UnderGround Forums Mark Wahlberg to star in ‘Spenser Confidential'

Edited: 12 days ago
1/1/01

Mark Wahlberg will star in an upcoming Netflix original film about an ex-cop and his aspiring MMA fighter sidekick who together unravel a twisted double murder conspiracy in Boston’s criminal underworld. 

In the original books and series, sidekick Hawk was a retired boxer, but in "Spenser Confidential", Hawk (Winston Duke) is an MMA fighter. The film also features Alan Arkin, Iliza Shlesinger, Post Malone, Bokeem Woodbine, Cassie Ventura, and Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. Wahlberg is a notable fan of MMA, and owns equity in the UFC.

It will be the fifth collaboration between Wahlberg and director Peter Berg, after “Lone Survivor”, “Deepwater Horizon”, “Patriots Day”, and “Mile 22.” The film is an adaptation of the Ace Atkins novel “Wonderland,” based on the Spenser character in Robert B. Parker’s series of detective novels. “Spenser Confidential” is scheduled to be released March 6, 2020.

h/t Brittany BowkerBoston.com

14 days ago
8/12/09
will he be the same boston cop who single handedly tracked down and caught the boston marathon bombers?
13 days ago
1/1/01

Spenser's a private detective, former cop.

13 days ago
10/3/16
jake11 - will he be the same boston cop who single handedly tracked down and caught the boston marathon bombers?

Or the one Boston cop that shot Matt Damon in the head?

13 days ago
1/1/01

Most people here are probably too young to remember the TV show “Spenser for Hire”. Used to be one of my faves. 

13 days ago
1/1/01
djones - 

Most people here are probably too young to remember the TV show “Spenser for Hire”. Used to be one of my faves. 

So this is a re-imagining of the Spenser for Hire series? And the 80s series was based off of a series of books?
13 days ago
1/18/03
djones - 

I remember that show.

He was an ex boxer and drove a classic green Mustang.

It was grittier and a bit more hard boiled than Simon and Simon or Riptide.
13 days ago
10/11/09

Please be good, please be good, please be good...

13 days ago
1/1/01
Liyon - 
djones - 

So this is a re-imagining of the Spenser for Hire series? And the 80s series was based off of a series of books?

Yeah, thi sis a remake of Spenser for Hire.
Robert B Parker wrote the Spenser series.
He also wrote the Appaloosa Series (movie with Vigo Mortensen). Jesse Stone series (Tom Seleck movies).
Dude did a lot of detective novels and westerns that were made into movies.
13 days ago
5/29/11
djones -

Robert Ulrich, great show!  Was on around the same time as the Equalizer.

13 days ago
6/10/02

I am a huge Robert B Parker fan, Spenser novels in particular.  Yes, Parker pretty much wrote the same novel over and over again the last 20 years of his life, but dammit, I enjoyed them and was very sad when he died.

Of course I'm going to see this movie. But i already know it's going to piss me off. Already i have the same issue with it that the Reacher fans had with midget Cruise. Spenser is supposed to be a 6'1" former heavyweight boxer. Markey Mark is like half that size. Also, while cocky and sarcastic, Spenser is a very well read intellectual who often makes literary quotes. I don't see Marky Mark pulling that off.

13 days ago
6/10/02
24vdc -

Please be good, please be good, please be good...

I know. Wahlberg and Berg make good movies together, and I'm sure I will enjoy seeing glimpses of the Spenser universe on screen again, but I have a feeling I will leave the theater more angry than happy.

13 days ago
6/10/02
djones -

Oh I remember. I have the first 2 seasons on disc. Ulrich wasn't quite the perfect Spenser, but he was close and such a likeable actor that he made the role his own.

Avery Brooks fucking WAS Hawk. It's going to be hard to follow him. I hope this movie has a Brooks cameo as a call back.

13 days ago
6/10/02

I have a feeling Wahlberg is going to play Spenser too Boston-y "say hi to your muddah for me" when Spenser is actually a man of the West who came to Boston as an adolescent.

12 days ago
12/15/00
oldnslow -
djones -

Oh I remember. I have the first 2 seasons on disc. Ulrich wasn't quite the perfect Spenser, but he was close and such a likeable actor that he made the role his own.

Avery Brooks fucking WAS Hawk. It's going to be hard to follow him. I hope this movie has a Brooks cameo as a call back.

Just from that screenshot, I have my doubts...Hawk was the stoic and understated badass...the real Hawk would be cool as a cucumber regardless of what was going on in that truck. 

12 days ago
6/30/07
C4mac -
djones -

Parked in the living room as I recall. Made me want to live in a warehouse.

12 days ago
6/29/05

I love Marky, and definitely will watch

But Mark is a little long in tooth to be “an aspiring MMA fighter”

12 days ago
6/30/07
Mountain Medic -
C4mac -
djones -

Parked in the living room as I recall. Made me want to live in a warehouse.

Ok, I'm totally thinking of a different show. But why do I remember hawk so well but have everything wrong, lol?

12 days ago
1/15/07
effinggoof - 
djones - 

I remember that show.

He was an ex boxer and drove a classic green Mustang.

It was grittier and a bit more hard boiled than Simon and Simon or Riptide.

Avery Brooks as Hawk was also good in it. I always thought of it as kind of a blue collar Magnum PI. 

12 days ago
12/17/19

Great. Another Marky Mark movie. How is this guy still famous?

12 days ago
1/1/01

I was confused as a kid. Hawk died on Spencer: For Hire, they was alive on the spin off, A Man Called Hawk...

12 days ago
12/15/00
Slapsymaxi -

I was confused as a kid. Hawk died on Spencer: For Hire, they was alive on the spin off, A Man Called Hawk...

Totally forgot about the Hawk spinoff...my dad and I loved Spenser when I was a kid and we loved the Hawk spinoff.  

We had a whole list of shows he and I would watch together...Hardcastle and McCormick, MacGyver, Raven, Walker Texas Ranger, Renegade, Vanishing Son etc. 

12 days ago
1/1/01
I'm glad someone mentioned Robert Ulrich, b/c I was picturing Fred Dryer (Hunter)!
12 days ago
6/14/15
Liyon -
djones - 

I remember Cpt Sisko was his sidekick before he got ported to the future.

11 days ago
1/1/01
ryanJ -
Slapsymaxi -

Totally forgot about the Hawk spinoff...my dad and I loved Spenser when I was a kid and we loved the Hawk spinoff.  

We had a whole list of shows he and I would watch together...Hardcastle and McCormick, MacGyver, Raven, Walker Texas Ranger, Renegade, Vanishing Son etc. 

Man my dad and I watched those same shows! Walker Texas Ranger is another all time favorite