UnderGround Forums Khabib Gaethje cold open

11 days ago
1/1/01

Once in a while MMA brings fans huge fights. In my book, a fight can't be more anticipated than Khabib Gaethje. Everyone has seen what Khabib did to reach 28-0 and what Gaethje has done to reach 22-2. Though Gaethje has lost it is how he has evolved since losing that makes him the toughest test of Khabib's career. Ferguson's nearly seven year undefeated run was amazing but not moreso than how Gaethje dismantled him in brutal fashion. Poirier's run in recent years was good as well but Khabib once again showed why he is undefeated. The 2020 LW division is the deepest the sport has ever seen and here we have both Khabib and Gaethje facing their toughest stylistic tests ever when they face each other. There are no young or aging champs or challengers here, both men are in their prime.

Casual fans can care about the Sapp, Takada, Ronda, Conor, Lesnar etc... fights the most and that is fine but to a hardcore fan of the sport, Khabib vs Gaethje is as good as it gets, for sure one of the best fights the sport has ever produced. This is the LW division's Fedor vs Crocop, Jones vs DC, Hughes vs GSP II, etc...

11 days ago
1/1/01

I'm driving two hours to Chris's house to watch it!

11 days ago
7/25/12

I'm excited 

11 days ago
3/19/04
Kirik - 

He's got the big tv and the good snacks?

11 days ago
3/15/10
Canooke -
Kirik - 

He’s got a big something that some consider a good snack...

11 days ago
1/1/01

RDA is out with covid so Khabib teammate Makhachev is off the card.

Now Umar Nurmagomedov (Khabib's cousin and teammate) is sick (not covid) and off the card.

If two of the three teammates had to be pulled from the card.... well I think most people would say the MMA gods have done us a solid by letting Khabib be the one who gets to stay on the card.

Elizu Zaleski also had to be pulled from the card. Not a teammate of the AKA crew but just more evidence the MMA gods do like to attack when the UFC tries to put together stacked cards.

Covid shut down Khabib vs Tony V in May but lets just hope with all the testing on island that we see Khabib and Gaethje step in the cage on Saturday.

11 days ago
1/1/01

I've never rooted against Khabib or Gaethje in their entire careers but here I will be rooting for Khabib. I would like to see Khabib achieve Abdulmanap's dream of 30-0 and then retirement. The man passed way too young and from all accounts did an incredible amount of good in his lifetime.

11 days ago
4/11/10
Steven McTowelie -
Canooke -
Kirik - 

He’s got a big something that some consider a good snack...

LMFAO

BRAVO

10 days ago
1/1/01

10 days ago
6/28/10
Kirik -

- Oh no, I just stood up too fast.

- No, you drank a lot, maybe you should stay...

10 days ago
7/10/02

Huge fight, weird hour ha ha

Is it in the afternoon as Khabib is a star in the Middle East and they focus on that market with the convenient hours over there?

10 days ago
1/1/01
Sprawl'n'Stall -

Huge fight, weird hour ha ha

Is it in the afternoon as Khabib is a star in the Middle East and they focus on that market with the convenient hours over there?

Moscow is 7 hours ahead of EST and Abu Dhabi is 8 hours ahead so yeah its being held when it is so all the muslim fans and Russian fans can watch Khabib at 9 pm or 10 pm in primetime. I've read Khabib is the second most popular muslim athlete on the planet so its pretty important to the UFC to cater to that demographic with this fight.

Its such a huge fight. I expect US PPV sales to still be huge, even for a afternoon show.

The aussie and kiwi fans are gonna have to watch their boy Whittaker at 4 a.m or catch a replay. Sucks to be them but they can suck it up, we used to stay up all night to watch JMMA shows sometimes here in the US.

Edited: 10 days ago
1/12/10
re the cold open

the music is AWFUL - so fucking bad - and the narration lacks weight

I don't know how to class it - "generic electro-country"? - but it's not a music type which gives edge to promos or moves the 18-35yr old (core PPV buyer) emotional needle. Sound like a freeware piece from somewhere like Audioblocks.com

Bad audio cut at 2:36 as well, where Perlman clearly fucked up the name of the island and had to redo. That audio edit wasn't done well, there's a noticeable jump.

Visuals great, but the overall package did nothing for me
9 days ago
1/1/01
Glory Kickboxing - re the cold open

the music is AWFUL - so fucking bad - and the narration lacks weight

I don't know how to class it - "generic electro-country"? - but it's not a music type which gives edge to promos or moves the 18-35yr old (core PPV buyer) emotional needle. Sound like a freeware piece from somewhere like Audioblocks.com

Bad audio cut at 2:36 as well, where Perlman clearly fucked up the name of the island and had to redo. That audio edit wasn't done well, there's a noticeable jump.

Visuals great, but the overall package did nothing for me

I have no idea what electro-country is because I don't know the 100's of music labels the hipsters use today but I hear a guy rapping in the background so I'm not sure it would be anything close to some type of country music. Don't sound anything like hick-hop either.

At any rate, I had to go back to even hear the music... I was not even hearing the music the first time I watched it... I was listening to Perlman and watching the video but you right, music sucks.

9 days ago
1/1/01

Khabib opened close to -200, the line has moved to as much as -350 Khabib in some places.

With the vig, I don't see any real value here on either side. Khabib at -200 would have been ok to hit when it opened but I don't like Khabib -350 at all.

Hitting Khabib at -200 when it opened and getting Justin now at +280 would have been the best play IMO. Not big profits but its the safest play if you felt stongly the line was going to move hard after the open. If you got Khabib at -200 and then come in and get Justin at say +350 right before the fight.... that would be ideal.

I won't be shocked if Khabib closes at 4-1.

Edited: 9 days ago
7/29/13
Kirik -

kirik and Chris are going to ufc and chill. Someones getting their dick sucked. Good for you kirik. 

9 days ago
1/1/01

https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/20/dana-white-khabib-justin-gaethje-conor-mcgregor-ufc/

Dana saying here that Khabib Gaethje is trending to be the biggest fight in UFC history. Not that shocked to be honest.

9 days ago
1/1/01

I posted this after you. Apologies. I didn't look closely enough.

8 days ago
1/1/01
Kirik -

I posted this after you. Apologies. I didn't look closely enough.

I would never care about something like that. I posted it because I was pumped for one of the best fights in forever and figured other people here would want to see the cold open when it came out. What you post on your site is none of my business.