12 days ago
12/3/02

Good video

11 days ago
5/30/15

Great video. Thanks! 

Edited: 11 days ago
1/1/01

I think its pretty sad that after a solid era of heavyweight greats that the obvious #1 and #2, Holyfield and Lewis, are still subjected to being asked about their thoughts on Tyson during every high profile interview.  Tyson was great in his own right and enigmatic but he wasn't either the toughest or best fight either guy had. Its confounding to some extent. 

11 days ago
3/22/10
buddie -

I think its pretty sad that after a solid era of heavyweight greats that the obvious #1 and #2, Holyfield and Lewis, are still subjected to being asked about their thoughts on Tyson during every high profile interview.  Tyson was great in his own right and enigmatic but he wasn't either the toughest or best fight either guy had. Its confounding to some extent. 

Lewis is 1. Holyfield is probably like 4.

11 days ago
1/1/01
buddie - 

It's the Tyson mythology. People want so hard for the myth of the invincible Iron Mike Tyson to be true, and they expect other people to buy into it, too.

11 days ago
6/27/18
buddie - 

If your perspective is pure sport, it's confounding.

But the reality is that Mike Tyson was and still is bigger than boxing. He's a cultural figure, a phenomenon, an icon.

People are fascinated by his life story and personal development.
11 days ago
6/8/10
phydeau -
buddie - 

It's the Tyson mythology. People want so hard for the myth of the invincible Iron Mike Tyson to be true, and they expect other people to buy into it, too.

The fact that he is brought up so often says something, obviously he's not the best but he was wrecking dudes at a young age and had that aura about him. 

11 days ago
1/7/09

Lewis fought an 87 year old Tyson.  Holyfield was the most obviously juiced heavy in history.

#picos

11 days ago
6/27/18
I was really impressed by Lennox Lewis in this podcast. Truly self-assured, but also interested to learn. Notice how he doesn't talk over people. He listens when others speak. He doesn't feel a need to prove himself in conversation because he does it with his presence.

Also remarkably well spoken and clear thinking for a guy who made his fortune in heavyweight boxing.

Compare that with some of Joe's other guests like David Lee Roth or Mauro Ranallo, who constantly interrupted, went on self-aggrandizing tangents, and couldn't hold a discussion thread.
11 days ago
6/9/16
TequilaYuen - I was really impressed by Lennox Lewis in this podcast. Truly self-assured, but also interested to learn. Notice how he doesn't talk over people. He listens when others speak. He doesn't feel a need to prove himself in conversation because he does it with his presence.

Also remarkably well spoken and clear thinking for a guy who made his fortune in heavyweight boxing.

Compare that with some of Joe's other guests like David Lee Roth or Mauro Ranallo, who constantly interrupted, went on self-aggrandizing tangents, and couldn't hold a discussion thread.

Good post.

11 days ago
8/7/12

That fight between Klitschko and him that aired on HBO. The fight where Klitschko was winning up until someone realized it and made the ref call the fight. That is the exact moment I stopped watching boxing. Complete and utter bullshit. That is at least how I remember it.

11 days ago
7/16/15
baj54 -

That fight between Klitschko and him that aired on HBO. The fight where Klitschko was winning up until someone realized it and made the ref call the fight. That is the exact moment I stopped watching boxing. Complete and utter bullshit. That is at least how I remember it.

Yeah you see cuts worse than that all of the time in fights.

11 days ago
1/5/11
baj54 -

Funny you say that. This was the exact fight that caused me to stop watching boxing as well. I kept hopes that Lewis would do the rematch. Instead he held the belt for a year without defending then retired. At least that’s how I remember it

11 days ago
1/1/01

The Kilitchko fight was a great one.  Lennox was originally supposed to fight someone else, Larry Donald I believe.  Lennox had clearly lost his fire after the Tyson fight and was nearing the end of his career. It took balls to step up to an opponent of that caliber on short notice  (for both guys). Boxing has a long standing tradition of guys pulling big upsets after being last minute subs.

Vitali was young and motivated to show he was not a quitter after the Chris Byrd fiasco.  Vitali came out hard and got up early in a pitched battle.

But Lennox was clearly coming on as the fight progressed. The cut was extremely bad and over Vitali's eye. There is nothing remotely controversial about how that fight was stopped. The stoppage may have saved Vitali's career. 

I do think Lennox questioned whether he could defeat Wladmir who was smoother than Vitali. But he had already secured his legacy and I was glad he got out with his faculties.  Too many don't and get lured back

11 days ago
1/1/01

great interview. 

11 days ago
3/13/08
TequilaYuen -
buddie - 

If your perspective is pure sport, it's confounding.

But the reality is that Mike Tyson was and still is bigger than boxing. He's a cultural figure, a phenomenon, an icon.

People are fascinated by his life story and personal development.

^^^This 

There are people all over the world who have never seen a boxing match but would instnatly recognize Tyson walking down the street.

11 days ago
7/16/15
buddie -

The Kilitchko fight was a great one.  Lennox was originally supposed to fight someone else, Larry Donald I believe.  Lennox had clearly lost his fire after the Tyson fight and was nearing the end of his career. It took balls to step up to an opponent of that caliber on short notice  (for both guys). Boxing has a long standing tradition of guys pulling big upsets after being last minute subs.

Vitali was young and motivated to show he was not a quitter after the Chris Byrd fiasco.  Vitali came out hard and got up early in a pitched battle.

But Lennox was clearly coming on as the fight progressed. The cut was extremely bad and over Vitali's eye. There is nothing remotely controversial about how that fight was stopped. The stoppage may have saved Vitali's career. 

I do think Lennox questioned whether he could defeat Wladmir who was smoother than Vitali. But he had already secured his legacy and I was glad he got out with his faculties.  Too many don't and get lured back

Lewis was supposed to fight Kirk Johnson, not Larry Donald. A minor footnote, but Lewis was at least training for a world championship fight before the opponents got switched up. 

Lewis was absolutely spent at the end of that 6th round, he put everything he had into getting Vitali out of there and Vitali was still standing. But there’s no way to prove what would happen so the debate will go on forever.

Ive actually been rewatching some old Lewis fights since he was on JRE. It was crazy how much quicker his punches were and his foot speed/movement was in the early 90’s, I watched the Ruddock demolition job and it was almost a different fighter. But he fought more reckless and didn’t have the experience that the older Lennox had so its kind of a wash.

10 days ago
8/10/07
TequilaYuen - I was really impressed by Lennox Lewis in this podcast. Truly self-assured, but also interested to learn. Notice how he doesn't talk over people. He listens when others speak. He doesn't feel a need to prove himself in conversation because he does it with his presence.

I like this post.  

10 days ago
1/1/01
TheDecider -

Lewis fought an 87 year old Tyson.  Holyfield was the most obviously juiced heavy in history.

#picos

lewis still a year older

10 days ago
11/16/09
baj54 -

That wasn't how that fight was going though.

Most people saw that the momentum had turned in like round 4 or 5. The cut was also very bad and it was getting worse, and with Lewis coming on as he had been, it would have only gotten worse. Wasn't a bad stoppage. Unfortunate, not bad.

10 days ago
7/8/02

man, so often he has guys on with actual old school experience and everytime they start to give some insight on the early days and Joe cuts them off to ask them what they think about knees to the head, or MMA on a basketball court or weed. Drives me crazy.

This Tyson/Lennox early meeting is almost urban legend. So glad we could hear about it from the man himself. 

10 days ago
1/1/01

I hate using the term alpha, but that’s what Lennox is. I’ve seen guys in Vegas say the craziest shot to him and he just smile politely. Tel him this guy or that guy would have kicked his ass, call him a fag. And he just responds with, sorry you feel that way or I beg to differ. 

His presence and manner is so at ease, especially when you factor in that he could cave a normal dudes skull in. I’ve see people talk crazy to him that a guy like broner would have killed them

10 days ago
1/1/01
Osbot -
baj54 -

That wasn't how that fight was going though.

Most people saw that the momentum had turned in like round 4 or 5. The cut was also very bad and it was getting worse, and with Lewis coming on as he had been, it would have only gotten worse. Wasn't a bad stoppage. Unfortunate, not bad.

I agree. Lennox had gained the upper hand. But he was done with his career. He was ‘training’ but he was unmotivated and gearing up for a no hoper. Impressive that he agreed to take on such a tough fight. 

So I know he’s not impressed with the antics of wilder and Joshua. Lennox fought every guy that was supposed to be tough. Mercer, Holyfield, tua. He had no problem with getting the deal done. Also something I admire about wlad as well. He also fought everyone and even went on the road to face guys