UnderGround Forums Masvidal: I have the formula to beat Usman now

7/12/20 12:28 PM
1/1/01

Jorge Masvidal took a title shot on six days' notice and came up short vs. welterweight champion Kamaru Usman in the main event of UFC 251 on Saturday night. At the post-fight press conference, "Gamebred" offered no excuses.

“I hate coming up short,” said Masvidal. “I’m not going to make no excuses. He was the better man tonight. There were some areas where I didn’t give him enough credit, and there were some areas I felt with a better training camp I could definitely surpass him. I think I showed a lot of my wrestling on six days’ notice that I’m not too easy to take down and to hold down on the ground.

“I made a lot of mistakes. I tried to fight in spots, since I didn’t feel my gas tank was the greatest. He fought in better spots. Right when I’d get loose and open up, he was able to clinch me up and take it back into his world. So I’m not going to take anything away from him. He won fair and square. I’ll do whatever it takes to get back in front of that man and compete again and get my hand raised.”

“The weight cut was tough like everybody knows. I had a little bit of weight to cut but I’m not going to sit here and make excuses. He won. I gambled the dice on myself. I knew I didn’t have the greatest gas tank coming in but I’m still a dangerous man. Six days, one day, six weeks, so hats off to him. We’ll do it again.

"He knows that I’m no pushover. I just feel like I let a lot of people down. It was a s****y performance.”

“I’ve got a good formula in my head though on how to beat him the next time. I thought I had the formula. Now I know the formula — it takes a lot of gas tank, a lot of conditioning, a lot more wrestling rounds with high-level guys. So I definitely got a square root on how to beat this guy.”

"I want to take his head off even more now that he beat me. I just feel like me and him now we don’t have to promote the next fight [with trash talk]. We don’t have to talk about each other’s religion or ethnicities or nothing like that. He said some things that weren’t necessary and I’m sure I said some things that probably weren’t the best.

“I just think about the future generations. You don’t have to promote fights like that to sell pay-per-views. I heard that this card did great anyways but I feel it doesn’t have to be promoted like that, especially for the younger guys coming up. They don’t need to think you always need to talk s*** to sell a pay-per-view or disrespect a man’s religion or anything like that. We’ll do it again.”

h/t Damon Martin for MMA Fighting

7/12/20 12:32 PM
4/21/09

No... Just no.

Wasted fight for him anyway. He might have 5-7 good fights left in him and he needs to be matched up with guys that want to strike. I don't care to see him get another title shot but there are so many good opponents for him and I don't feel like his stock fell at all last night. 

7/12/20 12:37 PM
9/28/10

Perfect time for the Nate Diaz rematch

7/12/20 1:08 PM
9/11/09

From the looks of it, he blew his load in the first round and usman made it impossible for him to recover.  He came out tried to prove a point and ended up underestimating usman. As much of a "non finisher" usman may be, he's still the fucking champ. Masvidal believed his own hype. He's never been a first round finisher but he came out in the first round fighting like he was going to put Usman away fast throwing heat. If he paced himself properly, it would have been a different fight.  Disappointing performance by a savvy vet who should've known better. If he gives us a patient look next time, I think he beats Usman without much trouble.

7/12/20 1:17 PM
1/9/11
rumble_fish -

From the looks of it, he blew his load in the first round and usman made it impossible for him to recover.  He came out tried to prove a point and ended up underestimating usman. As much of a "non finisher" usman may be, he's still the fucking champ. Masvidal believed his own hype. He's never been a first round finisher but he came out in the first round fighting like he was going to put Usman away fast throwing heat. If he paced himself properly, it would have been a different fight.  Disappointing performance by a savvy vet who should've known better. If he gives us a patient look next time, I think he beats Usman without much trouble.

More like Masvidal knew he didn't have the gas tank to be competitive over 5 rounds, and as a result, attempted to end the bout early.

7/12/20 1:38 PM
1/11/17
Bam57Bam -

No... Just no.

Wasted fight for him anyway. He might have 5-7 good fights left in him and he needs to be matched up with guys that want to strike. I don't care to see him get another title shot but there are so many good opponents for him and I don't feel like his stock fell at all last night. 

Fighting for a belt is not a waste of a fight. At this stage of his career he wants as many PPV point type fights as possible.

I get you don't care to see it (haha) but for him, the UFC and many fans it makes all the sense in the world.

If he had a half decent performance on such short notice it was always on the cards for there to be a rematch. What other great fight are we hoping to put together for the champ?

7/12/20 1:50 PM
5/13/05

I was impressed by Jorge's scrambles, ground defense, and takedown defense. Usman got deep on his hips a few times and Jorge still stuffed him. I would like to see them fight with a full camp but first let Masvidal beat up Nate again.

7/12/20 2:03 PM
7/12/16

Jorge is definitely in my top 5 fighters of all time. 

Mir

Cerrone

Silva 

Faber 

Masvidal

In no particular order. 

7/12/20 2:15 PM
12/8/12

5 more rounds of of shoulder thrusts and foot stomps? No thanks

7/12/20 2:15 PM
1/1/01

That wall and stall was awful.  I can understand why Usman did it fit he didn’t back up his shit talk

Edited: 7/12/20 3:44 PM
8/26/11

:)

7/12/20 2:51 PM
2/3/11
IGotCMSpunked -

Perfect time for the Nate Diaz rematch

Yeah, this makes sense. If Nate is down, who knows...

7/12/20 3:06 PM
7/10/02

His wrestling takedowm defense was impressive, it was. But NOT his inability to avoid the clinch, nor getting stuck against the cage. And that's what cost him the match, not the few takedowns in the open or from the fence.

As for his cardio, I sure give him a pass given the last minute deal.

Edited: 7/12/20 3:53 PM
7/12/16

7/12/20 4:31 PM
8/20/16

“I’ve got a good formula in my head though on how to beat him the next time. I thought I had the formula. Now I know the formula — it takes a lot of gas tank, a lot of conditioning, a lot more wrestling rounds with high-level guys. So I definitely got a square root on how to beat this guy.”

This made me lol. I would love to hear what his old formula was for training to fight a superior wrestler.

7/12/20 5:02 PM
4/11/11
blabbermouth -

This made me lol. I would love to hear what his old formula was for training to fight a superior wrestler.

What do you expect him to say? I find it ridiculous people critising what a guy says after a fight.

7/12/20 6:19 PM
12/4/18

Mike Perry would be a great matchup for him. They are both street fighters 

7/12/20 6:28 PM
10/6/02
rumble_fish - 

Hindesight is always 20/20
Edited: 7/12/20 6:45 PM
7/30/03
Sprawl'n'Stall - His wrestling takedowm defense was impressive, it was. But NOT his inability to avoid the clinch, nor getting stuck against the cage. And that's what cost him the match, not the few takedowns in the open or from the fence.

As for his cardio, I sure give him a pass given the last minute deal.

I think it was his choice to stay in the clinch. I think he purposely stayed outside the center with his back against the cage and I think he could have escaped once he was pinned against the cage, but I think he probably felt like he could perform better against the cage avoiding the takedown and once he was in the clinch I think he never felt threatend and decide to stay longer than he should have for cardio reasons.

A prepared Masvidal cardio wise gives a different fight than what we saw last night imo.

7/12/20 6:36 PM
4/11/10

E

7/12/20 6:49 PM
7/12/14
rumble_fish - 

I think this is a perfect observation. In the first round he came out strong with the strikes but Usman had to remind him what would happen if Usman didn't like his striking. Next thing I'd like to see is Mas set up those kicks better. He seemed to be doing some real damage but again, Usman was able to capitalize because the kicks didn't have a good enough set up.
7/12/20 8:38 PM
5/8/13

Square root?  Who wrote this, Kirik? lol 

7/12/20 8:47 PM
8/8/18

His formula on how to beat him is

"it takes a lot of gas tank, a lot of conditioning, a lot more wrestling rounds with high-level guys"

So having a training camp is having the "square root" on how to beat Usman?

Que interesante Jorge

7/12/20 9:16 PM
8/26/11

Masvidal hasn't had 4 consecutive wins in 12 years. His only legit win was Darren Till. The dude is a massive hype job that had no business fighting the champ. Especially on weeks notice. 

7/12/20 9:23 PM
7/21/18
Kevin85 -

Jorge is definitely in my top 5 fighters of all time. 

Mir

Cerrone

Silva 

Faber 

Masvidal

In no particular order. 

Was he in your top 5 before this resurrection in his career or have you always been a fan?