 105 belt, but she missed weight, won, and was stripped of her belt.

Hansen was a -185 favorite, and a fan put $37,000 on her, which would lead to a $20,017 profit. However, Hansen lost Round 1, leaving the commentators to point out that that bettor must be sweating bullets. But Hansen turned things around in Round 2, and subbed Frey in Round 3, winning a $50,000 performance bonus in the process.

Hansen knew about the bet and discussed it immediately post-fight.

“I saw that like 45 minutes before my fight,” she said, as transcribed by Ryan Harkness for MMA Mania. “That’s so crazy to me. I mean, I don’t know who did it. But that’s a lot of money to bet on someone making their UFC debut. But congrats to them, I guess ... It didn’t put any pressure on me because that’s your choice. I’m not responsible for fulfilling that. But I mean, it is cool to see people putting that kind of faith in me in a way, I guess. But really crazy for sure.”

And then two happened to meet as they left Vegas.

So the moral of the story is that the days of Frankhhh going to Burger King with Team Tito are long gone, but you can still meet a fighter you care about, if you have $37k to bet. And whoever that bettor is, let's call him Frankhhh, congratulations!

I remember those days. Even got to hang out with Rogan at the time. It’s so awesome back then your so excited to meet a UG’r. Rogan was like the happiest guy when he met me. Those were the good Ol Days for sure 

9 days ago
5/28/03

very bizzare

9 days ago
5/28/03
uniquetechnique - 
Kirik -

The UFC used to be so small a fan could show up at an event and randomly meet and even hang out with some the event's biggest stars and their entourages. A friend of mine was once a UFC judge, and I wandered in and sat with cageside for the entire show. It's not like that any longer, but at UFC on ESPN 12 this weekend, one fan did get to meet a fighter he had a particular interest in.

But he had to bet $37,000 on her league debut.

Invicta FC strawweight Kay Hansen, 20, and former atomweight champ Jinh Yu Frey, 35, each made their UFC debut on Saturday night. Frey's previous fight was a title defense of her 105 belt, but she missed weight, won, and was stripped of her belt.

Hansen was a -185 favorite, and a fan put $37,000 on her, which would lead to a $20,017 profit. However, Hansen lost Round 1, leaving the commentators to point out that that bettor must be sweating bullets. But Hansen turned things around in Round 2, and subbed Frey in Round 3, winning a $50,000 performance bonus in the process.

Hansen knew about the bet and discussed it immediately post-fight.

“I saw that like 45 minutes before my fight,” she said, as transcribed by Ryan Harkness for MMA Mania. “That’s so crazy to me. I mean, I don’t know who did it. But that’s a lot of money to bet on someone making their UFC debut. But congrats to them, I guess ... It didn’t put any pressure on me because that’s your choice. I’m not responsible for fulfilling that. But I mean, it is cool to see people putting that kind of faith in me in a way, I guess. But really crazy for sure.”

And then two happened to meet as they left Vegas.

So the moral of the story is that the days of Frankhhh going to Burger King with Team Tito are long gone, but you can still meet a fighter you care about, if you have $37k to bet. And whoever that bettor is, let's call him Frankhhh, congratulations!

I remember those days. Even got to hang out with Rogan at the time. It’s so awesome back then your so excited to meet a UG’r. Rogan was like the happiest guy when he met me. Those were the good Ol Days for sure 

I went with my dad to UFC 31 and 32 when I was 16

Tito and Carmen Electra came right over and signed shit. It was unbelievably cool as a teenager.

I had watched since UFC 3 but didnt get to attent until those Zuffa shows.