UnderGround Forums Khabib hasn't fought an elite grappler - beatable

4/17/19 4:33 PM
7/27/13

Khabib has a simple gameplan. We all know what it is before the fight starts, and it works everytime. 

1. Taking his opponent down, 2. Holding him there, 3. Unleashing ground and pound 

1. Taking his opponent down: 
a) Shoots for a low single from the outside
b) Presses his opponent up against the cage and goes for an inside trip OR will lock both of his hands behind his opponents legs and lift them up and take them down
c) Clinches his opponent so he can do a hip toss or take the back for a suplex

2. Holding him there:
a) Often uses a leg lace to bind his opponents legs so he can't move, pushes them against the cage and punches them from that position
b) If he passes the guard he goes for a crucifix with punches as well

None of his opponenets to date have been an elite wrestler or an elite BJJ fighter. They have mostly been "well rounded" fighters who are good everywhere but great no where. He has fought 2 elite strikers in Edson Barbosa, and Conor McGregor, but their elite strikering was completely taken off the table when the takedown was established. 

The only notable wrestler he fought was Al Iaquinta... But he's hardly considered elite. He has never fought an elite BJJ fighter. Al was a college wrestler, and while Khabib was having success early on, he was really struggling with the takedown in rounds 3 onwards. He was forced to stand with Al after many unsuccessful wrestling shots. 

I would really like to see Khabib against Gaethje, who was an established college wrestler who can strike as well. I believe Gaethje could shut down Khabib's takedown and force a standup fight. If not Gaethje, I would like to see him face Ortega who could shut down his ground game. There's no way someone as elite on the ground as Ortega is going to let him hold him down. 

No disrespect to Dustin but his game is a "well rounded" jack of all trades MMA game, and against Khabib that's not going to work. To beat Khabib you need to be either an elite wrestler who can stop the shot and force the stand up, or an elite BJJ fighter who won't be held down and can either threaten submissions or get back to their feet. 

4/17/19 4:37 PM
3/13/18

Khabib has said that on a number of occasions, that is, you know my formula, whoever can withstand my pressure will beat me.

Gaethje is welcome to try, just climb the ladder like everyone else is all.

4/17/19 5:16 PM
10/21/11

Makes me think of when Koschek, Fitch, Nick Diaz and BJ Penn fought GSP. Theoretically they were also supposed to either stuff the takedowns or neutralise GSP on the ground. It didn’t work as GSP’s MMA wrestling and MMA top game were better than their pure wrestling or pure BJJ. I suspect the same will be the case when Khabib faces elite wrestlers and grapplers.

4/17/19 5:35 PM
6/20/11
Blunderhooks -

Makes me think of when Koschek, Fitch, Nick Diaz and BJ Penn fought GSP. Theoretically they were also supposed to either stuff the takedowns or neutralise GSP on the ground. It didn’t work as GSP’s MMA wrestling and MMA top game were better than their pure wrestling or pure BJJ. I suspect the same will be the case when Khabib faces elite wrestlers and grapplers.

Yeah but khabib got stuffed and arguable beaten by thibau, at the time a fringe top 15 LW

4/17/19 6:04 PM
7/31/15

Perhaps not as overall MMA fighters, however I would say that Tibau, Trinaldo and arguably Tavares all could be consider elite wrestlers and/or grapplers.  Absolutely Michael Johnson though he primarily uses boxing.

Hooker also has strong wrestling chops I believe.

4/17/19 7:23 PM
8/20/15
3fie -

Khabib has said that on a number of occasions, that is, you know my formula, whoever can withstand my pressure will beat me.

Gatheje is climbing the ladder lol...his last loss was to the interim champ. One more and he can fight for the title. I've seen a lot less deserving fighters get shots. McGregor at 155, Nate Quarry, Paul Buentello, Brock Lesnar....

4/17/19 7:27 PM
9/19/13

Pico in 2-3 years kills Khabib

4/17/19 7:28 PM
11/19/06
3fie -

He’s fought better competition than Khabib.

4/17/19 7:29 PM
11/19/06
Robert Thomas -
3fie -

Gatheje is climbing the ladder lol...his last loss was to the interim champ. One more and he can fight for the title. I've seen a lot less deserving fighters get shots. McGregor at 155, Nate Quarry, Paul Buentello, Brock Lesnar....

To be fair Conor starched 145 and was the undisputed champ. 145 and 155 are close enough I think that qualifies for a title shot. 

4/17/19 7:34 PM
2/24/19

Send location ...

4/17/19 7:49 PM
10/3/15

FWIW Khabib and his crew went to Renzo Gracie NY. Khabib didnt roll but his team did.

Danahers guys beat them soundly.

Khabib cant be that much better than his team I imagine.

4/17/19 8:19 PM
1/1/01
Piratenbum - 

FWIW Khabib and his crew went to Renzo Gracie NY. Khabib didnt roll but his team did.

Do you know why Khabib didn't roll?
4/17/19 8:21 PM
11/19/06
FatBuddha -
Piratenbum - 

Ramadan bro.. Don’t be insensitive.

4/17/19 8:35 PM
1/1/01
Throwin’Knuckles - 
FatBuddha -
Piratenbum - 

Ramadan bro.. Don’t be insensitive.

LOL
4/17/19 8:53 PM
1/7/09

EPO

4/17/19 11:39 PM
7/15/17

Kabib beat a washed up Conor .. and Michael Johnson .. but other then that who really has he fought 

4/18/19 12:13 AM
11/24/13
shaqitup - 
Blunderhooks -

Yeah but khabib got stuffed and arguable beaten by thibau, at the time a fringe top 15 LW

How do people still talk about that? That was nearly a decade ago, unbelievable.
4/18/19 12:38 AM
11/10/18
oranos -

Pico in 2-3 years kills Khabib

Pico has potential, but he’s one or two more bad knockouts away from being done. In 5 bellator fights he’s been clipped and subbed and ko’ed badly. No one has started that poorly and gone on to be a great fighter. Also, I doubt Khabib is fighting in 3 years. 

4/18/19 1:05 AM
7/27/13
Blunderhooks -

Yes but GSP fought and beat all those guys. Khabib has yet to fight a prime BJJ world champion (like Penn) and/or an NCAA div 1 champion like Hendricks

4/18/19 10:13 AM
8/14/18

An elite grappler would have improved chances, but still lose. There's levels to this stuff.

4/18/19 10:43 AM
6/27/05

lol @ Ortega having anything for Khabib

4/18/19 10:59 AM
9/13/11
Piratenbum -

That equates to nothing in mma. If heel hooks and butt scooting are so effective against wrestling/striking than why are all the men’s belts held by wrestlers or strikers? Less than half of them don’t even have a black belt.

4/18/19 11:17 AM
10/17/18
shaqitup -
Blunderhooks -

That fight was 7 years ago and his second fight in the ufc. What a pathetic arguement.  

4/18/19 11:26 AM
6/2/04
The UG sucks lately. No matter who the fighter is, there's a thread talking about "but who did they really beat though???"

4/18/19 11:36 AM
2/2/08
I concur.

I will bet $100 that Brian Ortega will beat Khabib.

Make it happen BLAF.