UnderGround Forums Khabib's technical growth

8/22/19 12:18 PM
2/17/03
Quick observation about Khabib.

I rewatched the Michael Johnson fight. The commentary and post fight analysis suggested that Johnson's early success came due to his hand-speed. I think that misses the big story. To me, MJ's success came because he and Khabib has opposite stances and Khabib kept his lead foot INSIDE Johnson's. That gave Johnson the desired positioning and allowed him to land his power shots at range.

Fast forward to the Conor fight. I wondered why Khabib was circling so frantically. I now realize he was desperate to keep his foot outside of Conor's.

Worth noting that Conor--who at one point in his career had some of the best footwork we have ever seen--didn't make the adjustments needed. He did a bit of cutting off and adjusting. But, not nearly enough.
8/22/19 12:29 PM
6/27/18

Interesting observation. Khabib has definitely improved his striking, including his own hand speed and accuracy. You see him working on it all the time.

Someone posted a video on this forum a while ago that showed Khabib doing pad work over the course of several years. You could see him go from heavy-handed short-armed clubbing typical of wrestlers to much better distance management and arm whipping.

8/22/19 12:30 PM
6/27/18

Found it:

8/22/19 12:36 PM
2/17/03
^^Thanks for posting. I agree.
8/22/19 3:14 PM
11/28/03

technically, he is still 5'10"

8/22/19 3:40 PM
8/3/19
ranier wolfcastle -

I hope you didn't waste any time looking up his height for that abortion of a joke.

30 days ago
2/17/03
BathtubwiththeBoiz - 
ranier wolfcastle -

I hope you didn't waste any time looking up his height for that abortion of a joke.

McBain's jokes are good.
30 days ago
7/27/04

Great thread wiggum

30 days ago
2/17/03
EKPOGI - 

Great thread wiggum

Thanks. I think this will make a big difference in the Porrier fight.

Max fights in both stances. But, southpaw is generally going to be the best bet for TDD. However, Khabib's improved footwork makes Dustin's striking a bit less dangerous in that stance.
Edited: 30 days ago
12/7/18
TequilaYuen -

Interesting observation. Khabib has definitely improved his striking, including his own hand speed and accuracy. You see him working on it all the time.

Someone posted a video on this forum a while ago that showed Khabib doing pad work over the course of several years. You could see him go from heavy-handed short-armed clubbing typical of wrestlers to much better distance management and arm whipping.

Its not an "interesting" observation at all lol. Taking lead foot dominance is as basic as it gets. This thread is about some wrestling fanboy newb who just found out about feet positioning for the first time. OP is a tool who knows nothing about fighting. He claims DC and Jones, 2 HWs, are the most skilled fighters ever lmao. Lead foot dominance is not even the main reason why Johnson was schooling Khabob to begin with lol. Every southpaw throws the jab and steps out to throw that left. It's an advantageous position sure, espescially if the orthordox opponent exchanges from the inside, he will get beat to the punch, or his shot will miss, because he simply doesnt have the positioning. But the main reason why Johnson was schooling Khabib is because he would circle Khabib into his shots. Khabib would chase, then Johnson would stop to plant his feet, and time Khabib stepping in, with his leads. Another large reason was Johnson's body jab. He would circle and walk Khabib into body jabs, then go up top. I shouldnt be giving this away. But I would rathee put a troll like OP in his place. This is why Poirier is such a bad match up for Khabib on the feet. He has that same style of circling opponents into leads. I expect Khabib vs Poirier to look exactly like Johnson vs Khabib on the feet. And the interesting thing is that when Khabib tries to fall back on the wrestling (like he did against Johnson) Poirier is a much better grappler then Johnson. So things are going to get really interesting. Conor said he won't be shocked if Poirier starches Khabib. IF Khabib manages to get past Poirier, it will be by the skin of his teeth. And I promise you that Conor will come into the rematch with the right gameplan and absolutely humiliate Khabib 

30 days ago
9/24/18
ConorWinsTheRematch - 
TequilaYuen -

Its not an "interesting" observation at all lol. Taking lead foot dominance is as basic as it gets. This thread is about some wrestling fanboy newb who just found out about feet positioning for the first time. OP is a tool who knows nothing about fighting. He claims DC a HW is the most skilled fighter ever lol. Lead foot dominance is not even the main reason why Johnson was schooling Khabob to begin with lol. Every southpaw throws the jab and steps out to throw that left. It's an advantageous position sure, espescially if the orthordox opponent exchanges from the inside, he will get beat to the punch, or his shot will miss, because he simply doesnt have the positioning. But the main reason why Johnson was schooling Khabib is because he would circle Khabib into his shots. Khabib would chase, then Johnson would stop to plant his feet, and time Khabib stepping in, with his leads. Another large reason was Johnson's body jab. He would circle and walk Khabib into body jabs, then go up top. I shouldnt be giving this away. But I would rathee put a troll like OP in his place. This is why Poirier is such a bad match up for Khabib on the feet. He has that same style of circling opponents into leads. I expect Khabib vs Poirier to look exactly like Johnson vs Khabib on the feet. And the interesting thing is that when Khabib tries to fall back on the wrestling (like he did against Johnson) Poirier is a much better grappler then Johnson. So things are going to get really interesting. Conor said he won't be shocked if Poirier starches Khabib. IF Khabib manages to get past Poirier, it will be by the skin of his teeth. And I promise you that Conor will come into the rematch with the right gameplan and absolutely humiliate Khabib 

lollolololol

30 days ago
2/17/03
Nice.

Thiaguy is going to do this on all of my threads now, I guess.
30 days ago
6/27/05

30 days ago
6/27/05

30 days ago
6/27/05

30 days ago
3/17/14

nice one Stu. just keep posting that in every forum that fagboy comes in. 

30 days ago
10/9/10

OP for what it’s worth, the elite of the elite can get away with and could even have a better game without dominant lead foot position. 

Conor in particular likes to slip to his left and throw the straight at precise angles. Somebody like Khabib would likely need and/or prefer to have the foot positions so they have the middle opening for the right hand down the pipe.

I don’t remember either the Khabib/MJ or Conor/Khabib fights. In the Conor fight I’m not convinced he wanted to land the right, he was probably just circling away from Conor’s power. The opportunity probably just presented itself and he landed it. I’m sure his coaches and him knew that once he got the first takedown, mixing in some punches would surprise Conor a bit. 

I’d have to watch that video because I haven’t really analyzed Khabib’s striking, but you can tell he’s worked a lot of fundamentals. 

30 days ago
10/9/10
ConorWinsTheRematch -
TequilaYuen -

Its not an "interesting" observation at all lol. Taking lead foot dominance is as basic as it gets. This thread is about some wrestling fanboy newb who just found out about feet positioning for the first time. OP is a tool who knows nothing about fighting. He claims DC and Jones, 2 HWs, are the most skilled fighters ever lmao. Lead foot dominance is not even the main reason why Johnson was schooling Khabob to begin with lol. Every southpaw throws the jab and steps out to throw that left. It's an advantageous position sure, espescially if the orthordox opponent exchanges from the inside, he will get beat to the punch, or his shot will miss, because he simply doesnt have the positioning. But the main reason why Johnson was schooling Khabib is because he would circle Khabib into his shots. Khabib would chase, then Johnson would stop to plant his feet, and time Khabib stepping in, with his leads. Another large reason was Johnson's body jab. He would circle and walk Khabib into body jabs, then go up top. I shouldnt be giving this away. But I would rathee put a troll like OP in his place. This is why Poirier is such a bad match up for Khabib on the feet. He has that same style of circling opponents into leads. I expect Khabib vs Poirier to look exactly like Johnson vs Khabib on the feet. And the interesting thing is that when Khabib tries to fall back on the wrestling (like he did against Johnson) Poirier is a much better grappler then Johnson. So things are going to get really interesting. Conor said he won't be shocked if Poirier starches Khabib. IF Khabib manages to get past Poirier, it will be by the skin of his teeth. And I promise you that Conor will come into the rematch with the right gameplan and absolutely humiliate Khabib 

Dude if you would learn how to talk to people and structure your posts you would be a much better contributor. 

You basically come into every thread about striking and laugh at people for what you think is inadequate knowledge, or just tell people they don’t know shit. Then you proceed to type out a 500 word deposition and analysis with no paragraph breaks or basic writing structure. 

What do you hope to achieve besides being an obvious Conor troll? Very few people will take your breakdowns seriously doing it this way, but I’m sure you know that. 

30 days ago
2/17/03
MasterofMartialArts - 

OP for what it’s worth, the elite of the elite can get away with and could even have a better game without dominant lead foot position. 

Conor in particular likes to slip to his left and throw the straight at precise angles. Somebody like Khabib would likely need and/or prefer to have the foot positions so they have the middle opening for the right hand down the pipe.

I don’t remember either the Khabib/MJ or Conor/Khabib fights. In the Conor fight I’m not convinced he wanted to land the right, he was probably just circling away from Conor’s power. The opportunity probably just presented itself and he landed it. I’m sure his coaches and him knew that once he got the first takedown, mixing in some punches would surprise Conor a bit. 

I’d have to watch that video because I haven’t really analyzed Khabib’s striking, but you can tell he’s worked a lot of fundamentals. 

"OP for what it’s worth, the elite of the elite can get away with and could even have a better game without dominant lead foot position."

No doubt about it. But, for a guy like Khabib, it's super important. (1) His wrestling is weaker if he doesn't have the dominant foot position. When he shoots without the position, he only has access to the far hip. With the outside position, he can control the near him. (2) He doesn't have a polished striker's sense of distance. Against someone like Conor, it's the easiest way for him to assure that he isn't going to get bingo'd.
30 days ago
11/1/03

Op makes a good point. Kabib's standup has improved 100% over what it was. I think his  training with DC's camp was a perfect match for him. While not elite their striking is a major part of their training and is based around their very elite wrestling. The fact they can dominate most guys with grappling alone makes his standup even more effective. I like Porier but think Kabib will dominate him.

29 days ago
2/17/03
wiggum - 
MasterofMartialArts - 

"OP for what it’s worth, the elite of the elite can get away with and could even have a better game without dominant lead foot position."

No doubt about it. But, for a guy like Khabib, it's super important. (1) His wrestling is weaker if he doesn't have the dominant foot position. When he shoots without the position, he only has access to the far hip. With the outside position, he can control the near him. (2) He doesn't have a polished striker's sense of distance. Against someone like Conor, it's the easiest way for him to assure that he isn't going to get bingo'd.

Rewatched the MJ fight. He was getting clipped even while circling away from the power because of his foot positioning. Obviously, those shots did less damage.
29 days ago
3/14/02
EKPOGI -

Great thread wiggum

29 days ago
6/14/12
Dogman -
EKPOGI -

Great thread wiggum

making the ug great again.

( minus the conor troll )

29 days ago
10/9/10
wiggum -
MasterofMartialArts - 

Completely agree 

28 days ago
1/12/05

Yep. Khabib is miles away from being fluid, but he's become very effective in the standup, and he seems to be extremely coachable. In the McGregor fight he moved like a guy who had a gameplan and drilled it nonstop. The circling worked to prevent McGregor from setting up angles against a semi-stationary target and was a countermeasure against Khabib's tendency to say fuck it and get into a sloppy brawl where McGregor could hurt him. 

Independent of Khabib doing well, McGregor looked like shit warmed over in the striking portions of that fight. I was more impressed with his grappling prowess than his striking. He was completely unnerved in that fight, so much so that he didn't land anything significant in a 5 minute stretch of standup. 

It seems like the camp overemphasized McGregor's weakness and didn't sharpen his strengths. That's how moral victories are won, not titles.