UnderGround Forums Let's talk Gordon Ryan

22 days ago
1/23/06
iqwrestler - 

He’s grappling bo nikal in a couple weeks. No guard pulling and no heel hooks, should be fun.

22 days ago
1/23/06

22 days ago
12/28/14
CRE -
iqwrestler - 

He’s grappling bo nikal in a couple weeks. No guard pulling and no heel hooks, should be fun.

It’s should be no leg attacks period. What’s the scoring criteria?

22 days ago
8/4/10

Goat in the making

22 days ago
5/11/11
failure at life -
CRE -
iqwrestler - 

It’s should be no leg attacks period. What’s the scoring criteria?

My bad. It is no leg locks period. You can use ashi garami to sweep but not as a finishing hold.

It’s bjj scoring with no guard pulling. 2 for a td/sweep,3 for a guard pass, 4 for mount... There will also be yellow and red cards for stalling.

The thing that’s going to make it almost impossible for Bo to win is that once a man has been taken down it’s the top guys responsibility to engage on the ground. So Bo can’t just rack up takedowns by letting him back up. 

13 days ago
11/10/13
CRE -

When was this lol

13 days ago
11/8/08
NORCAL707 -
CRE -

When was this lol

2016 ADCC trials

13 days ago
7/28/02

A guy who trains to finish vs a guy who trains to control in a ruleset where control can't end the match. We're back to the gracie challenge. Special rules to prove your art is superior doesn't prove much. Just go right to a vale tudo fight. 

13 days ago
1/3/08
John Clarke -

A guy who trains to finish vs a guy who trains to control in a ruleset where control can't end the match. We're back to the gracie challenge. Special rules to prove your art is superior doesn't prove much. Just go right to a vale tudo fight. 

It’s a bjj event, of course the bjj guy is favoured under the skill set, but adaptions have been made 

13 days ago
1/1/01

Aren't they also having a match where the rules favour the wrestler? 

10 days ago
3/17/06
tryonmytoupee - 
frumpy -
Meatgrinder - 
frumpy - 
jrj - How is it possible for someone to master bjj in such a short amount of time. I can't think of another sport where this happens. Like no one has ever walked on to a college ball field with out prior experience and been in the pro's 3 years later as one of the top athletes.

Or taken up wrestling at 15 and wins an Olympic hold at 20.

Any outliers in other sports? Seems so frequent in bjj Phone Post 3.0

good question.

Tiger Woods in golf comes to mind. was considered best golfer in world when in college by many. Mike Tyson was best boxer in world at 19. Akeem Olujawon only played basketball for about 5 years by the time he was a great NBA player. I would suggest Joel Embiid will be similar if his foot holds up but that is just an opinion. Randy Moss was probably the best receiver in the NFL as a rookie and probably would have been when he was in college as well if he would have been in the league instead. Mike Trout came into baseball at 21 and has been the best player in the game basically from day 1. Lebron would have been a very good NBA player when he was in high school. Wayne Gretzky came into the NHL at 18 and was probably the best player in the league from day 1. Magic Johnson scored 42 points and had 15 rebounds against the sixers in the clinching game of the NBA finals when Kareem was injured. He was 20 years old. Katie Ledecky was the best female distance swimmer in the world by the time she was 16. Obviously olympic gymnasts peak very young to the point of an age limit. I'm sure some people would disagree with some of these

tiger woods was on the david letterman show doing golf chip shots when he was about 3 years old... His father raised him specifically to be a profesisonal golfer... some of these guys that made it young were doing it since they were babies.

Dikembe Mutombo and hakeem olujawon did have too much experience with any related sport...but if you're 7' tall they'll figure out how to put you on a basketball court.

yes I agree. I was simply brainstorming on athletes that have possibly been best in the world by 20 years old. Obviously freakish height helps in basketball. I think Randy Moss could have fit the bill if he hadn't have played high school football. He didn't play very much college football. kept getting suspended and kicked off teams. nothing technical about what he did. Just freakish athletic talent. I believe Embiid will be in this type of conversation. Has only played about three years and talent looks off the charts. Size of mutumbo with skills and savant type skill acquistion of Olujawon. Rooting for him.

Female gymnasts have retired years before that

I don't think anybody has ever quoted me three years later. But thanks for quoting the thread where I predicted Joel Embiid being a great while the rest of the world was calling him a wasted draft pick. Just watched him go 15-15 from the line tonight in a close win. Katie Ledecky even more dominant now than she was then. And gordon probably is the best in the world although Galvao certainly has a claim.