UnderGround Forums Masvidal- The most underrated fightet in MMA ?

Edited: 14 days ago
6/7/14

I think for years this guy has been so over-looked by the casual fan. His all-round game is superb, under the radar for years, and finally he is getting his due desserts. 

I love to see that. 

In the same way Nate set himself up for life with the Conor fights, Masvidal is finally getting the respect his skills and dedication to the game he deserves. 

Name me another MMA fighter that has been over-looked and under-rated as much as Masvidal ? 

Im all ears..? 

14 days ago
12/9/02

there arent any.

14 days ago
5/11/05

Not overlooked he’s been in the mix and finally hit his stride and has been performing much better than in the past. 

14 days ago
6/7/14

Sorry for the typo, *fighter.

14 days ago
6/7/14

I was in London live for the Till fight, my son is a huge Till fan, but I said before the fight, 'Son, don't sleep on Masvidal, Till ain't taking this..."'

Boom.

14 days ago
10/3/16

Overrated 

14 days ago
6/7/14
MarcusAurelioFan -

Overrated 

Break that down...? 

14 days ago
10/3/16
Jimmy G -
MarcusAurelioFan -

Overrated 

Break that down...? 

Over

Rated

14 days ago
6/7/14
MarcusAurelioFan -
Jimmy G -
MarcusAurelioFan -

Overrated 

Break that down...? 

Over

Rated

Well, you won that argument hands-down. Genius and props for your articulate and precise debating analytics. 

Well done Nate. 

14 days ago
5/20/19

Every fighter has GOOD and BAD runs.

I don't know why this is such a hard concept for people to understand.

When you're winning, everybody loves you.

But lose one or two fights and Masvidal will be treated like a Leper, just like Diaz is now.

Fight fans are scumbags.

14 days ago
6/7/14
HoneyGlazedJinx -

But lose one or two fights and Masvidal will be treated like a Leper, just like Diaz is now.

Fight fans are scumbags.

This doesnt apply here unless you're a fair-weather fan. 

Masvidal has paid his dues, Till, Askren, and Nate off the belt. And it was how he won each fight. 

14 days ago
2/14/11

Funny, I’ve never seen you talk about him until recently.

Lol, GTFO pretending you’re some lifelong Masvidal fan :D

14 days ago
6/7/14
Outlaw’d by Lytle -

Funny, I’ve never seen you talk about him until recently.

Lol, GTFO pretending you’re some lifelong Masvidal fan :D

Since when the fuck did I say I was a life-long fan ? And Ive never spoke to you in my life...? 

WTF ? 

Go read through my posts, go see I called Bones in 3 v Shogun, or that Conor broke Aldo mentally waaay before Aldo first pulled out. Guys like you laughed back then. 

12/9/02

I've never paid attention to Masvidal. I was shocked at his hand speed, accuracy, power, ability to close the distance, and mix up his punches the way he did. 

14 days ago
1/1/01
I could argue he's the most overrated right now.
14 days ago
10/27/03
Jimmy G -

I think for years this guy has been so over-looked by the casual fan. His all-round game is superb, under the radar for years, and finally he is getting his due desserts. 

I love to see that. 

In the same way Nate set himself up for life with the Conor fights, Masvidal is finally getting the respect his skills and dedication to the game he deserves. 

Name me another MMA fighter that has been over-looked and under-rated as much as Masvidal ? 

Im all ears..? 

He wasn't overlooked. 

In the 3 year period, from start of 2015 to end of 2017 he had 4 wins and 5 losses.  

That is not a good record.

He took 2018 off, regrouped and has now came back to put together 3 impressive wins in a row in 2019.

1/1/01
FingerorMoon - 
Jimmy G -

I love to see that. 

Im all ears..? 

He wasn't overlooked. 

In the 3 year period, from start of 2015 to end of 2017 he had 4 wins and 5 losses.  

That is not a good record.

He took 2018 off, regrouped and has now came back to put together 3 impressive wins in a row in 2019.

I don't think he's underrated, if anything, he's overrated (people are taking about superfight with GSP, Khabib, etc.), but to be fair he won all 3 fights in 2014 before that 3 year period, and 4 out of his 5 losses in that period were split decision losses.
12/7/18
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Fight fans are scumbags.

This post wins not just this thread but wins the internet. Same scumbag assholes who call Conor washed just because of 1 loss to Khabob while off a 2 year lay off. Those same morons will be back on the banwagon when Conor wins the rematch. while "flavor of the month" Khabib will go back to being irrelevant or hated, like he was before Conor gave him his 15 mins

14 days ago
2/25/15

As FingerMoon said, the reason he was over looked is in the 3 year period, from start of 2015 to end of 2017 he had 4 wins and 5 losses.

That clearly looks really bad.

But when you look closer at those losses, 4 of them are split decisions.

First, he lost to Laquinta. But that was one of the worst robbery i've ever seen. Masvidal was toying with laquinta. MMAdecisions was 90% in favor of masvidal.

Then he lost to Henderson. This was way less controversial but it was a close fight.

His fight to larkin could have been really different if it was a 5 rounder. Masvidal was killing it in third room. He took too long to start fightning.

His fight vs Maia is interesting in the sense 2 judges gave it to masvidal for round 1, and 2 judges ALSO gave it to masvidal in round 2. So it could easily have ended up being a win for masvidal.

Overall i feel like old Masvidal was kinda taking it too easy and was happy getting boring decisions if he thought he won. New one is much more agressive and stopped trusting judges.

14 days ago
10/27/03
floofy - 

As FingerMoon said, the reason he was over looked is in the 3 year period, from start of 2015 to end of 2017 he had 4 wins and 5 losses.

First, he lost to Laquinta. But that was one of the worst robbery i've ever seen. Masvidal was toying with laquinta. MMAdecisions was 90% in favor of masvidal.

Then he lost to Henderson. This was way less controversial but it was a close fight.

His fight to larkin could have been really different if it was a 5 rounder. Masvidal was killing it in third room. He took too long to start fightning.

His fight vs Maia is interesting in the sense 2 judges gave it to masvidal for round 1, and 2 judges ALSO gave it to masvidal in round 2. So it could easily have ended up being a win for masvidal.

Overall i feel like old Masvidal was kinda taking it too easy and was happy getting boring decisions if he thought he won. New one is much more agressive and stopped trusting judges.

Nice write up.
13 days ago
6/7/14
floofy -

Brilliant and spot on. 

13 days ago
1/23/06
KSI
13 days ago
11/20/05
Jimmy G - 

I love to see that. 

Im all ears..? 

I don't think he was underrated. He was a good journeyman who has just soared very recently. He didn't particularly stand out before.
13 days ago
1/27/12
ConorWinsTheRematch -
HoneyGlazedJinx -

Fight fans are scumbags.

This post wins not just this thread but wins the internet. Same scumbag assholes who call Conor washed just because of 1 loss to Khabob while off a 2 year lay off. Those same morons will be back on the banwagon when Conor wins the rematch. while "flavor of the month" Khabib will go back to being irrelevant or hated, like he was before Conor gave him his 15 mins

I don't think people are writing conor off just bc of the one loss.

It is 2 or 3 losses, plus the influence of money, partying, and inactivity.