UnderGround Forums Manager: Khabib's lightweight title isn't vacant

10/26/20 11:18 AM
1/1/01

UFC lightweight champion publicly retired after defeating Justin Gaethje in the main event of Saturday's UFC 254, and left his gloves in the Octagon. That naturally started speculation about who will fight for the vacated belt. However, Khabib's manager Ali Abdelaziz says the title is not vacated.

So, UG, what do you think that means?

10/26/20 11:30 AM
2/5/14

Conor still doing his best to delegitimize the sport. A fight against a shot cowboy at 170 and now he's fighting for the belt..fuck that shit. That cocksucker has zero shame. It needs to be JG vs someone just like when GSP vacated and Hendricks fought Lawler.

10/26/20 11:33 AM
1/30/16

So it’s going to be held hostage? Sounds terroristic.

10/26/20 11:34 AM
9/19/13

A “retirement” in UFC is a long break which ends with a hyped up mega return fight.

10/26/20 11:37 AM
7/18/11
danybayamon23 -

10/26/20 11:41 AM
1/22/05
GoldbergsAdderall -

Conor still doing his best to delegitimize the sport. A fight against a shot cowboy at 170 and now he's fighting for the belt..fuck that shit. That cocksucker has zero shame. It needs to be JG vs someone just like when GSP vacated and Hendricks fought Lawler.

JG just lost his title shot, convincingly. Conor had a much better performance against Khabib.

Why would JG get another shot over anyone else?

I think a tournament makes most sense.

Conor vs Poirier

Tony vs Chandler

Gaethje vs Dan Hooker

Islam Makachev vs Diego Ferreira. 

10/26/20 11:45 AM
1/1/01
JOB -
GoldbergsAdderall -

JG just lost his title shot, convincingly. Conor had a much better performance against Khabib.

Conor vs Poirier

Tony vs Chandler

Gaethje vs Dan Hooker

Hooker just lost to Barboza and Poirier in recent fights.

Oliveira should get his spot. Seven fight winning streak, seven finishes and just finished Lee. Finishing Lee is what Tony did to win a title but everyone ignores it when Charles does it.

Edited: 10/26/20 12:14 PM
2/5/14
JOB -
GoldbergsAdderall -

Conor vs Poirier

Tony vs Chandler

Gaethje vs Dan Hooker

I'm totally cool with a tournament. Just not putting Conor directly into a title fight is all. I think it be better for the division and the eventual champion if they went that route. As far as justin goes, he was ranked #1 and lost to the only man in front of him. With that man gone where does that place him?

10/26/20 12:16 PM
1/22/05
BJ Penn Forever -
JOB -
GoldbergsAdderall -

Conor vs Poirier

Tony vs Chandler

Gaethje vs Dan Hooker

Oliveira should get his spot. Seven fight winning streak, seven finishes and just finished Lee. Finishing Lee is what Tony did to win a title but everyone ignores it when Charles does it.

Hooker also has wins over Gilbert Burns, Paul Felder and Al Iaquinta in the same timeframe. Oliveira has losses to Felder, Lamas and Pettis in the past 4 years, although granted he's on a good run right now. 

Hooker and Oliveira are both good candidates - But if Gaethje is in the tournament, it has to be an 8-man tournament - so you need to figure out who the final 2 guys are. Perhaps they could fight each other instead of Makachev, but I'd like to see Makachev involved as a wild card. 

10/26/20 12:45 PM
1/1/01
JOB -
BJ Penn Forever -
JOB -
GoldbergsAdderall -

Conor vs Poirier

Tony vs Chandler

Gaethje vs Dan Hooker

Hooker also has wins over Gilbert Burns, Paul Felder and Al Iaquinta in the same timeframe. Oliveira has losses to Felder, Lamas and Pettis in the past 4 years, although granted he's on a good run right now. 

Hooker and Oliveira are both good candidates - But if Gaethje is in the tournament, it has to be an 8-man tournament - so you need to figure out who the final 2 guys are. Perhaps they could fight each other instead of Makachev, but I'd like to see Makachev involved as a wild card. 

You are right, they are both good candidates but we don't have to worry about it. Dana is not giving us the awesome tourny we dream of.

10/26/20 12:49 PM
8/20/03
Kirik - 

UFC lightweight champion publicly retired after defeating Justin Gaethje in the main event of Saturday's UFC 254, and left his gloves in the Octagon. That naturally started speculation about who will fight for the vacated belt. However, Khabib's manager Ali Abdelaziz says the title is not vacated.

So, UG, what do you think that means?

It means Ali sh*t his pants when Khabib said he was retired and is terrified his pocketbook is about to shrink.

Either that or hAli's masters are worried they cannot funnel money as easy as they were doing because Khabib is retiring.
10/26/20 1:51 PM
1/1/01
JOB -
GoldbergsAdderall -

Conor vs Poirier

Tony vs Chandler

Gaethje vs Dan Hooker

If you are counting survival time as the most important aspect of having a better performance,  sure.

10/26/20 2:18 PM
10/10/11
SickEye -
danybayamon23 -

This is the best post/reply I’ve seen in ages. No more ug from now on, I’m quitting on top and deleting the app. 

thanks for all the memories.

Edited: 10/26/20 2:23 PM
1/1/01

Ali gonna say Justin still champ lol

10/26/20 2:38 PM
2/3/11
GoldbergsAdderall -

Well, Hendricks was robbed against GSP. Gaethje was a pushover for Khabib, so not quite the same.

10/26/20 2:40 PM
12/3/02

Dan Hooker isn’t in the mix. 

Edited: 10/26/20 2:45 PM
1/1/15

Oliveira vs El Cucuy

Chandler vs Poirier

Gaetjhe vs Connor

2 most impressive wins fight for title

(In my fantasy world)

10/26/20 2:46 PM
3/13/12

Let Conor & Poirier do their charity fight, Then have Conor vs Tony Main event & Gaetjhe vs Poirier co main, Chandler can have the loser of Gaetjhe vs Poirier

10/26/20 2:57 PM
2/9/09
BJTT-OGtripleOG -

Oliveira vs El Cucuy

Chandler vs Poirier

Gaetjhe vs Connor

2 most impressive wins fight for title

(In my fantasy world)

Im gonna roll with this, but change a few things around. 

Dustin vs Tony

Conor vs Gaethje 

Oliveria vs Chandler* winner is back up fighter

Lets say Tony and Conor win, id have them fight for the title, and make the Co-main whoever looked better between Dustin and Gaethje and set them up against Oliveria/Chandler winner for No.1 contender 

10/26/20 2:57 PM
2/9/09
Mojo514 -

Let Conor & Poirier do their charity fight, Then have Conor vs Tony Main event & Gaetjhe vs Poirier co main, Chandler can have the loser of Gaetjhe vs Poirier

What about Oliveira?

10/26/20 2:58 PM
2/18/20

The two best fighters in division are Conor and Islam.  Then Poirier.

From a business perspective, the UFC needs Conor as the Champ due to name recognition.  

I'd say make Dustin and Conor for the belt.  Conor wins.  His first defense is Ferguson, which he wins.

Let Gaethje and Chandler fight.  Winner gets third shot.

Islam needs a few big name wins.

But to be honest, I don't think anyone beats Conor outside of maybe Islam.

10/26/20 3:22 PM
7/2/09

It's ridiculous that Chandler is being ponied around as one of the contenders when Hooker isnt.

10/26/20 3:36 PM
4/11/11

Conor actually matches up great with all the contenders. 

10/26/20 3:43 PM
2/5/14
Eric Bloodaxe -
GoldbergsAdderall -

Well, Hendricks was robbed against GSP. Gaethje was a pushover for Khabib, so not quite the same.

I can agree with how the fights played out should be a point to consider.(Hendricks was robbed btw). But everyone has been mauled by khabib. So I don't know if that's a standard to measure by. Well what do you do with JG? He can't possibly go behind Tony at #3. They need a tournament at the very least. Whoever becomes champ is not really the best LW in the world. They need to build it up to gain some public interest.

10/26/20 3:46 PM
2/14/11

There’s no way Dana passes up the chance to make Conor his Champ again. He’s going to make Conor vs Dustin the title fight. 

I’m not advocating this just appreciating it makes the most economic sense. We have to remember the UFC isn’t, and never will be a meritocracy.