UnderGround Forums Lou Neglia predicts Conor vs. Cowboy

5 days ago
1/1/01

Lou Neglia was a three-time world champion kickboxer, and simultaneously a world-class coach; he's now president of one of the most respected businesses in the MMA world, ROC, having promoted 200+ events. "The busiest man in the fight business" continues promoting ROC fighters and getting them to the highest level; to date he's sent over 125 fighters to the UFC, with four of them becoming world champions. Below he offers his sage thoughts on Saturday's main event - an easy win for Notorious.

"Conor McGregor has made some crazy predictions in the fight game but just like sports greats Muhammad Ali and Babe Ruth, his predictions unfolded just as he predicted," began Neglia. "What started off as a meteoric rise in the world of MMA has been taken off-path.

"He’s proven to be quite the businessman with starting his whiskey company and own clothing line. With being a young man and with a net worth of over $"200 million, you can be guilty of thinking you’re above the law which is the beginning of a trainwreck. 

"McGregor has obviously made bad lifestyle choices. With multiple altercations outside the cage to punching an old man in a bar and let’s not forget him throwing a dolly into a bus injuring multiple UFC fighters ... stupidity at its finest. With this lifestyle, it was impossible for the real McGregor to show up for the Khabib fight.

"Now McGregor has the possibility to turn this into a Cinderella story. He’ll win against Cerrone and the fans will force the rematch with Khabib. After that, he’ll ride off into the sunset knowing that money doesn’t buy passion for McGregor. Fighting does."

Conor McGregor fights Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone at UFC 246 on Saturday night.

5 days ago
5/4/10

I hope Cowboy proves Lou wrong, fights smart, and rides off into the sunset

5 days ago
3/18/14

"The fans will force a rematch with khabib"

Not exactly...

5 days ago
4/11/10

5 days ago
1/9/20

The fans are sick of seeing deserving #1 contenders overlooked constantly. I cant tell you how many times Dana told Jacare and moussavi that they had the next shot and was always overlooked. Conor is a perfect example how if someone undeserving is given a shot and capitalizes. Props to him. His timing was superb. (Conor was given a title shot too early imo, then given Aldo before cleaning out a division, while many deserving fighters were held up in a stacked division.)  Conor obviously beat Aldo but he will never be goat because he avoids people he knows are better then him.  Hes lucky he was given the decision in Diaz 2. Beat a relevant contender in the division you want to Challenge. Gathje should be next for khabib 

5 days ago
6/20/14
rudiger -

Not exactly...

If Conor beats Cowboy you can 100% believe that Conor vs khabib will happen. 

5 days ago
9/19/13

I’m just gonna say one thing. Lou Neglia isn’t very personable. I know from experience. 

5 days ago
3/29/11
Bare Spoon -

The fans are sick of seeing deserving #1 contenders overlooked constantly. I cant tell you how many times Dana told Jacare and moussavi that they had the next shot and was always overlooked. Conor is a perfect example how if someone undeserving is given a shot and capitalizes. Props to him. His timing was superb. (Conor was given a title shot too early imo, then given Aldo before cleaning out a division, while many deserving fighters were held up in a stacked division.)  Conor obviously beat Aldo but he will never be goat because he avoids people he knows are better then him.  Hes lucky he was given the decision in Diaz 2. Beat a relevant contender in the division you want to Challenge. Gathje should be next for khabib 

Who did McGregor avoid? 

5 days ago
3/16/16
PeaceThroughStrength -
Bare Spoon -

Who did McGregor avoid? 

Never fought any wrestler ever (1 week notice Mendez doesnt count), never fought any 155 contenders. I think he would get mauled by most guys at 155, Kevin Lee would man handle Dana's little boy toy.

5 days ago
7/19/13
PeaceThroughStrength -
Bare Spoon -

Who did McGregor avoid? 

Who did he ever HAVE to avoid? Dana ties up all loose ends for him. The promotion does the avoiding for him. Why hasn’t he fought Kevin Lee or anyone at 155lb yet? Or anybody at all outside of a titleshot at 155lb? Why were 1-6 tied up against each other suddenly at 145lb, leaving Conor to fight Siver for a titleshot? Why would you have to avoid anyone given how prompt the promotion is at securing your interests and progress? 

4 days ago
1/15/20
oranos -

I’m just gonna say one thing. Lou Neglia isn’t very personable. I know from experience. 

You are the first person, that I ever heard say, a negative thing about Lou Neglia. His reputation is impeccable & that's by all the people who are respected in the martial arts industry. I wonder who you are??

4 days ago
1/15/20

Love Ring of Combat shows, keep up the good work!! I totally agree with Lou. It appears that Connor is back & fully focused.  At least the guy is Man enough to admit he made mistakes.  I say knock out within the first round! 

4 days ago
2/15/06
Bare Spoon - 

What helps to deal with this is knowing that the UFC is a business first. Some of these decisions are more to make money than protect the integrity of their belts.

The deserving don't always get priority over those that will bring in the most attention, fans and money.
4 days ago
1/1/01
oranos - 

Given that everyone loves Lou, including me, it might could say more about you?

Edited: 4 days ago
9/19/13
shookydooky -
oranos -

You are the first person, that I ever heard say, a negative thing about Lou Neglia. His reputation is impeccable & that's by all the people who are respected in the martial arts industry. I wonder who you are??

You literally just made up your own narrative that had nothing to do with what I said and are shoving it in my face. Which isn’t at all surprising given that the average user of this forum has a hard time with elementary school context.

4 days ago
9/19/13
Kirik -
oranos - 

Or it could be that you aren’t talking from personal experience and I am.

4 days ago
1/1/01
oranos - 
Kirik -
oranos - 

I have been a huge fan of Lou's since maybe 1974 or so. We have not met. But I know way over 100 people that know him, and I have never heard a bad word. There's a vanishingly small number of people in the MMA space I can say that about.

4 days ago
9/19/13
Kirik -
oranos - 
Kirik -
oranos - 

I have been a huge fan of Lou's since maybe 1974 or so. We have not met. But I know way over 100 people that know him, and I have never heard a bad word. There's a vanishingly small number of people in the MMA space I can say that about.

Ok. Again I think there is some confusion between peoples respect for him as a figure of the MMA community and him being personable. They are not mutually exclusive.